Decoy Layout - How do you decoy?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Decoy Layout - How do you decoy?

Postby DucknGooseSlayer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 am

Id love everyones opinion on this. In a corn/winter wheat field, how far apart do you place your decoys? I normal take 1 step and place another - I hunt with about 2 dozen full bodies, 2 dozen sup mags, 1 dozen shells. I typcially make an arrow head/V type formation with the opening in the wind. I try to keep the furthest decoy about 30 yards in front of me and about 10 yrds behind me (the tip of the V or arrowhead).

Thougths? How do you layout your decoys?
DucknGooseSlayer
hunter

Re: Decoy Layout - How do you decoy?

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Geese need about 5' separation. Ducks ~3' so you are doing it right.
You can go further but keeping em tight means ducks wont land IN the decoys.
The idea is to leave a hole and force/guide them to where you want to shoot at them.

I used to make a "fence" out of decoys with a gate leading into a hollowed out center in efforts to make em land in front.
Its a good setup. I called it "open arms".

After I hunted with pros...my setup was too intimidating and has flaws.
Its still a starting point.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby T Man » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Depends on the time of year. Early season I try and space them out in large clusters, but the later it gets and the colder it gets we usually tighten them up in to smaller family groups, but put more space in between groups.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 am

The old adage is they should be able to spread their wings without hitting another bird. I seem to have more success with more space than less..............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am

I was told by a lifelong duck hunter that you put decoys where you dont want ducks to land. Make a hole or a wall in front of you.

T Man wrote:Depends on the time of year. Early season I try and space them out in large clusters, but the later it gets and the colder it gets we usually tighten them up in to smaller family groups, but put more space in between groups.

^^ This is solid advice
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am

While large flocks may seek a hole or edge often small flocks of 10 or less seem to dump in wherever they feel like regardless of where the "HOLE" is or how one sets up.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole