Duck Dynasty

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Duck Dynasty

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:21 am

Junior it sounds like you're just sticking your nose into everyone else's business.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 am

Botiz630 wrote:Junior it sounds like you're just sticking your nose into everyone else's business.

I am starting to see that maybe I am the problem? :huh:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:This is the problem. You don't just go over and try to help these kinds of folks, that are breaking multiple laws. You have no idea how they're gonna react when you intervene. Best to let the GW "help" them.

Not to say they are all the same, but I've attempted to lend a hand and it's blown up in my face. A guy was wearing orange, shooting at swan, thinking he was shooting at geese, and shooting lead as I noticed the low brass empties. I talked to him about how the law is that you need to draw for a swan tag. He told me to get back to school and learn the difference between geese and swan and that he had never heard of steel shot.

I also invited some kids to hunt with us after they had sneaked up on my decoys thinking they were ducks. They told me to let them do their thing and to mind my own. When we left on our boat, I asked what kind of ducks they had shot. "Black ducks." I said they were actually coots and he said "There he goes again! Mr. Game warden!"

I also invited a group to hunt with us that decided to set up right next to us. I explained that we may be a little too close for shooting. I left agreeing to be fair and pass up the ones closer to them. The rest of the day was filled with skybusting over top of me as well as peppering my decoys. We pcked up and left.

As some poor regular guy in the marsh, I'm "a step down" from all of the new hunters that know better.

Oh, we take new hunters/DHC members/etc out all the time, since the boat is plenty big enough and we have the setup to do it, as long as we determine that they're safe to hunt with.
My point was not all of them are "helpable"...in fact a lot of them aren't. But there's also a lot that actually abide by the law and act normal. 50/50. :tongue:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 am

Must be one damned inspirational show to convince someone to spend $6000 on gear to get their foot in the door, wake up at 3:30-5:00 a.m. every weekend for two months, frostbite their extremities and go home with 3 ducks a season.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

BurnettGunner wrote:Must be one damned inspirational show to convince someone to spend $6000 on gear to get their foot in the door, wake up at 3:30-5:00 a.m. every weekend for two months, frostbite their extremities and go home with 3 ducks a season.

There's people around here that'll buy brand new duck boats, way more than $6000, and do exactly what you just said. You might see them stick it out for one season, group of 3+ of them scratching down 2-3 birds with hail mary shots every hunt. Then the next season you'll see different boats, new antics...and the cycle continues.
But usually the boat hunting is manageable, it's the walk in areas that are unbearable.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
KaceyDucks wrote:If you are scared to compete with other hunters then just stay in bed. It is part of the game my friend.

Not sure exactly what the OP's "situation" is like....but when the other "hunters" are setting up 50yds downwind, skybusting, breaking multiple laws and acting like morons in general, that's not what I would call competition. At least normal competition. I will go out on a limb and assume this is the kind of stuff he's referring to.
I don't mind competition myself, but at least set up a reasonable distance away from me and act like an adult.

someone set up on me too close one time.. #2 hevi-shot goose made them decide to move..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm

McManusClan5 wrote:
Willie wrote:
McManusClan5 wrote:Hmmmm... I was just saying it was a surprise to me to not see them hunting when I came across it. Not a complaint, just surprised me is all.

I get from the subsequent posts that it's not really even intended as a hunting show. Just didn't know that (so, I guess I'm ignorant instead of a complainer - not the first... or last... time I'll be that!).

As for caring enough to post, I hope that's not the bar or there will be a lot less activity here! :wink:

Activity? You have 17 posts in a little over 3 years...and four of them are on this thread alone. I'd say your activity, or lack thereof, may or may not be missed. It's 50/50 really.

It's even worse than that - I was on the board for a few years prior under a different name (Atlanticjunkie - changed with a changed email and a couple moves) and didn't post a lot then, either. I wasn't trying to say that **I** would be missed - was kind of a joke, yeh?

Anyway, I've lurked for a long time and decided to hop in - not expecting anyone to cheer for me (or care if I go back to lurking - although it seems I'm pushing at least a couple of people to actually cheer if I do go back!). :eek: Prolly more like 99.99/00.01 :lol3:

And I will hereby refrain from any comments on DD until I've watched more of them!

You should watch more...if nothing else, the wives are fairly attractive.
Willie
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Hunting is a dying sport. DD has done more for duck hunting and hopefully for it's future than DU has done in the last decade. We need to be recruiting new hunters and getting them excited about it. We need to be teaching the youngsters and new guys how to hunt and do it right with good ethics and support for the ducks. Whining about new hunters and hearing them when they are not cutting you out of your spot is quite frankly selfish and destructive to the sport.

I take a lot of new folks out hunting and fishing on a regular basis. It leads to solid friendships, better hunters and fishermen, who know the ettiquette and how to behave around other hunters and fishermen.

I always here that this is a dying sport. But ever since I was a kid, there have been new lines of decoys, guns, ammunition, calls, dvd's, camo, and boats. You name it! I have yet to see a way the sport is dying. Unless I am missing something. To me, I think the most destructive thing to the sport are the brand new ignorant hunters. Leaving trash, skybusting with lead shot, no lisences while hunting, and so on. It was a complete circus opening morning this year.

This just proves that duck hunters are as stupid as fishermen. they will buy anything that looks good!

I love the new guys who come in and hop out of the sport. They spend a ton of cash, then end up dumping all their gear cheap after failing to kill ducks their first season.

Hunting is a dying sport. Look at the number of licenses versus past years. Then look at the population boom in the US as a comparison. Everyone here who thinks they can just love it along will be slowly eaten by the Anti's as their numbers grow and ours continue to shrink.

I am one of the guys who will educate by game warden when it is necessary. I usually try to make a difference and help the hunters understand what needs to be done. If they are azz hats, then a phone call and a visit by Green Jeans usually takes care of the problem.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:24 pm

3 things are responsible for influx of new duck hunters. Not all DD fault.

DD has definitely spurred interest in duck hunting.

The interest causes questions to be asked about duck hunting. Who are the questions asked too? People that already duck hunt. "Oh yeah duck hunting is awesome" " Hell yeah I love duck hunting". Therefore they now decided to try it.

Invention of battery operated accessories. Mojos, wake maker, mallard machines,etc. now hunting is easier(don't care what you think) than it use to be. A few decoys couple mojos mallard machine and yes on some days ANYONE can have a good day. Didn't always be that way.

Whatever. Whole dang generation that has never killed a duck without a battery.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote: A guy was wearing orange, shooting at swan, thinking he was shooting at geese, and shooting lead as I noticed the low brass empties. I talked to him about how the law is that you need to draw for a swan tag. He told me to get back to school and learn the difference between geese and swan and that he had never heard of steel shot.

I've been thinking about this guy all day. Cracks my chit up.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Underradar » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Of course, its DU's fault. They promote and glorify duck hunting, all to our detriment.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Then look at the population boom in the US as a comparison.

The population growth of the United States is actually declining. At least the legal population. Not sure how big of an influence the illegals have overall, but the baby boomer generation (our largest) is aging and starting to die off.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote: A guy was wearing orange, shooting at swan, thinking he was shooting at geese, and shooting lead as I noticed the low brass empties. I talked to him about how the law is that you need to draw for a swan tag. He told me to get back to school and learn the difference between geese and swan and that he had never heard of steel shot.

I have multiple stories about orange-clad individuals duck hunting.
Probably the most notable was when someone brought a tent-style turkey blind onto the dike, set the tent right in the middle of the path, threw out a few decoys, opened the windows, and just sat in the tent wearing an orange vest and hat.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

I have multiple stories about orange-clad individuals duck hunting.
Probably the most notable was when someone brought a tent-style turkey blind onto the dike, set the tent right in the middle of the path, threw out a few decoys, opened the windows, and just sat in the tent wearing an orange vest and hat.

I bet he got 10 limits doing that too
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Duckbam » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 am

La. Hunter wrote:I'm just waiting until all these Duck Dynasty fanboys realize hunting isn't easy and find them another fad, so I can buy their boats and guns for pennies on the dollar.

Yesterday morning I picked up 3 dozen mallard deek's (like new and rigged), 6 new in the box pin's and a mojo that he said never worked from the day he bought it from Bass Pro. Put another battery in it and it works fine. Decoy's are Flambeau but I picked it all up for $125 off of CRAIGLIST. I asked him why he was selling and he said a buddy and him tried it last year and he didn't think they were good at it. I'm Happy, Happy, Happy. :thumbsup:
Duckbam
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:01 am

What's Duck Dynasty?
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:25 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Then look at the population boom in the US as a comparison.

The population growth of the United States is actually declining. At least the legal population. Not sure how big of an influence the illegals have overall, but the baby boomer generation (our largest) is aging and starting to die off.

Good riddance.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Underradar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 am

The failure of the Baby Boomers was their raising of a bunch of whiney illiterate narcissistic children. I blame the moms, who are mostly idiots raising idiots.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 am

possumfoot wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
KaceyDucks wrote:If you are scared to compete with other hunters then just stay in bed. It is part of the game my friend.

Not sure exactly what the OP's "situation" is like....but when the other "hunters" are setting up 50yds downwind, skybusting, breaking multiple laws and acting like morons in general, that's not what I would call competition. At least normal competition. I will go out on a limb and assume this is the kind of stuff he's referring to.
I don't mind competition myself, but at least set up a reasonable distance away from me and act like an adult.

someone set up on me too close one time.. #2 hevi-shot goose made them decide to move..

THAT WAS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! you had realistic looking decoys you were hidden really well. I didn't know you were there. I was picking 2's out of my azz for 3 days
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

The bottom line is that many of the new hunters have no mentors to introduce them to the sport. I had my grandfathers to give me some guidance but even that was limited. Most I had to learn by trial and error and I made my share of mistakes. But throw together 6 or 7 high school or college buddies who have never waterfowl hunted and "learned" from watching TV and DVDs and it's a whole different breed. These guys will often spare no expense (even though they can't afford it) on the latest and greatest equipment. But they are fickle and have short attention spans. A couple bad/ tough years and most sell out and move on to the next hobby.

I personally think new hunters should be required to hunt with a single shot for 2 years.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:The bottom line is that many of the new hunters have no mentors to introduce them to the sport. I had my grandfathers to give me some guidance but even that was limited. Most I had to learn by trial and error and I made my share of mistakes. But throw together 6 or 7 high school or college buddies who have never waterfowl hunted and "learned" from watching TV and DVDs and it's a whole different breed. These guys will often spare no expense (even though they can't afford it) on the latest and greatest equipment. But they are fickle and have short attention spans. A couple bad/ tough years and most sell out and move on to the next hobby.

I personally think new hunters should be required to hunt with a single shot for 2 years.

My kids have to. And no guarantee even then - they have to show they can handle moving up (this will be the first full year for my 13 year old, with the idea he gets a couple seasons being semi-independent before he can go out on his own at 15, if he shows he can handle it).

I'm in NO way the most experienced hunter and am still learning a ton year after year, but my kids have someone to help them and show them what I know, at least. It's gotta be tough starting as an "adult" from zero and getting up to speed. REALLY tough in an "anti" state like Mass... Tough just to find other hunters (OP notwithstanding), let alone mentors.

That said, it doesn't in any way forgive some of the dooshbaggery you see out there (but it isn't only new folks that can be d-bags).

Matt

ETA: I see this all the time fishing, too. A bunch of googans who get a new boat that BARELY gets them out to the tuna grounds or who just bought a million dollar battle wagon but can't handle it who then troll through people's spreads/sets. Even more common when people first get bitten by the fly fishing bug and motor right into the middle of a school of strippers! AAARRRGGHH. Faching maddening. And I only partially blame Wicked Tuna for it. :wink: Much less common to see an experienced boat make a d-bag move, but it sure as hell happens... Not much to do about but to pull along side and offer some "words of advice."
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 am

McManusClan5 wrote:right into the middle of a school of strippers!

I would get in the middle of a school of strippers any day of the week.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 am

MarkM wrote:

Paging Dr. Frued!

Guess I was reading the "free pass" thread too long. :eek:
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:02 am

I bought a lucky duck shaker butt decoy and that thing is worrrrttthhhlleesssss
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 am

MarkM wrote:

Been there, done that. It is all it is cracked up to be!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole