Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happen?!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happ

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa :smile:
Just need some clarification Blackcloud-
Is it safe to say it's more difficult, ( or even a "tad" bit more challenging), if you don't have permission to be where ducks "want to be"?

Permission is all in the eyes of the beholder......Therein lies the challenge my friend. :hi:

swampbilly 1980 wrote:What does one do in this situation?
Is one an "inferior" duckhunter because he can't place himself exactly where ducks want to be?

I just ask myself this one simple question, "What Would Foiles Do"....You've got to get in, get limits, and gtfo before getting caught :sarcmark:

In the case of perfectly legal huntable, public land, I would not consider those folks "inferior", I would consider them lazy. Many people would be surprised to know the lengths some nuts like me will go to kill a few stupid ducks. :fingerhead:

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Just know I'd be happy as a Lark knowing I'd just convinced a wary duck that did in fact, "know where he wanted to be", to break off his intended route, come on over and give us a look-see using my 30+ yr. old wooden duckcall.

Pfft. Everyone around here knows that you can't call, let alone kill a duck without at LEAST a $200 Acrylic/Platinum/Plutonium/Laser engraved/Banded non-stop highball call. Who are you kidding rookie!! :hammer:

Ahh, I understand.
And a special THANKS for candidly answering my questions- You're honesty has been entertaining, yet quite refreshing ,..was everything I thought it would be :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:24 pm

When I was young and probably on my second hunt ever my grandfather and I unloaded on what we thought were ducks at first light. We walked out with a few teal and a handful of coots.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 pm

BBK wrote:I don't go duck hunting to fill a limit and brag on the internet. I go to have fun, if that means that I don't pull the trigger then so be it. However, it does irritate me when gadwall won't commit. We've had every other species commit without hesitation (even divers) but we cannot get more than a loan gadwall to do it. We don't take them unless they are feet down in the decoys unless they have been shot by another group and are hit, or teal buzzing the decoys... we try those. That is how I learned to hunt and that is probably how I will always hunt.

If I wanted to shoot my limit i'd lay out on that sand bar and shoot it, then watch every duck float down stream since I can't walk more than 2 foot off the bar in chest waders. Then I'd go ahead and pay the wanton waste ticket that will surely be handed to me. :rolleyes:

fishing rod with a large topwater plug with over size hooks. you can cast it a mile. or hunt from a camo float tube.

alternatively, a jerk cord to 4 dekes in the hole you hunt now. no way I'm wasting my time, I'm going to give myself every opportunity to kill every time I go. where you see "the water's too low" I see "time to get creative". different strokes, I guess...
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:25 am

For my best "rookie mistake" I was a true rookie, It was the first time I decided to try and shoot some ducks. A buddy of mine took me to a pond on the back of his property next to a Christmas tree field that was always loaded up with birds. We glassed about 20 "ducks" form up on the hill then made our sneak to the edge. I had the gun, a NEF break apart single shot 12. The plan was to water sluice them and hopefully get reloaded fast enough to get another shot off. We got in range and.... "son of a b@#$% those aren't ducks man they're decoys im tellin you they aint movin" (me) "I think you're right my uncle hunts back here sometimes he musta left em out" (buddy) so we decide to go back to the truck, get poles, and go fishing instead. As we stand up and I unload all of those realistic looking Mallard decoys fly away. :no: we were supposed to never speak of that sneak hunt again but this was a perfect thread for it. :lol3:
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:44 am

Indawoods wrote:
BBK wrote:I don't go duck hunting to fill a limit and brag on the internet. I go to have fun, if that means that I don't pull the trigger then so be it. However, it does irritate me when gadwall won't commit. We've had every other species commit without hesitation (even divers) but we cannot get more than a loan gadwall to do it. We don't take them unless they are feet down in the decoys unless they have been shot by another group and are hit, or teal buzzing the decoys... we try those. That is how I learned to hunt and that is probably how I will always hunt.

If I wanted to shoot my limit i'd lay out on that sand bar and shoot it, then watch every duck float down stream since I can't walk more than 2 foot off the bar in chest waders. Then I'd go ahead and pay the wanton waste ticket that will surely be handed to me. :rolleyes:

fishing rod with a large topwater plug with over size hooks. you can cast it a mile. or hunt from a camo float tube.

alternatively, a jerk cord to 4 dekes in the hole you hunt now. no way I'm wasting my time, I'm going to give myself every opportunity to kill every time I go. where you see "the water's too low" I see "time to get creative". different strokes, I guess...

I've used the old fishing rod trick for birds before as well. When I bring it I also keep a 2 oz round weight with me in the event a dog gets caught up in a decoy and drops it beyond where I can stand. Much less energy than dragging a boat behind ya.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:04 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indawoods wrote:

I've used the old fishing rod trick for birds before as well. When I bring it I also keep a 2 oz round weight with me in the event a dog gets caught up in a decoy and drops it beyond where I can stand. Much less energy than dragging a boat behind ya.

We limited in 15 minutes today. No gadwall, but the teal and woodies dumped right into the decoys. Also shot my VERY FIRST pintail! We don't see many at all and this is the first chance I have had to get one. Was a drake even, but not in full color :sad:

BBK
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Good job BBK :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Nice shoot.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:04 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Nice shoot.

OGblackcloud wrote:Good job BBK :thumbsup:

X2!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:25 am

Some to add...

if you are the rookie-you do NOT jump up before the shot is called by the lead caller!!

Learn to tie knots! The rookie untied the marsh anchor pole and did not retie it like it was with a bowline knot. instead he just used a couple half hitches....LUCKILY, it came untied while we were unloading the boat by the blind and not after we parked the boat away from the blind!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bighop » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Some to add...

if you are the rookie-you do NOT jump up before the shot is called by the lead caller!!

Learn to tie knots! The rookie untied the marsh anchor pole and did not retie it like it was with a bowline knot. instead he just used a couple half hitches....LUCKILY, it came untied while we were unloading the boat by the blind and not after we parked the boat away from the blind!

We wade fish a lot over here, so between that and the hunting, the boat gets left a lot. We never leave it without two forms of anchoring. Usually a wang anchor and a regular anchor, or a wang and a power pole, etc.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 pm

bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Some to add...

We wade fish a lot over here, so between that and the hunting, the boat gets left a lot. We never leave it without two forms of anchoring. Usually a wang anchor and a regular anchor, or a wang and a power pole, etc.

very good tip Bighop..... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole