Timber Holes

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Timber Holes

Postby luie b » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 am

What would you say is the minimum size hole in the trees for a mallard to come through. I ask this because I have no experience with hunting ducks around trees but we have a pond now this year that is flooded back into the timber. If I cut this one tree I want to cut I could open the hole up to 7x7 foot. I don't want to open it much because there's lots of good trees back there that I want to keep because the wood ducks just love it back there because of the seclusion. So should I even bother getting the boat and chainsaw out and opening that hole or should I just hunt the other end of the pond that has no trees? I'll get you guys some pics of it this weekend after I hunt for Illinois opening weekend. It's a really cool farm pond and it's off the flyway a little bit but woodies just love it and we've had some mallards around so far, too. Like I said I have no idea how ducks act around trees so I figure some of you Arkansas and Louisiana guys could give some insight. If I hunt it in the timber I can hide really easily but the other part of it is mowed really short so there's nowhere to hide really.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: Timber Holes

Postby Underradar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am

Cut the tree with the X on it.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:07 am

Oh dam now I gotta cut em all!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:29 pm

If they want in there, they'll get in there. No "hole" necessary. It does make it easier for them though, especially with a stout wind, and the easier the better.

I've seen what I'd guess to be 5k come through a hole in the canopy that wouldn't be big enough to drive a VW Bug through. One group right on another's azz, fanning out and making room. I'll never forget that as long as I live. Pinnacle of duck hunting for me.
I've seen a lot of little groups and some normally good to great groups, for us, finish in the woods. I get real excited over a small group of 10-12 mallards.

I hope you get some to use it. If its junk trees I wouldn't feel too bad about cutting it-piss elm, locust, something like that. I wouldn't cut a producing oak to make room though.
talltimber
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm

If the duck's want in they can get in. Period. Here's some picture's of my smallest hole, One that they have to be set-up perfectly to get good entry, and land in correct area. I know I don't really have a good canopy shot, But I would say it's 10' Wide but has length. You will be surprised how much one tree gone will open up the canopy. If you could do Two where you could get some length to help funnel you would be better off.

"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm

It dont take a huge hole like talltimber says. A clear landing zone helps.
Knock down all the little stuff. Need some water to splash around a make ripples in.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby RNTbuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm

greenster wrote:

is that in GC by chance?
Brah...I'm gonna need counsel
whitecotton wrote:.. I hear you like some schit called a torta.. pm me what the hell it is and ill try to steal you one..
RNTbuck
hunter

Timber Holes

Postby talltimber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 pm

aunt betty wrote:It dont take a huge hole like talltimber says. A clear landing zone helps.
Knock down all the little stuff. Need some water to splash around a make ripples in.

Good point. Yes, get the brush/sprouts/trash out of there. If its big woods you won't have much of that, unless you're hunting a slash or "scatters" area of it. I've seen some pretty popular woods that weren't much more than thickets though. Especially since the ice storm.

Ice limbs suck during duck season but are pretty sweet during crappie spawn if they're in the right area.
talltimber
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:54 pm

RNTbuck wrote:
greenster wrote:

is that in GC by chance?

Nah, long ways away.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 pm

I have seen ducks hitting limbs coming through the canopy. early season hunt a hole in the canopy. late season hunt a bigger hole.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole