Best load for jump shooting???

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Best load for jump shooting???

Postby benelliboomer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am

What would be your ideal range for jump shooting? Figure you would be shooting the birds in the @ss while they flew away?
Geese?
Mallards?
woodies?
Benelli. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.
benelliboomer
hunter

Re: Best load for jump shooting???

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:49 am

I jump shoot a stretch of river in the late season every year after everything else is frozen-up tight. Most all of these shots are close range (20-30 yards). I love 2 3/4in #4 for this application.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby benelliboomer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:I jump shoot a stretch of river in the late season every year after everything else is frozen-up tight. Most all of these shots are close range (20-30 yards). I love 2 3/4in #4 for this application.

Man! I wanna hunt where you are! All the birds by me flush from 40-50 yards... :bow:
benelliboomer
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 am

benelliboomer wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:I jump shoot a stretch of river in the late season every year after everything else is frozen-up tight. Most all of these shots are close range (20-30 yards). I love 2 3/4in #4 for this application.

Man! I wanna hunt where you are! All the birds by me flush from 40-50 yards... :bow:

The best part about this river is the bank is about 10 feet higher than the surface of the water, so when you poke your head over the edge and there are ducks, you are looking down on them. When they flush and you shoulder your gun, they are right at eye level. I almost feel bad shooting them this way because it's so easy. Notice i said ALMOST.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:08 am

If im jump shooting its by chance.... And i use whatever i have on me or in the truck!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 am

benelliboomer wrote:

Then for that I would be using 3in #2s.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby possumfoot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

only thing i ever jump shoot are snowgeese..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby benelliboomer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
benelliboomer wrote:

Then for that I would be using 3in #2s.

Yeah, I will use those for woodies. I have been using 3.5" T shot for jumping canadas. I can roll one out to almost 70 yards... :biggrin:
benelliboomer
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am

#5 turkey loads.
t_baker
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 am

1 1/4 #2 steel or 1 3/8 #4 hevi-shot for mallards/woodies.

For geese, they are usually slower to get up.. can usually run towards them when they start to get agitated and get within 30-40 yards. Either the #4 hevi-shot or 1 1/4-1 3/8 #BB.

If you are jumping both without changing shells, then probably 1 1/4 #1 or even the #2's if you can get close enough to the geese.

If you are going to try and arkansas a goose at 70 yards then you need T's or hevi-shot B's.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am

I used to waste a ton of thought trying to figure out what load...
Just put 3" #2's into the gun and start killing stuff.
Pattern your shotgun. Might help your confidence.

In case you're wondering...I am being serious.
#2 steel goes right thru a teal at close range.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am

t_baker wrote:#5 turkey loads.

or slugs
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
benelliboomer wrote:

The best part about this river is the bank is about 10 feet higher than the surface of the water, so when you poke your head over the edge and there are ducks, you are looking down on them. When they flush and you shoulder your gun, they are right at eye level. I almost feel bad shooting them this way because it's so easy. Notice i said ALMOST.

Don't let Mike down play it... he's a ninja.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Use nitro turkeys..little extra velocity to let the birds know you mean business.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Only 2 banded birds I've ever killed were jump shot.

Can't remember what kind of shells I was using though.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Riley » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Lead #8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Brandon
Lucy the poodle
Riley
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm

L&L. I can relate to your riverbank scenario. North of Rantoul, Illinois on the west side of I-57 is a borrow pit. Used to be called "Big Rock" because of the huge boulder they dug out of it. The rock was 12' tall easily. Someone finally bought that rock and hauled it away so we call it "No Rock" now.

The water level is a good 20 feet below the banks and they are steep. When the wind is howling out of the west...guess where I go look for birds? I can drive over the overpass, stop at the bridge, and scope the pond.

One day I hit gold...there were around 500 Canadians sheltering on the west side to get out of the wind.
So I walked way around and approached at a right angle. Got to bank, stood up, let the geese flap their wings once, and opened up...
After I got done shooting and started counting...uh oh.

The limit on Canadians is zero...right? :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm

T Man wrote:

Use nitro turkeys..little extra velocity to let the birds know you mean business.

With an extra full....they never saw it coming.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:51 pm

We jump shoot mallards on the way back to the house(downstream) when we don't have our limits. Always use 3.5" #2's. Just cause that's what we use for everything. They can't handle that up the arse out to about 45 yards
Jake88
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole