Capt. Sullenberger

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Capt. Sullenberger

Postby Underradar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:23 am

Incompetent fool or inattentive goofy lovable grandpa?

This is the guy who flew his plane into a flock of Canada geese and crashed it into the Hudson River. I can see a flock of geese 3 miles out, with my old bloodshot eyes. Why didn't he?
Sullenberger was hailed as a hero, but I say he should have seen and avoided the geese. He must have been reading a comic book or something to have not seen those geese and flew that jet right into the flock. Bang! Ding! Ow! He was criminally negligent, in my informed and highly regarded opinion.

I am serious when I say we should send him to prison. It will send a message to those pilots who are too lazy to look out the window.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Re: Capt. Sullenberger

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 am

Of all random post. This one made me chuckle the most.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:34 am

The geese worked for the Taliban.

Did anyone check the dead geese for bands ?
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:35 am

This is how it's done Betty.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Capt. Sullenberger

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 am

I think he was a glory hound who clipped a goose and saw an opportunity for fame. I believe that the plane was fine after the strike and he purposely ditched it in the Hudson because he knew it would land him a fat book deal if he could pull it off.

Jokes on him though, because he failed to anticipate that all this attention would result in him being tagged with the nickname "Captain Sully" which sounds like the worst superhero of all time.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 am

Sounds like UR is getting a little nervous about his upcoming flight to Byers . Seeing all those pictures of birds and the thought of how many more are going to be showing up has got him scared. Look at the bright side UR there is at least some dry land so its 50/50 that you wont crash in water.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am

I heard that someone hired a flock of geese to plant spiders on his plane in while in flight. If a goose gets sucked into the engine he had better hope Capt. Sully is piloting his plane
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Sounds like UR is getting a little nervous about his upcoming flight to Byers . Seeing all those pictures of birds and the thought of how many more are going to be showing up has got him scared. Look at the bright side UR there is at least some dry land so its 50/50 that you wont crash in water.

:lol3:
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby rank duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am

Ok, I'll play.

I'm going to guess at a climb out speed of around 250 knots which would be 287 mph. According to higher mathematics that any mo-ron can do, that would mean even if he spotted geese at 3 miles, he would have covered the distance in about 37 seconds. Maybe not a lot of time for evasive maneuvers in a commercial CRJ. (?) I don't know. Also, I imagine it's a little harder to spot geese from the cockpit of a jet climbing at 250 knots while going through checklists and other things necessary to fly the plane.

However, since we all know he was probably sexting naughty pics to the flight attendants, I say throw his arse in jail.
'Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.'
rank duck
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:31 am

Somebody's looking for a class action.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Underradar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am

Not to mention that HH should be outraged at Sully, the POACHER. Taking geese with an illegal weapon, the jet, out of season, in the city, no license, no duck stamp, and over the limit. HH, when will we stop coddling poachers? Who speaks for the dead geese? Are we going to let Sully get away with killing OUR geese? That we, the public, own?

I say we take the cost of the murdered geese and the plane out of his retirement check.

Underradar
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 am

rank duck wrote:Ok, I'll play.

I'm going to guess at a climb out speed of around 250 knots which would be 287 mph. According to higher mathematics that any mo-ron can do, that would mean even if he spotted geese at 3 miles, he would have covered the distance in about 37 seconds. Maybe not a lot of time for evasive maneuvers in a commercial CRJ. (?) I don't know. Also, I imagine it's a little harder to spot geese from the cockpit of a jet climbing at 250 knots while going through checklists and other things necessary to fly the plane.

However, since we all know he was probably sexting naughty pics to the flight attendants, I say throw his arse in jail.

I can do a lot of jet maneuvering in 37 seconds. It is an eternity.

Underradar
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Sounds like UR is getting a little nervous about his upcoming flight to Byers . Seeing all those pictures of birds and the thought of how many more are going to be showing up has got him scared. Look at the bright side UR there is at least some dry land so its 50/50 that you wont crash in water.

I was thinking of making a low altitude high speed pass over Byers, but no.

Underradar
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 am

Underradar wrote:

I was thinking of making a low altitude high speed pass over Byers, but no.

Wouldn't be the first time they woke up to the sound of plane engines.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:52 am

Underradar wrote:Not to mention that HH should be outraged at Sully, the POACHER. Taking geese with an illegal weapon, the jet, out of season, in the city, no license, no duck stamp, and over the limit. HH, when will we stop coddling poachers? Who speaks for the dead geese? Are we going to let Sully get away with killing OUR geese? That we, the public, own?

I say we take the cost of the murdered geese and the plane out of his retirement check.

Don't forget to charge him with wanton waste, I doubt he ate those geese.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am

"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:19 am

Real talk UR. What kind of plane do you own? I am truly curious, and know nothing about planes.
t_baker
hunter

Postby rank duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:29 am

I know that's a photo of a 747 .. which Sully was not flying.
'Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.'
rank duck
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 am

Underradar wrote:Not to mention that HH should be outraged at Sully, the POACHER. Taking geese with an illegal weapon, the jet, out of season, in the city, no license, no duck stamp, and over the limit. HH, when will we stop coddling poachers? Who speaks for the dead geese? Are we going to let Sully get away with killing OUR geese? That we, the public, own?

how can you be ticketed for taking over the limit, when you are caught poaching out of season??? is there a separate limit while poaching out of season??

this is NYC there are dozen of planes all around...he has a small window to fly through, its his JOB to stay in that window!! I hunt just outside of the city limits all January, and the planes taking off from LaGuardia in a northerly direction go right overhead..and they literally are 20 seconds behind each other. you can see a string of them numbering up to 7 or 8 at one time on the same flight path one behind the other.....maybe where you live the kids all rush out to see airplanes....not in NYC!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 am

Greenheadindy wrote:

Don't forget to charge him with wanton waste, I doubt he ate those geese.

cant the fed legally charge everyone in his party??? like the whole plane load? that would be a haul $ for sure. then they could leave poor souls like Foils alone!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 am

WTN10 wrote:This is how it's done Betty.

If I posted the op...It would be Batman all over again.
Calling a national hero a dufus is UR's job. No more random silly threads but will make up one...if you pm me and help. :grooving:
:sarcmark:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby gock5 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am

aunt betty wrote:

Calling a national hero a dufus is UR's job. No more random silly threads but will make up one...if you pm me and help. :grooving:

Welcome back to DHC, Betty????? where have you been?
gock5
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:05 am

gock5 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Welcome back to DHC, Betty????? where have you been?
Cant say. Had to turn my gps on the phone off.
If I say where I am at ... airboats, huge barges with two engines, longtails, surface drives, and every sort of watercraft you can imagine shows up and ruins it for the good guys.
Right now, I am here. :grooving: :sarcmark:
Attachments
1382544449772.jpg
Last edited by aunt betty on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby rank duck » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 am

No disrespect intended, but I don't get calling him a hero. He was doing his job, and he did it well. Pilots train extensively for emergencies. He executed his duties seemingly perfectly and managed a safe emergency landing in which every soul survived. Kudos to Cpt. Sully for not panicking and for doing his job.

Seems like the title of hero gets applied pretty loosely these days. It dilutes the significance of the word.
rank duck
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 am

I was thinking about buying a ticket on that flight.....include me in your lawsuit UR. The daily mental anguish is just too much to bear!!
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Next

Return to The Honey Hole