How Much is an Early Shooting Citation in Utah?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

How Much is an Early Shooting Citation in Utah?

Postby ford2002 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:09 am

Did anyone get a fine this morning for shooting early in Utah, Davis County? The bird guide was changed this year for the first time in several years and changed the wording so we thought that shooting opened at 7:00am but it was 7:30am. We also heard hundreds of shots start at 7:00am. How much is the citation or fee for attempting to take waterfowl before shooting hours? We did not "take" anything before 7:30am but got a citation for attempting. Thanks.
ford2002
Newb

Re: How Much is an Early Shooting Citation in Utah?

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 am

First post. :welcome:

Now why is your name ford2002?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 am

Leave now Poacher ! We don't put up with that crap around here :no: Oh yeah :welcome: There is no excuse for ignorance of the law :fingerpt:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:26 am

How do you get a ticket for "attempting"? You either shoot or you don't? :huh:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:32 am

Federal court sucks.
Your fine will be...
$250 plus $25 court costs/ filing

Sorry.

Forget to sign your stamp...same thing.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ford2002 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:50 am

Are you sure it is a federal citation? Or is it a state citation?
ford2002
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:05 pm

ford2002 wrote:Are you sure it is a federal citation? Or is it a state citation?

Attempting to take waterfowl prior to LST is a federal case no matter which type of gw issued a citation.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:07 pm

ford2002 wrote:Did anyone get a fine this morning for shooting early in Utah, Davis County? The bird guide was changed this year for the first time in several years and changed the wording so we thought that shooting opened at 7:00am but it was 7:30am. We also heard hundreds of shots start at 7:00am. How much is the citation or fee for attempting to take waterfowl before shooting hours? We did not "take" anything before 7:30am but got a citation for attempting. Thanks.

Read your citation carefully. Are you sure it was for shooting before LST and not for driving a Ford?
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby steve-o » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:How do you get a ticket for "attempting"? You either shoot or you don't? :huh:

attempting = he missed :lol3:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:14 pm

steve-o wrote:
Dingbatter 2 wrote:How do you get a ticket for "attempting"? You either shoot or you don't? :huh:

Attempting to take crows out of season is not a feferal violation. When you get to court...say you shot at crows.
What ducks? Didnt see any ducks...prove it!
Might save you a $100.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ford2002 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:18 pm

I was thinking it would be around $50. I guess that is not the case then. How do you know this? Is there a website with a list of violation fees?
ford2002
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:28 pm

ford2002 wrote:I was thinking it would be around $50. I guess that is not the case then. How do you know this? Is there a website with a list of violation fees?

I got a violation once. The county judge sat there scratching his head and muttered, "I dont know what to do about THIS".
I said, "nothing...it is a federal offense...see ya". :hammer:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Hawk87 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:11 pm

ford2002 wrote:Did anyone get a fine this morning for shooting early in Utah, Davis County? The bird guide was changed this year for the first time in several years and changed the wording so we thought that shooting opened at 7:00am but it was 7:30am. We also heard hundreds of shots start at 7:00am. How much is the citation or fee for attempting to take waterfowl before shooting hours? We did not "take" anything before 7:30am but got a citation for attempting. Thanks.

Good, I hope every one else that didn't bother reading the proclamation and started shooting half an hour early got one too.
Hawk87
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

aunt betty wrote:
steve-o wrote:

Attempting to take crows out of season is not a feferal violation. When you get to court...say you shot at crows.
What ducks? Didnt see any ducks...prove it!
Might save you a $100.

^^^X2

I can't believe you actually let them give you a ticket...there's no proof you were shooting at ducks.

The burden of proof is on the warden. Hate to say it, but you got suckered into that ticket.
:-)
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:46 am

Looks like they changed from a sunrise/sunset chart to a legal shooting hours chart (1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset). I could see where there might be some confusion if someone didn't look close enough at the chart, but it also appears opening day doesn't start till sunrise...... I think the confusion comes into play when they altered the chart AND added the subtracting 1/2 hr before sunrise statement. The should have done one or the other. I'd point this out and the judge may give you a break. I think if I were a warden I would have issued a warning on this one.

Option 2......... Record gunshots on your celphone..make it your ringtone........ tell judge the warden heard you getting a phonecall.......................LOL
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Looks like they changed from a sunrise/sunset chart to a legal shooting hours chart (1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset). I could see where there might be some confusion if someone didn't look close enough at the chart, but it also appears opening day doesn't start till sunrise...... I think the confusion comes into play when they altered the chart AND added the subtracting 1/2 hr before sunrise statement. The should have done one or the other. I'd point this out and the judge may give you a break. I think if I were a warden I would have issued a warning on this one.

Option 2......... Record gunshots on your celphone..make it your ringtone........ tell judge the warden heard you getting a phonecall.......................LOL

An hour before sunrise is too dark to shoot yet people did.
At some point you have to check the weather channel and see.
I find it very hard to fathom that hundreds of people could be that dumb..oh...nevermind.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Call the court house they might be able to give you an idea as to what the cost is . You can also PM Magic Mike hes from Utah in fact . They call him Magic cause he can make things disappear :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm

You're going to jail

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Shoot early opening day and that's hunting out of season! Same
As shooting late last day. That's what they charge here. Good luck. Usually write charge on ticket?
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 pm

They make you sit in front of the courthouse and read the entire regulations book out loud while wearing a dunce cap and a sign board that reads "It's not my fault. Nobody told me what to do."
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 pm

So you shot an hour before sunrise? how could you even see the birds?

If I was to make that mistake, I would have told the CO I was shooting at a coyote running by the blind.

I could't use the crow one or I'd get a fine for attempting to take a bird out of season as well.

If he only wrote you up for shooting early you already got a break, he could have written you up for attempting to take waterfowl out of season which is a heck of a lot more than $250.
BBK
hunter

Postby Shell Shocked » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 pm

The joke is not the fine.... It will be <$50. Its the court costs that hurt. They'll be in the $250 or more range.
Shell Shocked
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 am

I'm sorry you got a ticket, but there is really no excuse for not knowing the actual legal shooting time. Yes I agree that the verbiage in this years' proclamation was a bit confusing, but if you are confused, you should make a call to the DWR to clarify.

Out here in the wild, wild West, we don't take shooting before legal hours lightly. You'll probably get a fine, or community service, or flogged, or hanged -- and possibly all four.
Last edited by Locked&Loaded on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Call the court house they might be able to give you an idea as to what the cost is . You can also PM Magic Mike hes from Utah in fact . They call him Magic cause he can make things disappear :thumbsup:

Ford2002- for a nominal fee, I can make this whole matter go away. I've got the connections and the resources to make this whole mess a distant memory for you. Let me know...
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 pm

What time is LST today for my location? :grooving:

1381192281890.jpg
aunt betty
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole