Which one?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Which one?

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:39 am

I thought I had my gun purchase narrowed down to the Springfield XD 40 cal...but when I went to look this week I looked at the comparable Glock and then the step up Beretta 92FS....

I really liked them all....The XD was simple and clean and nice in the hand...the Glock looked a little simpler (not necessarily a compliment) but was lighter...the Beretta was a mean looking gun that is well proven...BUT...a lot heavier, all metal, over $100 more and a longer barrel (but with great safety features and reputation)

I'd like to hear from guys who have any of these guns...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Which one?

Postby Greenheadindy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46 am

I have a glock and love it. Straight forward guns that shoot great. Don't forget about sigs, those would be my second choice.
I'm shomer shabbos.
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am

Can't offer a comparison but I loved my xd9
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby KaceyDucks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I thought I had my gun purchase narrowed down to the Springfield XD 40 cal...but when I went to look this week I looked at the comparable Glock and then the step up Beretta 92FS....

I really liked them all....The XD was simple and clean and nice in the hand...the Glock looked a little simpler (not necessarily a compliment) but was lighter...the Beretta was a mean looking gun that is well proven...BUT...a lot heavier, all metal, over $100 more and a longer barrel (but with great safety features and reputation)

I'd like to hear from guys who have any of these guns...

Glocks are a lot safer than any double action pistol. Beretta pistols have plenty of problems. If you are going to have one pistol, go with a glock. It will last forever and is damn near unstoppable.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm

I've put a lot of rounds down range with a 92. I don't own one but that's what the issued us in the Coast Guard. I liked it. Pretty reliable easy to disassemble to clean. If it ever does fail to fire you can use it as a club :hammer:
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:23 pm

The day I bought my 9mm, the shop had 6 to choose from, out of the 6 only one, when I dropped into firing position the sights were where they needed to be, I bought it, S&W9VE, the down side is the trigger pull, it is heavy. I can hit what I am shooting at, happy, happy, happy, the same can not be said about the Colt Woodsman Match Target that I inherited from my Dad, I can not hit the broad side of the barn with it, & that is standing of the said barn.
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I've got an XDM in 40 cal. And that is my go to carry gun. I have the compact model but in my hands it still feels like a full sized pistol. I have no complaints about it. I chose it over a little cheaper XD because the styling of the XDM separated it a little further from the glocks.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

I like the XD's
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

For godsake Slack, just hurry up and buy one before the state changes their mind and makes you apply again
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm

XD 40.

By the way. I won a Beretta Nano and picked it up today. Timed my transaction
..9 minutes 20 seconds from the time I set my stop watch on my phone, walked in the store, called it in, and stopped it as i opened my truck.
t_baker
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

You need to hold them all and get a good feel for how you like their feel and weight distribution in the hand. Take the time to close your eyes, then raise the pistol to a high angle hold aimed at the wall. Open your eyes to see how the weapon indexes for you. A lot of people buy guns that don't index properly and sell them shortly after. Mainly because they cannot hit crap with them. The key is to have the sights fully aligned when you open your eyes while holding the gun in a firing grip. No adjustments to grip should be needed.

I carry high capacity 1911-A1's in place of single stack models for indexing reasons. The single stack pistols index with the front sight angled to the left. The double stack 1911 index perfectly every time. I pull the weapon, point it, and hit what I am looking at. No sights needed out to 20 yards. With sights I can hit accurately on a man sized target out to 50 yards easily.

I would make sure to check which of the firearms has replaceable rear grip pieces. Then try each one with the different grip adjusters. Many pistols have different options that can change the pistol from a nightmarish dud, to the perfect pistol for your needs. Weapon fit is far more important than most people realize.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I can't speak for the XD, but I do own multiple Glocks and a Beretta 96. The Glocks are very dependable and require less maintenance. I've chased people through some of the nastiest environments around here with the Glock in my hand or holster and don't have to worry about cleaning them immediately. When the Beretta was my primary gun, I couldn't get back to the station quick enough to clean it. It may have been more of a mental thing though, because the gun is still in pristine condition for about a 15 year old gun. I usually shoot perfect or near perfect scores with these guns, but the Beretta is more accurate to me than the Glocks. I used to keep up with my scores from qualifications and I think my average was 119.75/120 with the Beretta and 119.25/120 with the Glock. About 10 years ago I decided to see how I could shoot from the 100 yard line with the Beretta resting on a bench. I put 7 out of 10 in the center mass section of the man sized target with cheap remanufactured ammo. We watched the other 3 rounds hit the ground at about the 50 yard line because the powder was inconsistent in these rounds.

For the record, the Glock I carry on the street is the tactical model 35. It does appear lighter than the Beretta and carries 3 more rounds in the mag. 15 vs 12. There may have been 15 round mags available for the Beretta, but I'm pretty certain mine are only 12 rounds.

My advice to you is to buy which ever one feels more natural to you. The Beretta feels better to me, but through training I've learned to make the Glock point where I want it to every time. I may be mistaken, but I think that when I first went to the Glock, I had a tendency to be pointed a little lower than I wanted to be when I drew the gun and came up on target. Now it's second nature for me to draw the gun and be on target when I am getting ready to shoot. Either of these are fine guns though.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby teddysberna » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Love my XD .40 sub compact... Glocks are very nice too though, just not as handsome as my Xd
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Kimber... nuff said..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:50 pm

possumfoot wrote:Kimber... nuff said..

You buy.....I'll fly....
Jees..what do they cost?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 pm

With all the crap you just went through to be able to buy one does price really matter?

1911-A1. Reaping souls since 1911. 45 caliber holes make invisible souls.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby River Hill » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:13 pm

XD all the way
River Hill
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Another XD fan. If you are gonna get one though, but an XDM.

I forgot, is this a carry gun - or are you trying to do an all around gun since it's such a PITA to get one. If you plan on carrying at all, I'd only suggest polymer pistols. Everything else is too heavy to be lugging around, especially when you factor in a mag or 2
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:38 pm

OmegaRed wrote:Another XD fan. If you are gonna get one though, but an XDM.

I forgot, is this a carry gun - or are you trying to do an all around gun since it's such a PITA to get one. If you plan on carrying at all, I'd only suggest polymer pistols. Everything else is too heavy to be lugging around, especially when you factor in a mag or 2

Home/Range only......(NY :no: )
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 pm

I owned a gun shop for 8 years until I sold it this past spring. I have shot all of them. The flock and xd are toss ups. I prefer the flock because I shot it better and it feels better to me...but when it comes down to accuracy the Beretta out shoots them both. You will like the metal frame...it helps stop some recoil and allows for faster double taps. For home-D I would choose Beretta. Concealed carry I go with glock.
erp10
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm

erp10 wrote:I owned a gun shop for 8 years until I sold it this past spring. I have shot all of them. The flock and xd are toss ups. I prefer the flock because I shot it better and it feels better to me...but when it comes down to accuracy the Beretta out shoots them both. You will like the metal frame...it helps stop some recoil and allows for faster double taps. For home-D I would choose Beretta. Concealed carry I go with glock.

Was "Flock" a typo? .....I think for my usage (no CC) I might go for the cheaper XD or GLk
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
erp10 wrote:I owned a gun shop for 8 years until I sold it this past spring. I have shot all of them. The flock and xd are toss ups. I prefer the flock because I shot it better and it feels better to me...but when it comes down to accuracy the Beretta out shoots them both. You will like the metal frame...it helps stop some recoil and allows for faster double taps. For home-D I would choose Beretta. Concealed carry I go with glock.

Was "Flock" a typo? .....I think for my usage (no CC) I might go for the cheaper XD or GLk

In that case, performance is the same. Like he said, handle them and see which one feels better in your hand. They have 2 different grip angles. Some people like one, some the other.
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 pm

I like my glock, easy to get parts etc. Although when things got nutty this past year the xd mags and accessories were easier to come by.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby TidalVA » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Non-military, non-LEO...shot everything the range had before buying my first glock this summer. I like it because it is accurate, simple to operate and feels balanced and light. It is easy to learn to use. I have confidence in myself with it my hand. I don't think you will be disappointed if you decide to purchase a glock.
TidalVA
hunter

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:53 am

For me it's the 92, out of the one's you've listed. Fit's me well and I shoot it well. I'm alot more accurate with it than my S&W .45. Now if I can only talk my FIL outta his 1911 with comp trigger, that thing is a beauty.
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole