Which one?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Which one?

Postby erp10 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 am

Slack Tide wrote:
erp10 wrote:I owned a gun shop for 8 years until I sold it this past spring. I have shot all of them. The flock and xd are toss ups. I prefer the flock because I shot it better and it feels better to me...but when it comes down to accuracy the Beretta out shoots them both. You will like the metal frame...it helps stop some recoil and allows for faster double taps. For home-D I would choose Beretta. Concealed carry I go with glock.

Was "Flock" a typo? .....I think for my usage (no CC) I might go for the cheaper XD or GLk

Yeah flock was glock...I didn't realize auto correct changed it.
erp10
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I had an XD 40 and now own a Glock. While they were close for me, the trigger on the Glock is about a million times better than the XD.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:27 pm

assateague wrote:I had an XD 40 and now own a Glock. While they were close for me, the trigger on the Glock is about a million times better than the XD.

How so?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Seemed to me like there was either a longer trigger pull or just a little heavier trigger pull on the XD. Not a huge deal at all, and I liked them both, but the Glock just seems very much easier to shoot accurately. Takedown was pretty closer to the same on both as well, and very easy. If you never shoot a Glock, I doubt you'll ever think twice about the XD. But I did, after I had the XD, and just wasn't that happy with it afterwards.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Drivetacks » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 am

I was sold on the xdm40 but My girlfriends cousin (who is a sherif) kept telling me to look into the m&p. Had a chance to handle both at a local gun show and there was no comparison for "in the hand comfort". Bought the m&p the next day. The fact that it hasn't been at least brought up in this conversation is mind boggling!
Drivetacks
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 am

Glock 23..................

/thread
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 am

They are all nice firearms. High quality, popular and top of the line.

Here's my take for what it's worth.

Glock: The ugliest of the 3 choices. However I love Glocks, and of the three choices, would be mine. Lowest bore axis of the 3 = less muzzle flip = less "felt" recoil and should be quicker on target. Also has a very short trigger reset.
Polygonal rifling: "A number of advantages are claimed by the supporters of polygonal rifling.
These include: Not compromising the barrel's thickness in the area of each groove as with traditional rifling. Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet, slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy.
Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet when traveling through the barrel which helps to increase muzzle velocity. Less sensitive to stress concentration induced barrel failure. Prolonged barrel life."

The down side of Poly rifling is they may, or may not, build up with lead (depending on who you are talking to).
This is fact though. Glock does not recommend shooting lead through their Poly rifling. Also the chamber is unsupported, so shooting reloads is also frowned upon. (It may be possible to split brass that is weaker, as it has already expanded and thinned from being shot at least once already.)
There is a reason Glocks sell as well as they do. They are reliable, accurate and practically indestructible.

Springfield XD. Another great pistol. Similar to the Glock in its build. Different ergonomics. Squeeze safety. Traditional rifling. I have nothing bad to say about a gun that has become as popular as it has. Feels good in the hands and shoots well.

Beretta 92. The best looking of the 3 choices. Feels great in the hand, and shoots good. Traditional rifling. They had major issues with the locking blocks for many years, to the point Beretta recommended the barrel be inspected, if not replaced, around 7,000 rounds. They have made improvements, and unless you are pumping hundreds of rounds through her weekly, you should have no problems.

At the end of the day, you should get what you like and are comfortable with. Some shooters MUST have an external safety. Some are fine with internal safeties. Some need a visible hammer. Some are fine with strikers.

If you have a range that offers rentals, I would take them up on trying the 3 out, by sending lead (or plated lead) down range. You will easily find out what you like, or dislike by spending a little time, and a little dime on the research.

Good luck on your purchase.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:23 pm

GomerPyle wrote:Glock 23..................

/thread
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Like this one?

Glock 23.jpg

:thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole