Byers Farm Migration

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 am

jaysweet3 wrote:This thread needs to be a sticky. If there are too many at the top of the page, just bump off the central flyway rambler to make room.

You hunt the same general area as I. Did you guys get any young drakes that weren't colored up yet?
Stupid people can cause problems, but it usually takes brilliant people to create a real catastrophe. Thomas Sowell
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:This thread needs to be a sticky. If there are too many at the top of the page, just bump off the central flyway rambler to make room.

You hunt the same general area as I. Did you guys get any young drakes that weren't colored up yet?

I hunt way further down the line in IL, but FWIW, I shot an eclipsed mallard drake two days ago. First one in a long while.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

WTN10 wrote:

I laughed.

I'm freaking hilarious.

Spinner, we never really got the mallards through this year. The few that we did shoot were all colored up.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:01 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.

that is weird.. we have killed somewhere in the area of 80 mallards, and only 3 have been eclipse.. we are killing lots of gaddys and we do normally kill them when it gets COLD, but we are not killing the normal % of mallards.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 pm

ByersFarm wrote:One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards.

My blind's first split fell 70 mallards short of either of the past two first splits. Not a good thing for a little pothole off the usual bigger water little duck flight lanes.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:16 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.

I'll take that as more confirmation of a late hatch and a late migration...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

My big question is we had a warm snap and aren't froze for a day or two, is it worth taking a vacation day? :huh: As jay said, we never really saw mallards like we should have this year. I think our local birds got a very early hatch. I know the ones on the pond across from my house were colored well before the season. However, I think the northern birds must have got a late start like you suggest and then just skipped right on by. They did a survey in my area two days ago. Not good. I had planned to hunt tomorrow, but I've almost talked my self out of taking a vacation day and pulling my boat and duck decoys out of storage for one day of hunting.
Stupid people can cause problems, but it usually takes brilliant people to create a real catastrophe. Thomas Sowell
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:40 pm

D Comeaux
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:47 pm

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Yeah, they are slow to update. It should update in a day or so. If you open the tab at the bottom you'll see the observer site locations. I guess it takes a while to compile the info and get it uploaded.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/waterfowl/surveys/Documents/NE02Dec2013.pdf
Two days ago. 525 mallards, 20 goldeneye, and 20 bufflehead in Will County where I hunt :sad:

Although that is not necessarily bad numbers :sad: :sad:

It's just a question of using 1 vacation day and all the work to set up for 1 day of hunting. It's hard to convince my self, but it's my last chance for the year probably.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:02 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/waterfowl/surveys/Documents/NE02Dec2013.pdf
Two days ago. 525 mallards, 20 goldeneye, and 20 bufflehead in Will County where I hunt :sad:

Although that is not necessarily bad numbers :sad: :sad:

It's just a question of using 1 vacation day and all the work to set up for 1 day of hunting. It's hard to convince my self, but it's my last chance for the year probably.

GO!!! Post pictures of the aftermath.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Can't kill em if you aint out there.
Uneasyjmitchell wrote:Is Erie salt water?

Indawoods wrote:
leaving me slack jawed and stupified. mangy feline deathkitty stole my bird.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Can't kill em if you aint out there.

Agreed, but I can't take a vacation day twice. That's a valuable commodity.

We got a lot of goose hunting left. Save my vacation for that or a last chance duck hunt because we are froze out again by Saturday :huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm going to call around a bit this evening and see if anybody else is going and that will probably determine what I do.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

We got a lot of goose hunting left. Save my vacation for that or a last chance duck hunt because we are froze out again by Saturday :huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm going to call around a bit this evening and see if anybody else is going and that will probably determine what I do.

Yeah i get the vacation thing. can you take a 1/2 day

Indawoods wrote:
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

Wouldn't one go hand in hand with the other?

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

Go out and do your own scouting.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
Moderator in Training

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Or start a thread asking
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 pm

MarkM wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Or start a thread asking

Where you will be mocked relentlessly until you quit duck hunting. :sarcmark:

how much for your stuff

Indawoods wrote:
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards.

My blind's first split fell 70 mallards short of either of the past two first splits. Not a good thing for a little pothole off the usual bigger water little duck flight lanes.

It's possible that we are holding some of the early mallards. Mallards that we usually see in October, and then move on. At least your statement seems to back up that idea. We go into the teal pretty good last Saturday with a 6 man limit in under an hour. We returned to that hole Sunday to kill mostly mallards and a couple of teal on our way to 6 more. One oddity was the complete lack of spoonbills last weekend.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:08 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

It's possible that we are holding some of the early mallards. Mallards that we usually see in October, and then move on. At least your statement seems to back up that idea. We go into the teal pretty good last Saturday with a 6 man limit in under an hour. We returned to that hole Sunday to kill mostly mallards and a couple of teal on our way to 6 more. One oddity was the complete lack of spoonbills last weekend.[/quote]

i think we had em.. well, one day.. killed 23 of em friday

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm

I figured Cannon wiped them out.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Wouldn't one go hand in hand with the other?

noted, yes it would....

when I heard that gadwalls were still without flight feathers in NoDak 3rd week of October, that kinda told the tail of what to expect. I Hope these arctic blasts stack the birds up for our second split opener though...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Get the green » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:07 am

We saw and killed a few eclipses over the opening weekend as well. Some groups were almost all brown, almost hard to pick out the green. Very strange I have never witnessed that..
Get the green
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole