I may not be able to duck hunt but...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

I may not be able to duck hunt but...

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I can sure show these big city san diegans how a small town kid, can capitalize off their 'elusive' Crawdads :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: I may not be able to duck hunt but...

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm

what's the size limit on those?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Be careful, in California cancer is everywhere.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:58 pm

wanapasaki wrote:I can sure show these big city san diegans how a small town kid, can capitalize off their 'elusive' Crawdads :lol3:

saki send me a few of those :hi:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I'll trade you a few Good House Keeping issues for a sack of crawfish.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 pm

go get the bird wrote:I'll trade you a few Good House Keeping issues for a sack of crawfish.

...those ain't crawfish, they are spiny lobsters, also known as langouste or rock lobsters. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
go get the bird wrote:I'll trade you a few Good House Keeping issues for a sack of crawfish.

...those ain't crawfish, they are spiny lobsters, also known as langouste or rock lobsters. :thumbsup:

Let him have his moment..you think the San diegan's have any effing clue what they are? :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby go get the bird » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

I bet they go down just as well! Lol
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Indaswamp wrote:what's the size limit on those?

Hey Inda, It's 3.25" from eye to first lat line on the carapace. It takes these puppies 7 years to grow to legal size but there are a lot of toads out here. Its funny watching all these locals scramble and clog up the bay with traps in water that are too deep. I fish right off the jetties during high tide and catch about 10 shorts for every legal. Found a place to rent a skiff, $70 for 8 hours... I better look into getting a commercial license :lol3:

@ Go get the bird- Duuuuude, they better not be water logged mag's :fingerpt:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:what's the size limit on those?

Hey Inda, It's 3.25" from eye to first lat line on the carapace. It takes these puppies 7 years to grow to legal size but there are a lot of toads out here. Its funny watching all these locals scramble and clog up the bay with traps in water that are too deep. I fish right off the jetties during high tide and catch about 10 shorts for every legal. Found a place to rent a skiff, $70 for 8 hours... I better look into getting a commercial license :lol3:

@ Go get the bird- Duuuuude, they better not be water logged mag's :fingerpt:

We don't have many here, but there are some huge ones caught off the rig pipes by divers every year.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:09 pm

If you can get a few hoop nets and some salmon or cod heads, I guarantee you'll catch them. Sometimes I make ice cubes out of anchovies and let them make a chum line next to the fish heads in the trap. If no lobster you'll still catch a big array of crabs, and the only ones you have to throw back are smaller than 4" or dungeness crabs. At least in Cali that is the policy. You should look for some shallow reef in your area (15-20 ft) and set up close to it when the sun starts to go down :hammer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 pm

wanapasaki wrote:If you can get a few hoop nets and some salmon or cod heads, I guarantee you'll catch them. Sometimes I make ice cubes out of anchovies and let them make a chum line next to the fish heads in the trap. If no lobster you'll still catch a big array of crabs, and the only ones you have to throw back are smaller than 4" or dungeness crabs. At least in Cali that is the policy. You should look for some shallow reef in your area (15-20 ft) and set up close to it when the sun starts to go down :hammer:

As far as I know, they are only on the rigs in deep water. Never hear of people catching them in the shallows. We have too much mud bottom here.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:33 pm

here is a pic of some of the big ones they haul off the rigs here:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:36 pm

steve-o wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

My immediate thought was this. Well played.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Damn, those are big! We get a few around here like that. If I get to the Coronado or Catalina Island, I will probably pull in a few giants like that. I almost feel bad to keep them when they get that big though. Rest assured those things are 20+ years :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Damn, those are big! We get a few around here like that. If I get to the Coronado or Catalina Island, I will probably pull in a few giants like that. I almost feel bad to keep them when they get that big though. Rest assured those things are 20+ years :beer:

there is no pressure on the spiney lobster fishery here. can't trap them effectively being so few of them, and divers are the only ones that can get them. they have enough long pipes on the rigs so that they can escape being caught. And it does not take long for another one to move in and replace the ones captured.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:Damn, those are big! We get a few around here like that. If I get to the Coronado or Catalina Island, I will probably pull in a few giants like that. I almost feel bad to keep them when they get that big though. Rest assured those things are 20+ years :beer:

there is no pressure on the spiney lobster fishery here. can't trap them effectively being so few of them, and divers are the only ones that can get them. they have enough long pipes on the rigs so that they can escape being caught. And it does not take long for another one to move in and replace the ones captured.

Yeah I see your point. There is some good pressure out here, but one thing DFG does right in California is protect marine life. Legal lobsters take 7 years to reach maturity, so everywhere its somewhat of a similar harvest as last season as long as the weather doesn't change to drastically. It makes for a fun night on the rocks with some beer!
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:26 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Yeah I see your point. There is some good pressure out here, but one thing DFG does right in California is protect marine life. Legal lobsters take 7 years to reach maturity, so everywhere its somewhat of a similar harvest as last season as long as the weather doesn't change to drastically. It makes for a fun night on the rocks with some beer!

why at night? All the videos I've seen were people lobstering during the day.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

why at night? All the videos I've seen were people lobstering during the day.

They are actually nocturnal. They don't have pincers like Atlantic lobster, so the ones that reach maturity actually become primarily nocturnal. You can catch them walking around early morning and late evening but they are pretty much defenseless when it comes to bigger predators like guitar fish and seals. You probably see people with them in the day because that is when it safe for the divers :lol3: Most of the time when you dive for them, you look at rock piles and such looking for antenna poking out :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:35 pm

I did not know guitar fish ate lobsters....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Oh yeah, they are big on crustaceans
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Doe's are sum big crawdads ya gat dare.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Don't boil me.. I'm still alive! lol
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole