Byers Farm Migration

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby grizz18 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:16 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
grizz18 wrote:Glad to hear about the good news for Eb.

I'm in the market for a dog now..getting all sorts of excited to finally get one.

I'm planning on breeding Eb and Tessa in the next month. Let me know if you'd want one.


PM sent.
Image
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 12753
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC


Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 am

Bump. Anything going on Cason? Any ducks still there
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11431
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Bill Parks » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:22 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Bump. Anything going on Cason? Any ducks still there

I'm curious also. Management after season ?
Bill Parks
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 am

We saw a good number of ducks Wednesday and Thursday. Mostly mallards and pintail. There are few hanging around today trying to ride it out. We still have everything flooded and won't start out drawdown for another week or so. The two fields we will drain first are going to be planted early in order to flood as early as possible next fall. The management plan for each year finishes with the start of next years plan. Some fields will remain flooded until mid April. We do our best to ensure that birds have a better chance at returning to their nesting ground as fat and healthy as possible.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 am

Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8048
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Bill Parks » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you, Bryers.
Read all 50 pages a few days ago. Enjoyed most.
Thank's again, for trying to keep those birds as fat and healthy as possible.

Bill
Bill Parks
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:53 pm

ByersFarm wrote:We saw a good number of ducks Wednesday and Thursday. Mostly mallards and pintail. There are few hanging around today trying to ride it out. We still have everything flooded and won't start out drawdown for another week or so. The two fields we will drain first are going to be planted early in order to flood as early as possible next fall. The management plan for each year finishes with the start of next years plan. Some fields will remain flooded until mid April. We do our best to ensure that birds have a better chance at returning to their nesting ground as fat and healthy as possible.

:thumbsup: those waters ought to be teaming with inveterate life as they warm up. Waterfowl-especially hens returning to lay eggs-need that protein source after the long winter. :thumbsup: Always interested in how you run things at the farm. Kudos for the thread followups. :beer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

So interesting. They stop on the way down during season. Now that's it's done and they're relatively safe, they switch it up.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8048
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I feel like a lot of people who see the majority of their ducks in late season aren't seeing what they call new ducks. They're seeing the return of ducks who have been south. It's just a theory of mine, with no scientific data to back it up.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:42 pm

You probably see as much duck behavior on your farm as a regional biologist does.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8048
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:38 am

ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby beretta24 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 am

jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)

And straight north of ya, all but parts of our rivers have 24"+ of ice. They are stacked in places though.
uploadfromtaptalk1391955179485.jpg
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 pm

jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)


They will reverse direction when they encounter a front, and this process takes weeks. Just the same as we all know spring is around the corner, so do the birds. They've got heading north on their mind.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:34 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)


They will reverse direction when they encounter a front, and this process takes weeks. Just the same as we all know spring is around the corner, so do the birds. They've got heading north on their mind.

You're talkin way over my head brotha, I was just wanting to fit in and talk some southern
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm

jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)


They will reverse direction when they encounter a front, and this process takes weeks. Just the same as we all know spring is around the corner, so do the birds. They've got heading north on their mind.

You're talkin way over my head brotha, I was just wanting to fit in and talk some southern


You can't hang
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
User avatar
Westtennduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 11893
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Memphis, tn

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 pm

jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)


They will reverse direction when they encounter a front, and this process takes weeks. Just the same as we all know spring is around the corner, so do the birds. They've got heading north on their mind.

You're talkin way over my head brotha, I was just wanting to fit in and talk some southern

After rail e ing ducks and whipping shitties I don't know if you'll be allowed back down here.

No kidding. Kyle was talking with our plumber last week and he asked Kyle if he had been whipping shitties.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)


They will reverse direction when they encounter a front, and this process takes weeks. Just the same as we all know spring is around the corner, so do the birds. They've got heading north on their mind.

You're talkin way over my head brotha, I was just wanting to fit in and talk some southern

After rail e ing ducks and whipping shitties I don't know if you'll be allowed back down here.

No kidding. Kyle was talking with our plumber last week and he asked Kyle if he had been whipping shitties.

Whipping crappy's is not something you forget lol
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:58 pm

beretta24 wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)

And straight north of ya, all but parts of our rivers have 24"+ of ice. They are stacked in places though.
uploadfromtaptalk1391955179485.jpg

Tundra swans? any mutes?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby beretta24 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)

And straight north of ya, all but parts of our rivers have 24"+ of ice. They are stacked in places though.
uploadfromtaptalk1391955179485.jpg

Tundra swans? any mutes?

Actually those are all Trumpeters with a few Canada geese and mallards mixed in. It's kind of an anomaly, but some lady started feeding them in the winter years ago and now there's a couple thousand that show up. Deafening.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:36 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
jehler wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Do you get big concentrations of geese on the way back north?

It's very rare in our flooded fields. The return migration started weeks ago. When they head back north they tend to use a different corridor in the flyway. We will get them in dry fields, but few and far between in our flooded fields.

If'n any a dem birds that started north weeks ago are headin to Michigan, they'all r a fixin ta be surprised ;)

And straight north of ya, all but parts of our rivers have 24"+ of ice. They are stacked in places though.
uploadfromtaptalk1391955179485.jpg

Tundra swans? any mutes?

Actually those are all Trumpeters with a few Canada geese and mallards mixed in. It's kind of an anomaly, but some lady started feeding them in the winter years ago and now there's a couple thousand that show up. Deafening.

interesting....sounds like the speckelbellies at Cason's.... :sarcmark: :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 am

It's interesting that you mention the lady and the swans. My grandfather had 40 acres high fenced at his house. He started out raising and feeding canada geese there. Over time the specks came in droves. He would feed 1,000-2,000lbs of grain a day, and it was the norm to see 40 acres of specks in there. His house was about 12 miles from our farm, and the authorities never considered it baiting as long as he didn't hunt there. However, after several years his neighbors began to hunt alongside the fence. Eventually the game wardens forced them to back away from the fence some, so the geese learned to stop flying in low. All backstory aside, it's interesting how much impact an individual can have. The swans support my theory of imprinting.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12272
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 am

ByersFarm wrote: The swans support my theory of imprinting.

Yes Sir. They've documented imprinting with people/owners etc. No reason it can't be done with food/locations.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5323
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Luladucks1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:35 pm

We got a group of sand hill cranes that will be found within 50 yards of the same spot every sing year! Crazy!
User avatar
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby t_baker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 pm

My grandpa has had a hen mallard show up at his pond every spring for 6 or 7 years now. Lays her eggs, sits on them, drake swims around the pond, eggs hatch, they all leave. She walks them over the hill and onto the old rail road bed. About 5 hours later they show up a couple miles down the road at my uncles pond. Usually one or 2 are missing. They stay there until they can fly and they all take off. Grandpa has never had ducks on his pond until this hen showed up. He is big into photography and has never missed them leaving in all the years they have been there.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 6945
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ByersFarm, flightstopper, Mr.Pymatuning, possumfoot and 26 guests