What's been passed down to YOU?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: What's been passed down to YOU?

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 am

Mini decoys ! Put a flock in your pocket :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 am

My dad died when I was 2, so unfortunately I don't remember him. He was the only person that seriously hunted in my immediate family.

Luckily, in high school I got hooked up with a group of kids, and the one's dad was a local vet. Very into hunting, very into hunting groups and doing things the right way. Being ethical, promoting good hunting behaviors as a way to sustain the sport. I still remember the times in junior high hunting rabbits with a group of guys and those rabbit dogs. We became like family, and seems like we spent more time over there than we did at home. Sleeping over there for nights on end, getting wild game cooked for us. Looking back now, I realize how big of a deal it was. It truly changed my life. Killed my first turkey, deer, upland birds etc. with that group of guys. After college, jobs and what not, we are starting to be around the same area more and able to hunt together a lot more. Dang does it feel good! And we still tell the old stories, and they never seem to get old.

When I graduated college and my grandma passed, and the will information was being discussed, I was informed that my uncle had some of my dad's old guns. When my dad died, my mom sold him the guns to be taken care of. After quite a bit of pressure, I was finally able to purchase them all back. 870 wingmaster, Dan Wesson revolver, few .22's and a flintlock. I also got a large chunk of black walnut that he was starting to make a stock with. I plan on finishing that stock on a side by side that my father in law gave me this year. After those guns were bought back, my mom also found an old bin of a bunch of my Dad's hunting related items. The stuff in this box trumps all of the guns combined. Patches from archery shoots, old nostalgia archery equipment and the best of all, a hunting log. He kept detailed accounts of his archery hunts, and it makes me feel like I'm hunting alongside him. He inspired me to do the same, and when cleaning out the basement last night, I read some of my old journals as well from 2003.

Nice reading all your stories.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 am

I unfortunately just inherited all of my fathers belongings last season. He passed from a short but intense round of fisticuffs with cancer. Being the oldest child, and the only one on this side of the country, all his stuff became mine. There was a lot of things that I didn't know what to do with, stuff I felt like I had to hold on to. But as time has progressed I realized I didn't need to keep it all. I've got what was most important in my head and heart. No items were terribly noteworthy, except for one item. It's a piece of history. My great grandpa brought home a German luftwaffa dress sword from WW2. He passed it down to my dad and I now have it through him. That same grandpa gave me a recurve bow that he bought from herters, waaaay back in the day. Still have the original box. Here soon I'm going to hang it on the wall for display.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 am

Backhair
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:59 am

All I could see on the forum main was "Whats been passed..."

I was going to say a blowgun dart that accidentally went the wrong way during a fit of laughter. Then I realized it was a different topic completely.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 am

BurnettGunner wrote:All I could see on the forum main was "Whats been passed..."

I was going to say a blowgun dart that accidentally went the wrong way during a fit of laughter. Then I realized it was a different topic completely.

We would all have called you a liar anyways
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 am

BurnettGunner wrote:All I could see on the forum main was "Whats been passed..."

My friends son pooped out a penny that he ate....
It was wicked shiny...like new...they framed it with his baby picture
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:40 am

That is a very cool story Omega....made me think....

Here's one:
All my childhood I salivated over two duck boats that were in the crazy neighbors yard. A one man and a two man "Seaford Skiff" very much like a Barnegat....so freakin' cool for a kid to look at.
They belonged to an older man named (get this) "Duckie" and his son adored him. He restored the boats to better than new condition when I was in my 20's. (more saliva)....
Duckie died and the son started to get too crazy with money from the will etc (coke and booze)
He decided to sell the house and knocked on my door one day to tell me that he (and evidently his father) wanted me to have the boats...for free
I just could not believe it..
I took them both and still have one of them, the one man.
The son got married and had 2 kids, sold the house and moved to Idaho...
Before he left he asked me to restore a bolt action .410 for him that was in horrible condition. I got it looking and working great as a thank you and going away gift.
He left.
A month or so later I got the call that he got all coked up, killed his wife, took out the 3 year old when she came down the stairs...
reloaded and sat down on the couch to do the one year old and then himself....
With the .410
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole