Lost Ducks

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Lost Ducks

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:35 am

Made a nice shot on a crossing teal this weekend and dropped it dead, right into the decoys. Wind was gusting to about 20 mph or so and it started to cruise with the wind so I lifted my motor as quick as I could to get out there. I drove to where I last saw it and it was just gone. There were some clumps of wild rice, nothing too thick and a lot of lily pads. I must have looked for 45 minutes to no avail. It was like the duck just sunk or something. I know how the grass swallows still swimming ducks but a stone cold dead duck should have been very easy to find.

What the hell happened? This is the first time in 10 years of duck hunting I was that perplexed at a lost duck.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Re: Lost Ducks

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 am

It wasn't dead and dove on you.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:37 am

Ghost duck it was never really there. :sarcmark:

It dove on you buddy
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:45 am

I have had geese hit the ground and not move a muscle for 2-3 minutes then get up and start running. I suspect maybe they get the wind knocked out of them when they hit the water/ground then take off when they recover......
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby glrizzz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am

Literally saw a crippled Mallard I shot holding onto a reed under the water. They naturally are buoyant so have to grab a reed to stay under water. My Lab saw/smelled it & grabbed it under about a foot of clear water. Mystery solved...............
glrizzz
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 am

I also lost a teal a couple days ago that dove and drowned. All that was left was a few feathers on the water and a confused/pissed off dog.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 am

saw a ''dead'' retrieved mallard wake up and fly off right from behind the sitting hunter ,''What the heck?'' He shot it again
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 am

Last yr I dropped a double, 1st was feet up in the deke's, 2nd was trying to swim away. I was standing over the titz up duck while swatting the crip, reached down to grab it and the sumbitch up and fly's off. Had my O/U and only dropped one shell for the crip. :mad:
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 am

Bella lost a stone dead mallard last weekend. I hammered the duck at 30 yards. Feathers flew everywhere. That duck crumpled and hit the water, then skipped twice and never moved a muscle.

After Bella retrieved a second duck I shot from the group, the first duck popped it's head up and saw Bella coming for it. That duck led her a merry chase around the pond, then managed to get enough lift to fly away. I think the impact of the shot in a tight pattern sometimes knocks them out, hitting the water does it at times as well. I would have sworn that duck had a broken neck the way it crumpled when I shot it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am

It was the drugs, man.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Had a similar thing happen about 15 yrs. ago, we dropped a Teal, it hit the water like a ton of stone @ low tide, and dropping maybe 4-6" of water, it never came back to the surface, I got the boat out, rowed to where it hit the water, NO sign of it, my Dad & buddy were in the blind watching where the bird hit, I am scanning the bottom looking for the body in the mud, nothing. 15' of mud flat to the shore line, so it did not go to shore. If it swam under water we would have seen something! Never found that bird. :sad:

My theory is we knocked it out and when it hit the water it regained unconscious and made a tunnel out. That is my story, and I am going to stick to it damn it! :thumbsup:
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. " Red Green.

I tried it, it, it did not work!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby McManusClan5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:37 pm

On a field goose hunt in OH 4 or 5 years back we had some birds work just so into the spread. Each of us picked a goose (different geese, thankfully) and dropped them. One folded completely and fell limp with a huge thud about 20' in front of us. Dog brought it in as the last retreive - didn't move the whole time.

We took them, gave a quick wring to the neck (none of them had any life in them, I swear), tucked the heads down into a wing and put them around the coffin blinds (3 in front/between, one in back). Well, about 2 hours later we are done and packing up. The one behind us (and only a few feet behind us)? GONE

Four guys and a dog tromping around a chisel plowed cornfield (not out there) and a couple grass lines (nope) for an escaped goose. Never found a trace of it. Never heard a thing as it made it's escape. Must've been one bionic effin' ninja goose.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby bighop » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Buddy and I were standing on a little cane island in the bay one morning and dropped a couple snows from a big flock that came over low enough to be in range. Went out and picked it up and snapped it's neck and threw it in the pile. 45 minutes later another group of snows flies over honking and that damn zombie goose jumps up and takes off running and flapping across the top of the water with it's head hanging down next to his breast with a broken neck. No idea how that goose was alive.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Return to The Honey Hole