Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happen?!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happen?!

Postby DucknGooseSlayer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:14 pm

We have all been there before, you have birds coming in, landing gear set, coasting in, there about 10 seconds from going down and then BOOM a rookie mistake is made, the birds are gone without a shot fired. Are you kidding me?!?!?!?.

List your top rookie mistakes you have seen over the years.
DucknGooseSlayer
hunter

Re: Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happ

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:19 pm

:huh: :huh: Ok what was the mistake?
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:29 pm

DucknGooseSlayer wrote: about 10 seconds from going down
This is bs.
A duck can fly a long way in ten secs. 3 or 2 Secs out is when they flare cuz op was pie facing.
Be still bubba.
:biggrin:

I used to call way too much. Calling hard as they are committing is something Ive done before pros showed me.
Timing on the calls is everything.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 pm

i had a boy get too antsy when we were hunting timber.. birds were down in the trees flying down a logging rd when for some reason he decided to start shooting with them about 100 yards away.. we still give him hell about that..
Last edited by possumfoot on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:06 pm

possumfoot wrote:i a boy get too antsy when we were hunting timber.. birds were down in the trees flying down a logging rd when for some reason he decided to start shooting with them about 100 yards away.. we still give him hell about that..

Its easy to not see all the other ducks. When I land ducks in timber I assume that the whole sky is full of ducks and they see.
Letting some land pays off in huge ways.
If a pair or two ir three land I will not shoot so I can take a gander upwards and see if they'ye all lined up and tornadoing in. To get that to happen...is why I hunt timber. OMG the noise level when it happens...phenominal. :smile:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

aunt betty wrote:
possumfoot wrote:i a boy get too antsy when we were hunting timber.. birds were down in the trees flying down a logging rd when for some reason he decided to start shooting with them about 100 yards away.. we still give him hell about that..

Its easy to not see all the other ducks. When I land ducks in timber I assume that the whole sky is full of ducks and they see.
Letting some land pays off in huge ways.
If a pair or two ir three land I will not shoot so I can take a gander upwards and see if they'ye all lined up and tornadoing in. To get that to happen...is why I hunt timber. OMG the noise level when it happens...phenominal. :smile:

no, it was just those.. he aimed and shot at them at about 100 yards.. they were about 6 feet of the water and you could see the pellets hitting under them..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Boatman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Mistakes happen all the time. Made a mistake today. Hunting a big river,birds fly down by hail call them they circle. Way out of range this time. Hail call again,second circle, almost in range.Looks like they are going to drop in,but no, circle again,this time right over boat blind,35-40 yds,a tough shot with some trees in the way. It looked like they were setting up to land,wind was right the way they were going but no they fly away. Would you have shot or try to get them out front? I will be shooting next time. Buy the way did have ducks in the boat if that matters.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I remember when I was a kid, hunting with my dad. He and his buddy were trying to get me my first duck. I was bouncing around flaring birds, I wanted to see. There was a group of ducks floating in on the decoys no calling. I didn't know they were coming. They didn't say anything, I was keeping quiet they figured they'd let me know when it was time. I look up when the birds were at 60 or so yards, stand up, point, and yell DUCKS! Until the time of his passing, my dad's buddy would do that whenever he saw me.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Before the internet, I cyberscouted at a DU event one time eavesdropping on conversations.... :rolleyes: :sarcmark:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Before the internet, I cyberscouted at a DU event one time eavesdropping on conversations.... :rolleyes: :sarcmark:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Back then you just asked and listened hoping some truth could be gleaned from the bs, just like now.
:clapping:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I think we all make rookie mistakes several times a year. Part of it.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 pm

How about a couple classic miscues with a father and son on their first hunt. Had a pair maybe 80 yards out and coming to die when another blind shot and bumped them. Not wanting to swear in front of the boy, I muttered "shoot" - and they did. Same hunters now with two bunches of birds working, one large, one small. When the smaller of the two groups was still well out but lining up to come in, I confided, "We're not going to wait on the big bunch, we're going to take these." - and my guys tried right then.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:22 pm

greenster wrote:I think we all make rookie mistakes several times a year. Part of it.

Lord knows I still cost us gunning by passing good shots in the expectation of better.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
greenster wrote:I think we all make rookie mistakes several times a year. Part of it.

Lord knows I still cost us gunning by passing good shots in the expectation of better.

happens to the best of us...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Calling the shot on 3 geese in the pocket not realizing 250 mallards were bowed up dropping from the heavens and just about to be in range. The death stare from my buddy was priceless.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:How about a couple classic miscues with a father and son on their first hunt. Had a pair maybe 80 yards out and coming to die when another blind shot and bumped them. Not wanting to swear in front of the boy, I muttered "shoot" - and they did. Same hunters now with two bunches of birds working, one large, one small. When the smaller of the two groups was still well out but lining up to come in, I confided, "We're not going to wait on the big bunch, we're going to take these." - and my guys tried right then.

Haha, love it.

Early in our duck hunting career, we had a group of ducks heading in and a buddy got so excited about it that he was hollering at the blind to wait while standing and emptying his own gun.

I laughed till I couldn't breathe.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

I'm bad about this.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Boatman wrote:Mistakes happen all the time. Made a mistake today. Hunting a big river,birds fly down by hail call them they circle. Way out of range this time. Hail call again,second circle, almost in range.Looks like they are going to drop in,but no, circle again,this time right over boat blind,35-40 yds,a tough shot with some trees in the way. It looked like they were setting up to land,wind was right the way they were going but no they fly away. Would you have shot or try to get them out front? I will be shooting next time. Buy the way did have ducks in the boat if that matters.

Why are you blowing a hail call at circling birds? That could be the first mistake :lol3:

Seen that a hundred times on public land. Some guys only have two levels to their calling.
1. Hail at them
2. Hail at them again
BBK
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Not clarifying the phrase for calling the shot with new hunters. I told my buddy on his very first set of birds to "get ready" and he heard "get em". Shots were fired at about 100yrds.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

I've done the same myself, more than once! Hoping for those feet down, cupped and commited breast shots. Gotten more than one dirty look for making the wrong call. :lol3:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:19 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

I've done the same myself, more than once! Hoping for those feet down, cupped and commited breast shots. Gotten more than one dirty look for making the wrong call. :lol3:

We've adapted to taking those 40 yard shots when we have a familiar group with us. If we have a new guy, we'll let him have the singles floating like a kite over the deeks. I'm not a "feets down" purist, I like eating ducks, and I can't eat them unless we kill 'em. :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

We've adapted to taking those 40 yard shots when we have a familiar group with us. If we have a new guy, we'll let him have the singles floating like a kite over the deeks. I'm not a "feets down" purist, I like eating ducks, and I can't eat them unless we kill 'em. :wink:

Yup....sometimes that "final swing" never happens and we're left watching dinner fly off. Sh*t happens. :lol3:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

Yup....sometimes that "final swing" never happens and we're left watching dinner fly off. Sh*t happens. :lol3:

One word..... GADWALL!
BBK
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:44 pm

BBK wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

One word..... GADWALL!

pssssh, gadwall are one of the easiest ducks for us to shoot down here. We shoot a pile of them too, they always work just right to the kill hole.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 pm

We can't figure them out. Had 3 of them swing us 8 times today and then land out in the middle of the river. We have never been able to get any to suck in except for loners. They just swing and swing and swing 40 yards out until they go land out in the middle of nowhere.
BBK
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole