What is it with the sport hunting purists?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: What is it with the sport hunting purists?

Postby Frylock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 pm

I totally get putting a self imposed set of rules on your hunting to make it more challenging but to start telling others how they should hunt is a bunch of crap! Like the man said, if it's within the law do what you please.
Frylock
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am

sprigs4days wrote:I shoot flying squirrels when they're not flying

:lol3: This struck my funny bone! :lol3:
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm

It's called evolution of a sportsman. For many, once thay master a specific method of hunting they move on to something that is more challenging. Really it's whatever turns your crank. I know that the more challenge I have put upon myself the better hunter I have become. Ever hear the saying " it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game" ? To some of us THAT is more important than filling our limits.

One example I can think of is long range shooting vs short range shooting. Some guys enjoy the challenge of shooting deer at 600-1000 yards. I'll admit that takes extrodinary shooting skills.............. but very little hunting skills.........while short range pursuit like bowhunting takes more hunting skill and average shooting skills. I tend to gravitate toward methods that require greater hunting skills.

Here are the 5 common stages of a hunter.

SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:54 pm

I think you forgot the GET OFF MY LAWN stage.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:15 pm

I hunt to have a good time, if I only hunted to limit on ducks I would have moved out of NC at 18. :smile:

If my dog breaking at the shot, or me dropping a duck or goose at 40 yards bothers you that bad then you might want to rethink why you are outdoors.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:42 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:It's called evolution of a sportsman. For many, once thay master a specific method of hunting they move on to something that is more challenging. Really it's whatever turns your crank. I know that the more challenge I have put upon myself the better hunter I have become. Ever hear the saying " it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game" ? To some of us THAT is more important than filling our limits.

One example I can think of is long range shooting vs short range shooting. Some guys enjoy the challenge of shooting deer at 600-1000 yards. I'll admit that takes extrodinary shooting skills.............. but very little hunting skills.........while short range pursuit like bowhunting takes more hunting skill and average shooting skills. I tend to gravitate toward methods that require greater hunting skills.

SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

Its easy to forget the reason your out there, just today it bummed TS out of me that i didnt get a goose, ( would've been my first, and trust me there were plenty to shoot at ) But i told myself, they get to live another day, so do I, I got to go, and ill get one next season. It pays not to look at hunting as a numbers game.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:It's called evolution of a sportsman. For many, once thay master a specific method of hunting they move on to something that is more challenging. Really it's whatever turns your crank. I know that the more challenge I have put upon myself the better hunter I have become. Ever hear the saying " it's not whether you win or lose it's how you play the game" ? To some of us THAT is more important than filling our limits.

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

I see someone read their hunter safety book.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm

sport hunters are different from hunters. i like to hunt, but want meat. i dont want all greenheads. i want dead birds. period.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 pm

ohioboy wrote:sport hunters are different from hunters. i like to hunt, but want meat. i dont want all greenheads. i want dead birds. period.

^^^^^this^^^^^
And I do know how this may sound, but, being in Louisiana-a state that consistently kills more ducks that the central and atlantic flyways combined and #1 in total ducks killed- I expect to kill limits. Don't always pull it off, but more times than not we do....

I LOVE eating wild ducks! :yes: SO MANY RECIPES!!!!!! :drool:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 am

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

This is probably one of the most intelligent, thought out posts I've ever seen on this site.
Don't let that statement go to your head. :beer:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Papachessie wrote:

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

This is probably one of the most intelligent, thought out posts I've ever seen on this site.

He copied and pasted that from the fugue.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Papachessie wrote:

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

I wouldn't give him too much credit. Those aren't his ideas, he just failed to credit Dr Bob Norton who wrote the book he took that all out of.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:47 pm

tough crowd.

i would say most posters are in the "limiting out stage."
ohioboy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:07 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:
SPORTSMAN STAGE

This last one for me is a howler. It's BS. Friends and family? What are those? A few extended family hunt. But they don 't share my ethnicity so we have little contact. Friends? I started hunting when I was 31. Everyone my age already had had their hunting partners for 20-30 years. I will not invite myself to a hunt - any more than I would invite myself to a party. I will doubtless be hunting by myself till I'm in the ole boxeroo. Family & friends?

Role models? I teach; I am a "role model" already. Magazines are for summer Sundays. I'd rather hunt than read about it, anyway. When I cannot I'd better be ready for that boxeroo.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

ohioboy wrote:sport hunters are different from hunters. i like to hunt, but want meat. i dont want all greenheads. i want dead birds. period.

this X2

i love the getting out in nature part of it as well, but im out there trying to put meat in the freezer.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:49 pm

They are correct....don't give me credit..........

I first read this after I had already hopped over the first 3 stages in my first 5 years of hunting.........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Frylock wrote:I totally get putting a self imposed set of rules on your hunting to make it more challenging but to start telling others how they should hunt is a bunch of crap! Like the man said, if it's within the law do what you please.

X2
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:04 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:They are correct....don't give me credit..........

I first read this after I had already hopped over the first 3 stages in my first 5 years of hunting.........

I added "if these are your words" in my original post and deleted it. Guess I should've left it. :wink:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Underradar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 pm

I am in the "He ought to be in jail" stage.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
assateague wrote:
gatorsnagger wrote:Only shoot ducks that are trying to land on the end of your barrel, only shoot whitetail with minimum 18" inside spreads, never shoot elk ranged farther than 150 yards, never hunt upland birds with anything other than a double barrel, your dog must be under control 100% of the time, bring 10 shells with you waterfowl hunting, bring 3 shells with you big game hunting.

Am I the only one who sees how insane this gets? Whatever happened to putting a little meat on the table while having a good time?

As a fellow curmudgeon- AMEN!

:lol3:
Assa is a curmudgeon with every topic.

He's a........................................

....wait for it....

BadAssa! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Not cool :fingerpt:
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Underradar wrote:I am in the "He ought to be in jail" stage.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm in the Mental Hospital Stage. :banana: :banana: :banana:

WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Yea I hate when somebody looks down at you because you wounded a deer and didn't find it. Then when they do it they blame it on equipment failure...
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:30 am

Botiz630 wrote:I think you forgot the GET OFF MY LAWN stage.

For some, this is the only stage.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby toolmaker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:12 am

but we are talking about hunting here!!!!!!!!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole