Hunting Fed Refuge this weekend

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Hunting Fed Refuge this weekend

Postby KHerbst » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Think I am screwed! Office said they were closed to hunting due to shutdown. How many thousands of acres idle as a result?
KHerbst
hunter

Re: Hunting Fed Refuge this weekend

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Hunt it and lets us all know if anyone is working after the weekend is over.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Considering the consequences as we speak!!!! This refuge is 14,000 acres.....be a shame if it is closed.
KHerbst
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:41 pm

They closed all of them in Kansas as well. Law Enforcement is still working so you make the call.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Assateague's has felt a disturbance in the force..... :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Assateague's has felt a disturbance in the force..... :lol3:

a few beers and i cannot resist adding this...

DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Ks Waterfowler theres not any NWRs in the early zone anyway, But, just for everyones benefit please read,

According to the email from Matt Hogan, Deputy Regional Director for the USFWS’s Mountain-Prairie Region, operations on the NWRs will cease under the shutdown, including hunting and fishing on these areas. The NWRs in Kansas primarily offer waterfowl hunting opportunities, and all are within the Late or Southeast Duck zones. Duck season opens Oct. 26 in the Late Zone and Nov. 2 in the Southeast Zone. Goose seasons open Oct. 26, statewide.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:29 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Ks Waterfowler theres not any NWRs in the early zone anyway, But, just for everyones benefit please read,

According to the email from Matt Hogan, Deputy Regional Director for the USFWS’s Mountain-Prairie Region, operations on the NWRs will cease under the shutdown, including hunting and fishing on these areas. The NWRs in Kansas primarily offer waterfowl hunting opportunities, and all are within the Late or Southeast Duck zones. Duck season opens Oct. 26 in the Late Zone and Nov. 2 in the Southeast Zone. Goose seasons open Oct. 26, statewide.

No here are not. However there were many resident and non resident hunters already deer hunting several of them, and turkey season opened the first as well. Some of the locals were laughing their arses off at watching the OOS folks panic.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Here to. Feds locked all the boat ramps to the Upper and Middle Kenai river. So, moral of the story is to take your bolt cutters. I seriously don't understand how the refuges and boat ramps are closed but the wanna be Fed LEOs are still getting a paycheck to ensure no one uses THEIR resources. What a crock of chit! Hunt it and post the results!
AKWoody
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 pm

So honest question from someone who manages a $20m annual budget.......what is the Govt saving when they shut down Fed Lands that are open air or walk in? Yet they allow LE to stay on the clock to enforce trespass? To me the net-net is the same as your fixed labor remains! :huh:

Feel sorry for the hotels, gas stations and other business owner who are supported in part by traffic from sportsman!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 pm

I normally would restrict my political posts to the C.I. forum, but in this case, I think I need to post this here:
http://www.oftwominds.com/blogoct13/shutdown10-13.html
Read it....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:59 am

KHerbst wrote:So honest question from someone who manages a $20m annual budget.......what is the Govt saving when they shut down Fed Lands that are open air or walk in? Yet they allow LE to stay on the clock to enforce trespass? To me the net-net is the same as your fixed labor remains! :huh:

Feel sorry for the hotels, gas stations and other business owner who are supported in part by traffic from sportsman!

KLH

Don't know, but the fixed labor isn't the same. Here the refuge has a staff of 6 people. 5 of them are on furlough currently. The way I understand it LEO is considered essential so they are required to work but not getting paid.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 am

If you use state access...
A couple states have laws in place to protect hunters from being interuppted while in the field. This includes traveling to and from a boat launch to hunt waterfowl. One state has clearly stated that they have instructed their DNR police, gw's, to prosecute any federal gw that violates this law. I would LOVE to see that.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby cyoung24 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:51 am

LEO's AREN'T getting paid but all the people on food stamps and welfare ARE getting paid. Gotta love our govt.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby Boatman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Yea if your a tax payer-Republican things are made tough, if your a free loader-Dem-lib you will get paid, that is how they get votes. We are doomed. :mad:
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 pm

People that are required to be "on the job" but aren't getting paid usually don't concern themselves withgetting the job done. Obama better be careful......... he might run into some hunters on the ponds at his favorite golf course................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

aunt betty wrote:If you use state access...
A couple states have laws in place to protect hunters from being interuppted while in the field. This includes traveling to and from a boat launch to hunt waterfowl. One state has clearly stated that they have instructed their DNR police, gw's, to prosecute any federal gw that violates this law. I would LOVE to see that.

Louisiana has the strongest hunter harassment laws on the books.... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Parts of Rend Lake are Army Corp ran. THose areas are posted closed. The Rangers are writing tickets if caught in the areas. THe Rend Lake Facebook page clearly state the access areas are closed but any ground that was open to public hunting is still open. Hunt or not? I don't have the financial resources to fight a ticket in court, nor do I want points taken against my hunting license. Clear, concise rules would be greatly appreciated from the gov. But will that happen? Ha!
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I paid to apply for blinds here on a local refuge, scored a number one pic and will be flushing it down the toilet. I have been told that the pile of charges they can throw at you can add up to a felony....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Tealer wrote:I paid to apply for blinds here on a local refuge, scored a number one pic and will be flushing it down the toilet. I have been told that the pile of charges they can throw at you can add up to a felony....

vote all incumbents out in the next congressional election.....and vote 3rd party; not rep. or dem.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:15 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Tealer wrote:I paid to apply for blinds here on a local refuge, scored a number one pic and will be flushing it down the toilet. I have been told that the pile of charges they can throw at you can add up to a felony....

vote all incumbents out in the next congressional election.....and vote 3rd party; not rep. or dem.

In my area my vote wont matter 99% lib here.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Boatman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 am

I looks to me like if the gate is open you can hunt or fish. You will only get a fine if you jump the fence or barrier.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Parts of Rend Lake are Army Corp ran. THose areas are posted closed. The Rangers are writing tickets if caught in the areas. THe Rend Lake Facebook page clearly state the access areas are closed but any ground that was open to public hunting is still open. Hunt or not? I don't have the financial resources to fight a ticket in court, nor do I want points taken against my hunting license. Clear, concise rules would be greatly appreciated from the gov. But will that happen? Ha!

Casey Forks Subimpoundment. Ask at drawing on opening day if anyone shows up.
If no state people are there for the drawing...go home.
I will be there or at Carlysle walk-ins where the gate/cable is ALWAYS locked.
You walk around it.
aunt betty

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:25 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:Parts of Rend Lake are Army Corp ran. THose areas are posted closed. The Rangers are writing tickets if caught in the areas. THe Rend Lake Facebook page clearly state the access areas are closed but any ground that was open to public hunting is still open. Hunt or not? I don't have the financial resources to fight a ticket in court, nor do I want points taken against my hunting license. Clear, concise rules would be greatly appreciated from the gov. But will that happen? Ha!

You walk around it.

That part of the lake is state run and is still huntable and should be open as usual. The rest of the lake is federal, and the water is open currently with just a couple of ramps open. So duck season really isn't an issue.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Cujo1 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

You walk around it.

That part of the lake is state run and is still huntable and should be open as usual. The rest of the lake is federal, and the water is open currently with just a couple of ramps open. So duck season really isn't an issue.

The very first time I went to CF...was drawn first. Which stake should I have taken?
I took 27 I think. Limited out despite being on the wrong side.
Lotta lotta ducks that year.
aunt betty

Next

Return to The Honey Hole