Who Owns the Duck Blind? (edited)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Who Owns the Duck Blind? (edited)

Postby GomerPyle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm

so I got bored and e-scouted Reelfoot Lake in NW Tenn.....just using google maps for 5 minutes, I was able to find 20-30 duck blinds scattered all over this public lake. So, I did some more research and was able to Identify several of the blinds on different "outfitters" websites...talking about making reservations early and openings are rare, etc etc etc...

so, my question is, who actually "owns" the blinds? I was under the impression that if you build a blind on public land, it then becomes public property. what's to keep Joe Blow Duckhunter from just getting to one of those blinds ahead of the guides/customers and "beating them to their spot"? do they really have a legal right to the blind?
Last edited by GomerPyle on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Re: Who Owns the Duck Blind?

Postby MarkM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Down here if it is public land, it is public use. First come, first serve.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Same here unless it is a draw lake. Then I believe that it is first come first serve if the "owner" doesn't show up 15 min before LST
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:23 pm

didn't think about the "draw lake" thing...so, for what it's worth, it's Reelfoot Lake in NW Tenn...and yeah you can find blinds all over the place on/around the lake

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Re: Who Owns the Duck Blind? (edited)

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Used to be private blinds. And some are grandfathered in.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:28 pm

http://www.tn.gov/twra/waterfowl.html

Permanent Registered & Permanent Draw Blinds
Waterfowl hunting on all the above WMAs (except Big Sandy, Camden Unit II, Harmon Creek, Barkley Unit II, Reelfoot, and West Sandy) permitted only from permanent blinds allocated by the hand-held drawing, unless otherwise specified. On Big Sandy, Camden Unit II, Harmon’s Creek, Barkley Unit II, Reelfoot, and West Sandy hunting is permitted from registered blinds and from temporary blinds or hides. Blinds, blind materials, boats, hides, and decoys must be removed from temporary sites at the end of the shooting hours each day.
Blind permittee, the person to whom the TWRA issued the permit, must occupy his/her blind by the legal daily opening shooting time on days he/she wishes to hunt, and if the blind is unoccupied at that time by the permittee, the first person or party occupying the blind shall be entitled to the privilege of its exclusive and uninterrupted use until the end of shooting hours that day. Exclusive and uninterrupted use entitles the person or party the right to exclude all others from the blind at the person’s or party’s option, except for law enforcement personnel engaged in the performance of their duties. The permittee has priority use (exclusive and uninterrupted) only if he/she is at the blind on or before the legal daily opening shooting time, regardless of whether or not the blind is occupied by another person or party, provided the permittee produces identification and his/her blind permit. No more than 8 individuals age 16 or older may occupy a permanent draw blind at any time. No restrictions on the number of youths under age 16.
West Sandy (Springville Bottoms) and Reelfoot registered blinds West Sandy blind sites must be registered at the designated location on the first Saturday in August by 10:00 a.m. CDT. Reelfoot blinds must be registered with the TWRA manager prior to August 1. Lifetime Sportsman License or Sportsman License or an Annual Small Game and Waterfowl Permit (Type 091), or Type 167 is required at registration except Reelfoot where a Reelfoot Duck Blind Permit (Type 025) is required. Individuals claiming blind sites on these areas may not compete for blind site drawings on other areas.
All blind sites will be given a registration number, which must be displayed, using lettering 2 inches or larger inside the blind, or on a stake at floating blind sites. When floating blinds are moved to designated blind stakes, the number must be immediately transferred from the stake to the blind. No blind may be constructed, repaired or any floating blinds moved onto the area that have not met the deadlines for registering the blind and displaying the registration number. Unregistered and/or unnumbered blinds are subject to removal.
No blind may be locked or barricaded to deny entrance to other hunters when the blind is not in use.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:31 pm

makes sense....'preciate it

GomerPyle
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:58 am

some a re private, some are draw.. all are open to public hunting if a card holder is not presant by legal shooting time..

that said, you crawl in to the wrong blind (legal or not) you may get your head caved in.. some of them guys do not play well with others..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 am

Same way here. You can register a spot and build on the river, but if you are not there by 1/2hr before shooting time it is open to the public.... but you DO NOT crawl in someone else's blind unless you know them, legal or not. Some of the guys here are a rough crowd and if they show up for an afternoon hunt and you are in their blind you are going to get a beatdown.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:05 pm

We pay 50 bucks for each spot we draw. We have to construct the blind by a certain date and torn down by a certain date. No one is allowed in our blind. No way around it. They can set up in front next to or hovered over it but not in it. If I show up for a evening hunt and they are ten feet from the blind and sitting in their boat, they have to move. Now they are to close to a draw blind. It sucks the years you don't get drawn but its great on the years that you do.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:10 pm

possumfoot wrote:some a re private, some are draw.. all are open to public hunting if a card holder is not presant by legal shooting time..

that said, you crawl in to the wrong blind (legal or not) you may get your head caved in.. some of them guys do not play well with others..

Thank God Louisiana has very strong hunter harassment laws. some guys down here were doing that to people and just so happened one day it was a retired agent with connections. Next weekend, there were 2 state and 1 federal wardens sitting in the blind waiting on them. When the threats started, numerous tickets were written. All 4 guys had to go to court and the judge gave them the stiffest penalty allowed by law.
Word travels fast if a group of hunters are harassing people now.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:some a re private, some are draw.. all are open to public hunting if a card holder is not presant by legal shooting time..

Thank God Louisiana has very strong hunter harassment laws. some guys down here were doing that to people and just so happened one day it was a retired agent with connections. Next weekend, there were 2 state and 1 federal wardens sitting in the blind waiting on them. When the threats started, numerous tickets were written. All 4 guys had to go to court and the judge gave them the stiffest penalty allowed by law.

heck, several years ago a state trooper shot a guy for hopping his blind. (not sure if he was retired or not)

i know people that have piicked up decoys all morning because someone hopped their blind.. (legal as the decoys were theirs).

know of another guy that hopped on the top of the blind and started dumping gas.. said he was bout to move a floater in and it might be in their best interst to leave..

like i say, they don't play well with others.. more than a few whoopins have been given out too.. and jail don't scare alot of them boys..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:31 pm

possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

heck, several years ago a state trooper shot a guy for hopping his blind. (not sure if he was retired or not)

i know people that have piicked up decoys all morning because someone hopped their blind.. (legal as the decoys were theirs).

know of another guy that hopped on the top of the blind and started dumping gas.. said he was bout to move a floater in and it might be in their best interst to leave..

like i say, they don't play well with others.. more than a few whoopins have been given out too.. and jail don't scare alot of them boys..

maybe not jail, but the fines and loss of hunting rights would.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

naw.. they don't really care.. there was an old guy the died not to long ago that i don't think ever bought a license and he hunted every day of season for over 30 years..

they have also been known to wait on folks at the ramp..

its not as bad as it used to be, but there are a few of em still out there..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

possumfoot wrote:

Indaswamp wrote:

Good thing there are few hunters and even less permanent blinds down here in AZ. Sounds like the exact kind of business folks down here will shoot each other over!
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 am

A lot of blinds mysteriously catch on fire down there. New guy gets a spot, he builds it, sets it, covers it, then when he's all done with it, it burns just when season opens.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole