Byers Farm Migration

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
teddysberna wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
CrazyDrake wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:[quote="possumfoot"]my guess would be a combo of shoot birds (probably making up the fewest dead birds), age, a weak strain of cholera, other diseases.. old birds die quick from cholera, it becomes a problem when infected birds live and continue to contaminate the area.. we usually have a cholera die off here once or twice a season..

I was wondering about this lately...

I was reading about releasing waterfowl and the concerns FWS has about it. Disease is the largest concern they have, and the overwhelming consensus is that disease is of highest concern because of the tendency for there to be large quantities of birds in limited space.

So, my question for them would have been, if that is the case why do large waterfowl operations (like WMAs, Hunt Clubs, etc...)not have this same issue?

Now after reading your post, my question for you, Byers, et' al (including the government WMAs and such) would be, do the befits provided to the waterfowl by your farms out way the risk of wide spread disease outbreak?

The only thing that can be done to stop them from grouping together in large flocks is to kill them all. They will group up whenever, and wherever they want. If I ran off the 400k+ that we have today, they would move on down the line and land somewhere else. Snow geese are a real concern, and more should be done to reduce their population.

I can be done, but they have set the rules in place to make it 'sporting'. they need to remove all the regs. that pertain to snows and the population would drop dramatically. Guns alone won't do it IMO....

I agree. I'd love to throw some hand grenades out in the middle of a big group! Maybe a land mine or two.

The problem is with the collateral damage to other species like specks and ducks mixed in with the snows using stuff like that. a line of 100 people armed with .22's from a ways away will be way more effective. far enough away so the shot does not spook them off the ground, yet close enough for the shots to be accurate. you could decimate a flock on the ground.

Remote controlled air planes.

Heard a story from my buddy who hunts Arky every year that this scenario happened and some guys shot the schit out of them until they got busted... That would be a ton of fun while it lasted though...

They made the wife mad. Evidently geese were falling into the house and knocking wedding pictures off the wall. From what I here it flat worked.[/quote]

I heard windows and such were busted.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:30 pm

The geese you find dead in the fields, of course, you know they mate for life. The dead ones died of broken hearts, their mates shot or taken by eagles.

That's why, if two fly in, I only shoot one of them.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 am

Indaswamp wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: for realz?!?! If so -DAMN that is funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were sitting in lawn chairs and breaking windows out the trucks parked around the house. The airplane worked. It would do what we all want to do to snows.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 am

ByersFarm wrote:
Indaswamp wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: for realz?!?! If so -DAMN that is funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were sitting in lawn chairs and breaking windows out the trucks parked around the house. The airplane worked. It would do what we all want to do to snows.

How much were they selling ammo for a box?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:49 am

It's been an odd year so far. The young birds continue to surprise. I remember rarely killing an eclipsed mallard before this season. Possibly only once. This year we are killing a very high percentage of them.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:01 am

ByersFarm wrote:It's been an odd year so far. The young birds continue to surprise. I remember rarely killing an eclipsed mallard before this season. Possibly only once. This year we are killing a very high percentage of them.

That's weird because we usually kill a few and I didn't see a one. All were beautifully colored drakes. Although we didn't kill many at all compared to normal, so that could have more to do with it.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:34 am

This thread needs to be a sticky. If there are too many at the top of the page, just bump off the central flyway rambler to make room.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am

jaysweet3 wrote:This thread needs to be a sticky. If there are too many at the top of the page, just bump off the central flyway rambler to make room.

I laughed.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 am

jaysweet3 wrote:This thread needs to be a sticky. If there are too many at the top of the page, just bump off the central flyway rambler to make room.

You hunt the same general area as I. Did you guys get any young drakes that weren't colored up yet?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 am

SpinnerMan wrote:

You hunt the same general area as I. Did you guys get any young drakes that weren't colored up yet?

I hunt way further down the line in IL, but FWIW, I shot an eclipsed mallard drake two days ago. First one in a long while.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

WTN10 wrote:

I laughed.

I'm freaking hilarious.

Spinner, we never really got the mallards through this year. The few that we did shoot were all colored up.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:01 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.

that is weird.. we have killed somewhere in the area of 80 mallards, and only 3 have been eclipse.. we are killing lots of gaddys and we do normally kill them when it gets COLD, but we are not killing the normal % of mallards.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 pm

ByersFarm wrote:One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards.

My blind's first split fell 70 mallards short of either of the past two first splits. Not a good thing for a little pothole off the usual bigger water little duck flight lanes.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:16 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Over 20% of ours have been brown. Which is a staggering number since we haven't shot one since my childhood. One of the conflicting things that we are seeing is the high number of mallards. Usually we see teal first, then mallards.

I'll take that as more confirmation of a late hatch and a late migration...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

My big question is we had a warm snap and aren't froze for a day or two, is it worth taking a vacation day? :huh: As jay said, we never really saw mallards like we should have this year. I think our local birds got a very early hatch. I know the ones on the pond across from my house were colored well before the season. However, I think the northern birds must have got a late start like you suggest and then just skipped right on by. They did a survey in my area two days ago. Not good. I had planned to hunt tomorrow, but I've almost talked my self out of taking a vacation day and pulling my boat and duck decoys out of storage for one day of hunting.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:40 pm

D Comeaux
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:47 pm

WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Yeah, they are slow to update. It should update in a day or so. If you open the tab at the bottom you'll see the observer site locations. I guess it takes a while to compile the info and get it uploaded.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/waterfowl/surveys/Documents/NE02Dec2013.pdf
Two days ago. 525 mallards, 20 goldeneye, and 20 bufflehead in Will County where I hunt :sad:

Although that is not necessarily bad numbers :sad: :sad:

It's just a question of using 1 vacation day and all the work to set up for 1 day of hunting. It's hard to convince my self, but it's my last chance for the year probably.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:02 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/waterfowl/surveys/Documents/NE02Dec2013.pdf
Two days ago. 525 mallards, 20 goldeneye, and 20 bufflehead in Will County where I hunt :sad:

Although that is not necessarily bad numbers :sad: :sad:

It's just a question of using 1 vacation day and all the work to set up for 1 day of hunting. It's hard to convince my self, but it's my last chance for the year probably.

GO!!! Post pictures of the aftermath.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Can't kill em if you aint out there.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Can't kill em if you aint out there.

Agreed, but I can't take a vacation day twice. That's a valuable commodity.

We got a lot of goose hunting left. Save my vacation for that or a last chance duck hunt because we are froze out again by Saturday :huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm going to call around a bit this evening and see if anybody else is going and that will probably determine what I do.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Can't kill em if you aint out there.

Agreed, but I can't take a vacation day twice. That's a valuable commodity.

We got a lot of goose hunting left. Save my vacation for that or a last chance duck hunt because we are froze out again by Saturday :huh: :huh: :huh:

I'm going to call around a bit this evening and see if anybody else is going and that will probably determine what I do.

Yeah i get the vacation thing. can you take a 1/2 day
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

Wouldn't one go hand in hand with the other?

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole