Duck Hunting Forum banner

What's been passed down to YOU?

3K views 57 replies 37 participants last post by  Slack Tide 
#1 ·
A couple posts in another thread got me thinking (I know, rare event) about what I've been lucky enough to have passed down to me. These are some of the best stories and parts of hunting and fishing, to me. What's been passed down to you through the years that really stands out, and what did it mean to you?

I have my grandfather-in-law's 870 that he left to me, along with his fly vest from forever ago, when he passed a few years ago at a very young '97. He was an inspirational kinda guy, and I'm honored to have these to remember him by.

Matt

#14 ·
The love for fishing was passed down from my dad. I am much more passionate about it than he is but he made sure my addiction was fed. Offshore fishing is not cheap and I don't know how to pay him back for the time and money he put in for me while growing up. I also have a Winchester model 88 made in 1958 in .308 handed down from my grandfather on my step-dads side. He killed countless deer with it. I have yet to get a deer but I also have not put a huge effort into deer hunting. We have some land we will be prepping for next season so we shall see.

I have an older Wingmaster that is my back up gun that was once my dads. He only used it a few times so it is mint. That will be handed down to my son when he can handle it. No one other than my grandfather was a hunter and he died before I got into waterfowl so I'm making up tradition as I go along to pass to my children.

#17 ·
ctdeathfrombelow said:
Indaswamp said:
Oh- I was given a 14' X 12" X 1" cypress board by my dad's cousin for making a pirouge. That board came from the old plantation house. :thumbsup:
I would rather inherit the "help" from the plantation, than some old piece of wood....
what exactly are you trying to say here?

#18 ·
Many gifts have I been given. My grandfather taught me the value of hard work and how to fix and repair things.
My father kind of was forced into taking me hunting but I sure am glad he did. My teachers in school all the way thru college all gave me a small part of themselves. The authors of all the books I have read as well.
There are even some DHC members who would rather not be named that have given me enormous gifts of places to stay, knowledge, and friendship.

But seriously lets drink some beers and quit yackin.

Swamp, start cookin.
Troutman, could you get a fire going while I scrounge some more firewood.
There's ducks out there to kill and they wont be just waitin'.
Party!
Howwwwwllllllll.
We need more beer!

#19 ·
Fetal alcohol syndrome and a nicotine habit that wont go away. Thanks for asking.

Also my grandpa's 16 ga remington sportsman 48 that looks like it was drug behind a truck down a gravel road but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Shouted from the bottom of a well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.