DIY/Homemade Cabin

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Anybody here built their own hunting cabin/camp house? We currently have a single-wide mobile home on our farm in TN but it's old, nasty and frankly, probably not particularly safe (old crappy wiring and things like that). it's just falling apart from yrs of neglect.

wouldn't mind building a small cabin, something like 1 bedroom/1 bath and maybe a small loft for a second bedroom, small kitchen. nothing fancy, just a clean place for 3-4 people to stay for a few days at a time. I've thought about even getting an old storage shed and turning it into a cabin, but you could probably build one from scratch for the same price and amount of work...

anybody built something like this? I'd love to see pics.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
User avatar
GomerPyle
hunter
 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL -- Memphis, TN


Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:34 pm

GomerPyle wrote:Anybody here built their own hunting cabin/camp house? We currently have a single-wide mobile home on our farm in TN but it's old, nasty and frankly, probably not particularly safe (old crappy wiring and things like that). it's just falling apart from yrs of neglect.

wouldn't mind building a small cabin, something like 1 bedroom/1 bath and maybe a small loft for a second bedroom, small kitchen. nothing fancy, just a clean place for 3-4 people to stay for a few days at a time. I've thought about even getting an old storage shed and turning it into a cabin, but you could probably build one from scratch for the same price and amount of work...

anybody built something like this? I'd love to see pics.


I have 2 friends that built pole barns and turned them into houses. They are very neat. You could do something similar. Check out Menard's website and look at the kits you can buy. They have all the layouts online. A pole building is relatively cheap, but the concrete will get ya.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8342
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 pm

If you live anywhere except Memphis...you could hire me to build you a cabin.
If you live in Memphis call jehler.

I kicked two Memphis cops out of the club last year so it would be best if I go around that city. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

:hi: build 4~5 so far....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Least expensive/ practical route to go is a small metal building. finish the inside and stain the floor..... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm

do you have pictures of any of them, or a build thread you can link? I'd be interested in seeing what you built (and what kind of $ investment you're talking)
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
User avatar
GomerPyle
hunter
 
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL -- Memphis, TN

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm

GomerPyle wrote:do you have pictures of any of them, or a build thread you can link? I'd be interested in seeing what you built (and what kind of $ investment you're talking)

The ones I built (or helped build) are probably not in your price range, but I found this for you...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-12x20-Cabin-on-a-Budget/
compared to a pre-built metal building....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duramax-12x20-Metal-Garage-White-/121181802554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c36ff903a

both are unfinished....metal building goes up faster IMO....and easier to disassemble if you ever have to move it....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Where's Jehler...

PAGING JOHN!!!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 pm

might look into picking up a FEMA trailer onda cheap too.....won't last like a metal building, but if the price is right you might wanna go that route. my B-I-L just bought an old 10' X 32' office trailer that is gutted for $400 bucks. Bought it off a guy. he has already run the wiring, and it comes with an A/C, toilet, and a shower uninstalled.....pretty damn good deal if you ask me, plus it is on wheel so if he gets out of the club, he can move it. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Oh- and it has a new plywood floor in it too.... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:59 pm

you still need a foundation for the metal building though....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:05 pm

one other option is to find an old 18 wheeler enclosed trailer and finish the inside of it.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58803
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 pm

I get the impression op wants affordable, mobile, and easy.

Only one thing fits that definition...a mobile home trailer. Buy another trailer.
Either that or accept expensive, permanent, and difficult. Then hire jehler, swamp or someone else like them.
I dont do Memphis. :lol3:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm

aunt betty wrote:I get the impression op wants affordable, mobile, and easy.

Only one thing fits that definition...a mobile home trailer. Buy another trailer.
Either that or accept expensive, permanent, and difficult. Then hire jehler, swamp or someone else like them.
I dont do Memphis. :lol3:


Good. Stay way away.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
User avatar
Westtennduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 13002
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Memphis, tn

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 am

You all build on slabs down there or foundations? What's the ground like? Easy to dog holes and put footings in?
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17517
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:22 am

jehler wrote:You all build on slabs down there or foundations? What's the ground like? Easy to dog holes and put footings in?


Slabs. Both honestly. Pretty easy to dig holes.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
User avatar
Westtennduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 13002
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Memphis, tn

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:27 am

Cheapest quick built camp I've witnessed going up guys dug 8 holes put posts in and set beams, two beams 24' apart and 24' long, on top they set pre made gambrel attic trusses, sheet the end walls and she roof, but of siding and shingles and bam, you got a cabin
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17517
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 am

Haw haw...this is a true story.

Down the road from the clubhouse a farmer decided he'd build a duck lodge.
Poured a slab and got the walls and roof on. Then...it rained. lol

Turned out he built on a flood plain. His house...up on a foundation with wood floors never got wet.
One day I asked what the eff happened here? The guys scurried me off quickly because I'd unknowingly poured a pound of salt into his open wound. :lol3:

Yeah...do a slab. It will be fine.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: DIY/Homemade Cabin

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 am

jehler wrote:Cheapest quick built camp I've witnessed going up guys dug 8 holes put posts in and set beams, two beams 24' apart and 24' long, on top they set pre made gambrel attic trusses, sheet the end walls and she roof, but of siding and shingles and bam, you got a cabin

Our old deer camp was like that. No bathroom, but stove and a loft. It was finished to look like an old barn. Kinda neat.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8847
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bubba06 and 25 guests