newbie lookin for some advice

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

newbie lookin for some advice

Postby CWduckslayer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey everyone, this will be my 3rd season of duck hunting so I am still quite the rookie. I am asking for a little bit of advice concerning selecting a place to sit tomorrow morning. Am I going to want to find somewhere sitting over a smaller pothole away from bigger water, or somewhere sitting over a big body of water (ie, lake petenwell in this case)? Lookin at 30 degrees tomorrow morning, partly cloudy, light southwest wind. I have a few different places to sit, some in smaller potholes and some just off of big bodies of water, and I can not decide where to go. If someone with a few more seasons under their belt could give me some input it would be much appreciated.
CWduckslayer
hunter

Re: newbie lookin for some advice

Postby Duck_Popper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

You need to do a bit more leg work. You should of went out the night before and scouted out your "few spots" and seen which one was best.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Duck_Popper wrote:You need to do a bit more leg work. You should of went out the night before and scouted out your "few spots" and seen which one was best.

this. only the ducks can tell you where to hunt.

scout more.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby CWduckslayer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Fair enough, the wise have spoken
CWduckslayer
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Scout. Scout. Scout some more.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:48 am

Sit in your dove seat. Locating that is your problem. :thumbsup:
Scouting a lake takes time. Keep going and you'll see where the ducks are going and coming from.
If you do puddle ducks focus on finding "skinny water" where it is shallow and wadable.
The skinny water tends to have soft mud bottoms and is a pita to hunt but usually thats where you end up.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby greenster » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 am

You gotta scout. Slip into a few places in late afternoon. You don't have to spend a whole lot of time at each. What your looking for is a location that as a small number of birds, < 100. Place you want is where the birds filter in via small groups, during the time you want to hunt. If birds are currently using the area, Good but it doesn't mean they will be using the following morning. If there isn't birds there at the time, it doesn't mean they will not be. Example. Lot's of feathers on the water in the area. If i go into a area in the late afternoon and there is feathers and no duck's, I will be there the following morning. A: Feathers don't stick around long B: if they are using it and not in the afternoon. Ta-da they are using it in the AM.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole