Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happen?!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happ

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:42 am

about 4-5 seasons ago, we found a spot in Venice loaded with birds in the afternoons when the tide rolled in. it was a little pocket right off a pass on the sand flats. we screwed up when we built the makeshift blind and did not give the birds enough room to work the pocket, choosing instead to get a little too far back to set up. we watched duck after duck circle 100 yards to our left and light. we only needed to be another 50 yards over on a small clump of grass that poked out into the pocket closer to the opening and we would have been golden! We did manage 1/2 a 3 man limit though, but it was a frustrating afternoon watching them work. Rookie mistake and we all knew it after the first flock worked the spread, but we blew our wad and could not move as we only had a little day light to hunt and our willows were already stuck and bent over;pulling them up would have destroyed them.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Since your giving away all da secrets Rick, how about that whistler call..... :wink: :tongue:

Not what I'm currently using, but I'd bet a herding dog whistle would make a kick-ass squealer call. But the only one I heard making the tones I'd want was $40. (Got spooked by that price and didn't try looking up others.)

Thanks Rick. I'll see what I can come across.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 am

I emptied the double barrel at a wood duck that came into the spread and soon as he hit the water a hawk started circling over. I was so concerned about that damn hawk taking my duck that I forgot to put 2 new shells in the gun. Next thing I know I had 2 big Canadians cupped up heading straight into the decoys at 10 yards. So I sat up to shoot and watched them fly off as I tried to reload. dumbass.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:28 am

BurnettGunner wrote:I emptied the double barrel at a wood duck that came into the spread and soon as he hit the water a hawk started circling over. I was so concerned about that damn hawk taking my duck that I forgot to put 2 new shells in the gun. Next thing I know I had 2 big Canadians cupped up heading straight into the decoys at 10 yards. So I sat up to shoot and watched them fly off as I tried to reload. dumbass.

I use to forget to reload after shooting at a flock over the deeks the blind killing multiple birds-especially if we had a cripple. I would be focused on working the dog and forget to put more shells in my gun. On more than one occasion we've had flocks work and when I stood to shoot...click...
It's been a long time since I've forgotten to reload, that's not to say it won't happen again though, but I've made it a habit to check my gun after the dog returns to the blind with the last bird.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 am

I still find myself forgetting to reload, or load in the first place, so regularly I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't more of a "senior" than "rookie" mistake.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 am

Rick Hall wrote:I still find myself forgetting to reload, or load in the first place, so regularly I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't more of a "senior" than "rookie" mistake.

happens more often with the guys working dogs no doubt, I've just adapted to checking my gun after the retrieves are done. Sometimes I find that I've not reloaded and do so immediately.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 am

I'm more apt to reload right after learning I can't help on all those close specks flying off unharmed.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:47 am

Rick Hall wrote:How about a couple classic miscues with a father and son on their first hunt. Had a pair maybe 80 yards out and coming to die when another blind shot and bumped them. Not wanting to swear in front of the boy, I muttered "shoot" - and they did. Same hunters now with two bunches of birds working, one large, one small. When the smaller of the two groups was still well out but lining up to come in, I confided, "We're not going to wait on the big bunch, we're going to take these." - and my guys tried right then.

:lol3:
Reminds me of a Woodduck hunt we had years ago in the Cypress Swamp. Was in the stern paddling, keeping the boat straight in current after the morning flight was over.
Other two were facing me in the jonboat.
Place had a lot of low, overhanging branches, and we approached one that I didn't see initially and when I did I loudly called- "Hey DUCK! (down).
They thought I said- Duck! ---->Image :yes:

No need to explain any farther.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Boatman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:02 am

BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:We can't figure them out. Had 3 of them swing us 8 times today and then land out in the middle of the river. We have never been able to get any to suck in except for loners. They just swing and swing and swing 40 yards out until they go land out in the middle of nowhere.

here is a tip-they like landing in the middle of open water...... :wink: don't fight it, adapt.

Not possible. It really isn't. Our water is so low that the only place we have to hunt is a small pocket of water in a sandbar, its about 20 yards long and 20 yards wide. Other than that it is the main river, but we wouldn't be able to retrieve anything shot. Wouldn't be possible to get a boat there unless it was an airboat, but once you get there it is a good 8-10 foot deep.

We are in such a drought the last two years it is ridiculous! We used to have a huge section of open water in front of the blinds. Now we have three blinds on dry ground and a sandbar that is 1/4 mile long and 100 yards wide.

Don't you have a dog? And what call should I use when ducks are flying away?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 am

Boatman wrote:
BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:We can't figure them out. Had 3 of them swing us 8 times today and then land out in the middle of the river. We have never been able to get any to suck in except for loners. They just swing and swing and swing 40 yards out until they go land out in the middle of nowhere.

here is a tip-they like landing in the middle of open water...... :wink: don't fight it, adapt.

Not possible. It really isn't. Our water is so low that the only place we have to hunt is a small pocket of water in a sandbar, its about 20 yards long and 20 yards wide. Other than that it is the main river, but we wouldn't be able to retrieve anything shot. Wouldn't be possible to get a boat there unless it was an airboat, but once you get there it is a good 8-10 foot deep.

We are in such a drought the last two years it is ridiculous! We used to have a huge section of open water in front of the blinds. Now we have three blinds on dry ground and a sandbar that is 1/4 mile long and 100 yards wide.

Don't you have a dog? And what call should I use when ducks are flying away?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

No, my living situation won't allow a dog.

Comeback call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAS7pnpG80k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJn4baYOPg
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 am

We have a kid that we take out that just can't seem to keep his head down for the first few flights of birds. We were diver hunting late last season and he kept peaking over the blind edge on the boat and spooking flocks. I took him back to the car and made him stay there until we had our limits. The guys left and we spent the rest of the afternoon practicing stay still and shut up lessons. He managed to kill his limit and we had a good talk on the way home. This will be his second season hunting divers with us. I suspect I will be giving that same lesson again once the Scaup hunting opens here.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 am

I shot this goose my very first hunt...
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Image

Even in death they look proud
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am

Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:11 am

OGblackcloud wrote:

+1

Its like he was sent out to see in a burning Viking funeral...
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:20 am

OGblackcloud wrote:

Pfft... I don't know what your talking about, but that eagles sleeping. At least thats what he wants the fish to think. He's working smarter, not harder. About the time he starts to smell, and the fish move in to start nibbling on him, that's when he will strike.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am

Indaswamp wrote:Oh, it's possible....just takes work to do so. You might have to leave a comfortable blind to hunt it and work your azz off, but it's most definitely possible. I'll take sand flats over walking mud anyday though. :wink: Me- I rather ducks pitching in vs. watching them land somewhere else, that is why we always hunt where they are pitching in no matter what it takes.

^^^This^^^ is exactly why I'm often more successful than most of the other "hunters" on the public lands I frequent.
Duck hunting is not that hard, you've just got to be where the birds want to be.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:37 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Oh, it's possible....just takes work to do so. You might have to leave a comfortable blind to hunt it and work your azz off, but it's most definitely possible. I'll take sand flats over walking mud anyday though. :wink: Me- I rather ducks pitching in vs. watching them land somewhere else, that is why we always hunt where they are pitching in no matter what it takes.

^^^This^^^ is exactly why I'm often more successful than most of the other "hunters" on the public lands I frequent.
Duck hunting is not that hard, you've just got to be where the birds want to be.

Whoa, whoa, whoa :smile:
Just need some clarification Blackcloud-
Is it safe to say it's more difficult, ( or even a "tad" bit more challenging), if you don't have permission to be where ducks "want to be"?
What does one do in this situation?
Is one an "inferior" duckhunter because he can't place himself exactly where ducks want to be?

Just know I'd be happy as a Lark knowing I'd just convinced a wary duck that did in fact, "know where he wanted to be", to break off his intended route, come on over and give us a look-see using my 30+ yr. old wooden duckcall.

:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 am

I don't go duck hunting to fill a limit and brag on the internet. I go to have fun, if that means that I don't pull the trigger then so be it. However, it does irritate me when gadwall won't commit. We've had every other species commit without hesitation (even divers) but we cannot get more than a loan gadwall to do it. We don't take them unless they are feet down in the decoys unless they have been shot by another group and are hit, or teal buzzing the decoys... we try those. That is how I learned to hunt and that is probably how I will always hunt.

If I wanted to shoot my limit i'd lay out on that sand bar and shoot it, then watch every duck float down stream since I can't walk more than 2 foot off the bar in chest waders. Then I'd go ahead and pay the wanton waste ticket that will surely be handed to me. :rolleyes:
BBK
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

BBK wrote:I don't go duck hunting to fill a limit and brag on the internet. I go to have fun, if that means that I don't pull the trigger then so be it. However, it does irritate me when gadwall won't commit. We've had every other species commit without hesitation (even divers) but we cannot get more than a loan gadwall to do it. We don't take them unless they are feet down in the decoys unless they have been shot by another group and are hit, or teal buzzing the decoys... we try those. That is how I learned to hunt and that is probably how I will always hunt.

If I wanted to shoot my limit i'd lay out on that sand bar and shoot it, then watch every duck float down stream since I can't walk more than 2 foot off the bar in chest waders. Then I'd go ahead and pay the wanton waste ticket that will surely be handed to me. :rolleyes:

I've got a spot on a fairly swift river that I run a modified sein net across about 50 yards downstream from my spread. I keep it about 3 inches above the water and it catches every duck we drop in the water. Take the canoe when we're done and retrieve everything. Big floating logs can cause issues tho
Jake88
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 am

BBK wrote:I don't go duck hunting to fill a limit and brag on the internet. I go to have fun, if that means that I don't pull the trigger then so be it. However, it does irritate me when gadwall won't commit. We've had every other species commit without hesitation (even divers) but we cannot get more than a loan gadwall to do it. We don't take them unless they are feet down in the decoys unless they have been shot by another group and are hit, or teal buzzing the decoys... we try those. That is how I learned to hunt and that is probably how I will always hunt.

There are ways to retrieve your birds in a swift river current, but like I said, it takes more work. The best method for your situation would be volleyball nets sewn together, string them up down current with ropes, add weights to the bottom of the net. Or you can even order bulk bird netting cheaply and make a long narrow river net for retrieving ducks and geese with that. When you shoot the birds, they will flow down current and hang up on the netting. you can even set up a pulley system and leave that rope on the river to make it easy to put up if it is a remote stretch of river and boat traffic is non-existent during waterfowl season. with the pulley system, after your hunt when all the birds are caught on the net, simply pull the net in to you on the pulleys and retrieve your dusk and geese.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 am

someone beat me to it.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:53 am

Jake88 wrote:

I've got a spot on a fairly swift river that I run a modified sein net across about 50 yards downstream from my spread. I keep it about 3 inches above the water and it catches every duck we drop in the water. Take the canoe when we're done and retrieve everything. Big floating logs can cause issues tho

I would be in jail if I tried that. Good idea, but I suspect your rivers are not like ours. With normal water level everything you see in my picture will be water. We are about 3 foot low right now. Plus there is a guy with a mud motor that runs back and forth trapping when he can get through, I would guess he wouldn't like the net idea.
BBK
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa :smile:
Just need some clarification Blackcloud-
Is it safe to say it's more difficult, ( or even a "tad" bit more challenging), if you don't have permission to be where ducks "want to be"?

Permission is all in the eyes of the beholder......Therein lies the challenge my friend. :hi:

swampbilly 1980 wrote:What does one do in this situation?
Is one an "inferior" duckhunter because he can't place himself exactly where ducks want to be?

I just ask myself this one simple question, "What Would Foiles Do"....You've got to get in, get limits, and gtfo before getting caught :sarcmark:

In the case of perfectly legal huntable, public land, I would not consider those folks "inferior", I would consider them lazy. Many people would be surprised to know the lengths some nuts like me will go to kill a few stupid ducks. :fingerhead:

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Just know I'd be happy as a Lark knowing I'd just convinced a wary duck that did in fact, "know where he wanted to be", to break off his intended route, come on over and give us a look-see using my 30+ yr. old wooden duckcall.

Pfft. Everyone around here knows that you can't call, let alone kill a duck without at LEAST a $200 Acrylic/Platinum/Plutonium/Laser engraved/Banded non-stop highball call. Who are you kidding rookie!! :hammer:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby renoduckman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 pm

leaving the battery for the trolling motor home!

Had a good shoot thought after the long push pole trip.
A bad day hunting beats a good day at work
renoduckman
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole