How do you guys?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

How do you guys?

Postby Max4Holly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Keep your dang hands and feet warm??? Been hunting a few years now and have yet to find a decent way to keep my hands and feet warm...they are the only things that get cold on me...
Max4Holly
hunter

Re: How do you guys?

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Good gloves and good socks
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Even tho I have yet to purchase them, I would have to recommend heated socks. As far as the hands go, I personally do not wear gloves unless I am putting out it picking up in water. My hands seem to get much colder when wearing gloves. I usually just put my hands under my jacket between my thermals and jacket.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Good gloves and good socks

Wool socks... With a good polyester liner.
I wear gloves that are fingerless that have those wool mitts that fold over your fingers. They work well, I also carry those hand warmer things you break open... They are great.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't wear gloves, can't call and can't feel my gun very well, thought about trying one of those hand warmer pouches that clip on your waders. I was very unprepared this morning when I got to the lake and the truck said 25 degrees...I can handle cold just fine but it just seems my hands and feet get the short end if the stick, might have to break down and look like an idiot and wear socks with a battery pack...
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Max4Holly wrote:I don't wear gloves, can't call and can't feel my gun very well, thought about trying one of those hand warmer pouches that clip on your waders. I was very unprepared this morning when I got to the lake and the truck said 25 degrees...I can handle cold just fine but it just seems my hands and feet get the short end if the stick, might have to break down and look like an idiot and wear socks with a battery pack...

That's why I said fingerless.. You still get the dexterity, and you can flip the cover over the gloves and warm up. It'll probably keep the calling to a minimum...
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 pm

if your hands and feet get cold in 25 degree lows, its probably a circulation issue... i break ice without gloves and my hands don't get cold.. when it gets really cold i just keep may hands looped in my waiders.. never had issues with my feet.. normally just wear white cotton socks, but when temps get real frosty and i'm in a layout, i'll go with non-cotton dress socks and seasl skin goretex socks..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:00 pm

your feet get cold from the perspiration from your feet, which makes your feet damp, and that makes them cold! spray your feet with antiperspirant before you put poly pro liner socks on, then put wool socks on. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 am

Zippo hand warmers (2) in a jacket hand pouch or one of the muffs you're looking at and heavyweight Smartwool socks in loose fitting, well insulated boots. I'm not a fan of polypro or silk liners and prefer plain, non itchy, Merino wool, but the big thing is to have room left in the boots to wiggle your toes and maintain good circulation.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 am

Super thin socks, with wool socks over those. That way when you feet sweat, the wool will pull the moisture and your feet won't freeze. I used musher mitts for cold weather. They are suede with fleece lining on the inside. Sized XXL so they can easily be slipped off my hand when the birds come in and I need to call or shoot
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:23 am

Wool socks. Keep your core warm and your extremities should be good. I use the handwarmer pocket on my waders.
If its icy n windy you better have good gloves and handwarmers.
Be prepared for the worst. Then celebrate when it dont happen. :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:33 am

I put on 14" rubber long liner gloves from the minute I get to the dock, to the minute I load my gun. Any wetness is deadly..from there, I leave my hands in a muffler that attaches to my waders. I wear a left glove for my forearm hand and leave my trigger hand free. My feet are impervious to the cold and even the few times the go numb, they don't hurt...
My hands are excruciating...I am going to order a zippo thermal handwarmer and make man love to it this year.
I'm looking forward to it
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 am

I wear plain cotton socks-shoes to the jumping off point, then change to wool socks/waders. My feet sweat no matter what I wear, and that's bad in the winter. Hands, usually don't have too much trouble, stuck into the sides of my waders like possum. Really cold, picking up a water set, non Texas rig- wool gloves. They get wet and heavy, wring em out and out them back on. Wool is where it's at when you're wet and cold. Those same gloves will not keep my hands warm when they're dry. Wind goes right through them. But wet, yeah boy.
talltimber
hunter

Postby flyfisher76544 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:12 am

Neoprene gloves, keeps your hands warm..... but will hurt your calling.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 am

flyfisher76544 wrote:Neoprene gloves, keeps your hands warm..... but will hurt your calling.

And you'll sweat in them, which makes you cold again
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 am

Call me insane or crazy or both but I use the toe warmers on a pair of cotton socks with a wool sock over that. I am one of those that if my toes or feet get cold, I am ready to GO, regardless. I used them in NoDak and Canada.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 am

There is no such thing as warm feet.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:01 am

Indaswamp wrote:your feet get cold from the perspiration from your feet, which makes your feet damp, and that makes them cold! spray your feet with antiperspirant before you put poly pro liner socks on, then put wool socks on. :thumbsup:

I agree and over insulation can hurt more than it helps.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 am

Only hunt early season when it is warm out. Boom problem solved
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 am

Nowadays with the fuel hand warmers and the electric gloves and feet warmers if your still cold its your own fault . Way back in the day we would take a coffee can and fill it about 1/3 of the way with sand. Pour some denatured alcohol in the can and throw a match in there. Blue flame that you can hardly see . Just keep a gallon of that DA in the boat or blind.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:22 am

Feet will get cold if they are 1) wet/damp, 2) too tight in your boots. When the temp drops I either go up 1/2 size in boots or go to a wide width. My feet get a little more breathing room and very little slippage..... When I walk my feet sweat, no matter how cold it is.... Unless I am going to spend a lot of time sitting I don't wear heavy socks.

For my hands I wear unlined fingerless wool (without the mit flap) and stick them in my pockets if they get cold. Even if they get wet the wool seems to insulate better than anything else. I also carry several pairs so I can change if I need to. Neoprene are nice if your hands are constantly in the water but their tighness restricts circulation and causes your hands to sweat both of which will make your hands cold if you are just sitting. when it gets real cold I will wear a loose fitting mitten over the wool gloves. This seems to work better than fingered gloves because the fingers can press against each other sharing heat inside the mit yet are sheltered from the wind/cold.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 am

Gloves bother me so I don't wear them. Wear wool socks for feet.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole