Duck Hunting Forum banner

Strangest thing you've ever found in the woods?

27K views 239 replies 90 participants last post by  Maxlow3507 
#1 ·
What's the strangest thing you've ever found in the woods?

Saw this on a couple other forums I visit and there were some hilarious responses, and some really creepy ones too.

I haven't found many strange things than I can think of right off but if I remember I'll post em.

Let's hear em

#2 ·
I went to southern Illinois to hunt rabbits n squirrels. My buddy and I walked a set of tracks for about three miles.
We saw something wrapped up in a blue tarp so we went to investigate.
Bubba said, "you wanna shoot it?".
The tarp sprung to life saying NO, don't shoot!!!
There was a young man and a girl wrapped up in that tarp.
WOW! Sure glad I had no desire to shoot a tarp that day.

#5 ·
A couple of things come to mind:

About 5 years ago I was bow hunting from a tree stand. Got into the tree really early one morning before light. About 20 minutes after it was light enough to see, I see this 20-something guy and girl come walking down a game trail and stop. The guy goes one way and the girl comes right down the trail past the tree I am in. She gets about 10 yards past me, drops her pants, squats and pees. I was just about to yell Noooooooo, but held my tongue and stayed quiet. I felt like a dirty, perverted peeping Tom the rest of that day.

2 year ago while hunting sharptailed grouse in the middle of nowhere Eastern Montana, I found a little female English pointer who it appeared had attempted to jump over the top wire on a barbed wire fence and caught her collar and choked to death. Her tags had the owners name and number. I called the guy and he asked if I wouldnt mind burying her and to mail her collar to him. Kinda heart wrenching to make that call.

#8 ·
I was bow hunting one afternoon in PA when I was still in school and the woods were not far from the house. Once it got dark I got ready to climb down but I began hearing voices and people walking toward my direction. I saw a flashlight coming my way and four guys. I sat in silence until they were right under me and climbed down. I scared the hell out of them when I hit my headlamp. I saw three guys leading one guy blindfolded into the woods. I lied and said this is private property and that I could have mistook them for a deer and shot em. Try apologized but never gave me an answer as to why this guy was blindfolded. My best guess is they were in a fraternity and doing some kind strange and extremely gay initiation.

#9 ·
Cujo1 said:
Found a dead body while hogging catfish. That really sent me over the limit on the "oh ****ometer"
My buddy came across a dead guy at a publix. Turns out he was homeless and lying in the road. People continued to drive around him. Pretty upsetting that he was the person to have people stop. He said seeing him was difficult and mortifying.

#10 ·
tmclaimerFL said:
Cujo1 said:
Found a dead body while hogging catfish. That really sent me over the limit on the "oh ****ometer"
My buddy came across a dead guy at a publix. Turns out he was homeless and lying in the road. People continued to drive around him. Pretty upsetting that he was the person to have people stop. He said seeing him was difficult and mortifying.
Gets your attention.

#14 ·
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Titz and I found a dead horse while pheasant hunting out in ND about 10 years ago.
I was hunting deer from a stand about 25 years ago and I heard something coming through the woods rather loudly and a donkey came walking by. I wasn't close to any farms either, I was in river bottoms. Weird.

#15 ·
Cujo1 said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Titz and I found a dead horse while pheasant hunting out in ND about 10 years ago.
I was hunting deer from a stand about 25 years ago and I heard something coming through the woods rather loudly and a donkey came walking by. I wasn't close to any farms either, I was in river bottoms. Weird.
I had a black lab wander around my stand one time.

#16 ·
Cujo1 said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
When I was in high school I was sitting in a tree stand and had a peacock walk right up, jump on a log, and start screeching for about 20 mins. I have no idea where it came from.

#17 ·
A few years back my son was sitting in a deer stand and a housecat came walking through the woods. The cat came straight to the tree, scooted right up into my sons lap. My son grabbed the cat by all four legs and dropped it out of the stand. My son said "dad, that cat didn't even wiggle on the way to the ground! It hit like a sack of crap and didn't move!" He thought he killed it. The cat laid there until my son came down at dark and followed him all the way to the truck like he was his buddy!

#18 ·
Cujo1 said:
A few years back my son was sitting in a deer stand and a housecat came walking through the woods. The cat came straight to the tree, scooted right up into my sons lap. My son grabbed the cat by all four legs and dropped it out of the stand. My son said "dad, that cat didn't even wiggle on the way to the ground! It hit like a sack of crap and didn't move!" He thought he killed it. The cat laid there until my son came down at dark and followed him all the way to the truck like he was his buddy!
That's cause cats are evil.

#19 ·
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Cujo1 said:
That's cause cats are evil.
Truth

#20 ·
Cujo1 said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Was he wearing a white hard hat and orange safety vest....just saying

#21 ·
I found a lady that had shot herself in the head twice. I still remember her name and her whole family. Not sure if it counts because I wasn't hunting. I was working (cop). Found a few bodies in the outdoors over the last 10 years. Some gross ones with maggots etc.

#22 ·
I was pulling wagons for a old farmer couple years back. This time of year. He had a old barn back a short lane surrounded by fields, and there was a Ford Ranger parked in the lane. I called Bud and asked him if he knew, he didnt and asked if I could check the old barn. Bad idea....found a 60 some year old man that had hung himself in the barn with a doubled up extension cord. Jokes on him though. He was still alive, called 911, cut him down and was actually one of the guys treating him on the way to the hospital. Been there almost 24 hours, pissed himself, altered mental status, rough shape to say the least. Made it through fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.