Byers Farm Migration

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:11 am

All of these stories are pleasing to here. I had a client this year ask me if I thought birds remembered a place from one season to the next. I told him "absolutely."
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR


Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Any updates Cason?
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11618
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby bighop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:20 pm

They said it happens on their way home when we were there Saturday night, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to drive through a state where the bar ditches are full of fully plumed mallards for a guy that never sees mallards?
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby quacknstack6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

bighop wrote:They said it happens on their way home when we were there Saturday night, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to drive through a state where the bar ditches are full of fully plumed mallards for a guy that never sees mallards?

Bout as aggravating as getting a raptor stuck chasing cripples?
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 5962
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby bighop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:04 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
bighop wrote:They said it happens on their way home when we were there Saturday night, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to drive through a state where the bar ditches are full of fully plumed mallards for a guy that never sees mallards?

Bout as aggravating as getting a raptor stuck chasing cripples?

Much worse. Getting trucks stuck is nothing new....
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 6414
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:41 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Any updates Cason?

Not a lot to report. Ducks and geese are trickling back north. At least they are in between these dammed winter storms. Teal are starting to show up, which means to me that our spring birds are almost here.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Byers,
When do you "normally" see you last migrating birds for the year. I know this varies from year to year, but an estimate. Haven't seen much here lately except a few divers.
swampboy91
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm

swampboy91 wrote:Byers,
When do you "normally" see you last migrating birds for the year. I know this varies from year to year, but an estimate. Haven't seen much here lately except a few divers.

The only months out of the year that we don't have migrating ducks are June and July.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby swampboy91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 pm

That's awesome! You are definitely on the "X".
swampboy91
hunter
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:54 am

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 am

ByersFarm wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Any updates Cason?

Not a lot to report. Ducks and geese are trickling back north. At least they are in between these dammed winter storms. Teal are starting to show up, which means to me that our spring birds are almost here.


We've got paired up mallards and the geese returned. They were sitting under an oak tree eating acorns last night.
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11618
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby t_baker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Geese are back at my place. Heard them for 3 nights in a row.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7115
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 pm

I saw numerous groups of ducks today. Quite possibly the single biggest flocks of pintail I've ever seen.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:40 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I saw numerous groups of ducks today. Quite possibly the single biggest flocks of pintail I've ever seen.

really? Now I'm curious as to an estimate since I know you see big wads of birds....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56174
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

BWT are now showing up in force.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:56 pm

ByersFarm wrote:BWT are now showing up in force.


Can you club one and send it to me?
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7115
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:35 pm

t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:BWT are now showing up in force.


Can you club one and send it to me?

They certainly are pretty this time of year.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:41 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
t_baker wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:BWT are now showing up in force.


Can you club one and send it to me?

They certainly are pretty this time of year.

Yes they are.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7115
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 am

How long before you start drawing down water to get ready to plant?
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11618
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:How long before you start drawing down water to get ready to plant?

We have already drained all of our fields that will be rice. We actually planted some rice yesterday. We started to drain most of our fields that will be soybeans. There is one left that we will hold water on for about two more weeks. No one around us has water or has had water for over a month.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 am

ByersFarm wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:How long before you start drawing down water to get ready to plant?

We have already drained all of our fields that will be rice. We actually planted some rice yesterday. We started to drain most of our fields that will be soybeans. There is one left that we will hold water on for about two more weeks. No one around us has water or has had water for over a month.


Do you plant any corn or just rice and soybeans?
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11618
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:How long before you start drawing down water to get ready to plant?

We have already drained all of our fields that will be rice. We actually planted some rice yesterday. We started to drain most of our fields that will be soybeans. There is one left that we will hold water on for about two more weeks. No one around us has water or has had water for over a month.


Do you plant any corn or just rice and soybeans?

We do plant corn, but we are staying away from it this year.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:How long before you start drawing down water to get ready to plant?

We have already drained all of our fields that will be rice. We actually planted some rice yesterday. We started to drain most of our fields that will be soybeans. There is one left that we will hold water on for about two more weeks. No one around us has water or has had water for over a month.


Do you plant any corn or just rice and soybeans?

We do plant corn, but we are staying away from it this year.

:thumbsup:
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 11618
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:02 am

Cason, are you still holding water and if so what's hanging around? I know you'd have BW. Did the Specks head north?
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Cason, are you still holding water and if so what's hanging around? I know you'd have BW. Did the Specks head north?
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:51 am

I'm sorry that I missed your first post. We have one field that is still flooded. 127 acres. There are still a bunch of bwt and spoonbill hanging around. Around 100 snows are still here along with 20 or so specks. ImageImage
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12374
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests