How much did your tires cost?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: How much did your tires cost?

Postby KaceyDucks » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 am

AT Nittos on 20" rims for $985 all the way around.

31'Procomp for my jeep $800 all the way around
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 am

After 25+ years of driving nothing but trucks and SUV's and going through many brands of OEM and replacement tires I have determined that paying a bit more for very good tires actually saves money in the long run. And for a LT tire there is nothing on the market that can compare to the Michelin LTX series in terms of ride quality, longevity and being quiet.

I've had OEM tires from BFG, Goodyear and others that only lasted 30k miles or less. I tried replacement tires from Cooper (loud as hell and mushy feeling), Bridgestone (also very loud) and others that either didn't last worth a crap or were loud as hell. The LTX Michelin tires are not cheap but I can conservatively get 70k+ miles out of them and they are the most quiet and smooth riding tire made (IMO).

One note on the OEM tire warranty: I called BFG when my 24,500 mile tires on a 2 year old truck were totally worn and was told that the mileage warranty did not apply to OEM tires and the only thing they could offer was a $50 coupon for new ones. I told them that it is ludicris that a tire installed in the factory is not covered with the same mileage warranty as the same exact tire installed as a replacement...and they could keep their $50 because I definitely wasn't going to put the same POS tires on my truck after the first set lasted leass then 30k.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 am

Im not a Walmart advocate I hate the place, but when I checked prices on tires and they came in 300 dollars under my local shops I said I support walmart in this purchase.... They can order any tire you want, they also offer Nationwide warranty CHEAP and where in the USA are you more than 30 min. from a Walmart?

I know I can be bashed for supporting walmart however if I walk away with 300 extra bucks in my pocket on a purchase I feel better and that what matters... :yes: :beer:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am

18javelin wrote:Im not a Walmart advocate I hate the place, but when I checked prices on tires and they came in 300 dollars under my local shops I said I support walmart in this purchase.... They can order any tire you want, they also offer Nationwide warranty CHEAP and where in the USA are you more than 30 min. from a Walmart?

I know I can be bashed for supporting walmart however if I walk away with 300 extra bucks in my pocket on a purchase I feel better and that what matters... :yes: :beer:

This may come as a shock to you, but I know they can't order just any tire. I do know that Bridgestone does, however, makes lines of tires specifically for Walmart and Sams Club that we, as Bridgestone COO, can't get. They do carry quite a few tires that we carry, like the Alenza and Ecopia EP422. We've price checked them and they are right on par with our prices.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am

apexhunter, I would agree with your tire preference. Those wear better than any tire I've ever put on. Ran that tire on every dually we e owned. Just not enough bite for the areas I run this truck in sometimes or that's what would be on it.

ggtb, you or nobody else will ever hear me piss and moan about a reasonable charge for items that FIX what I have wrong. You're assumption that I don't know what it costs to run a shop would be correct. That, I have to assume like you're assuming. I know what parts costs though, and what tires cost off tire rack. Would I be safe to assume that the remainder of the charge is what it costs to run a shop?
talltimber
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 am

talltimber wrote:ggtb, you or nobody else will ever hear me piss and moan about a reasonable charge for items that FIX what I have wrong. You're assumption that I don't know what it costs to run a shop would be correct. That, I have to assume like you're assuming. I know what parts costs though, and what tires cost off tire rack. Would I be safe to assume that the remainder of the charge is what it costs to run a shop?

No, you wouldn't. I'm not assuming. I know exactly how much it costs to run our shop. I know exactly how much money we have to make on sales just to keep the doors open and food on the tables of our employees.

Tire Rack operates just like we do, so your basis that the difference between Tire Rack pricing and all other prices is completely illogical. Tire Rack buys tires from a manufacturer, just like we do. They then decide exactly how much money they need to make in order to keep them running, just like we do. Everything above that is gravy. Don't think that they aren't making money.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 am

Thank you.
talltimber
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm

brsutton86 wrote:If you drive more than just around town don't get a cheap tire! Bfg AT is hard to beat. 79k miles on mine but there plum shot getting ready to buy another set. If you keep proper psi and rotate you get your dollars worth. I haul and pull a lot of stuff I won't put a cheapo on my truck, I depend on them. A lot of goodyears are made in China now. Stay away 2 out of 4 knotted up on my trailer with less than 2k miles. They were 10 ply $210 a piece and suppose to be the BEST trailer tire. Chinese Junk! I priced 285/75/16 bfg at @ $860 mounted and balanced.

Lost another trailer tire. Make that 3 of 4. They'll never be a Good Year on anything I own again. From now on ill check the tire before I buy to make sure they're mase in USA.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 am

brsutton86 wrote:
brsutton86 wrote:If you drive more than just around town don't get a cheap tire! Bfg AT is hard to beat. 79k miles on mine but there plum shot getting ready to buy another set. If you keep proper psi and rotate you get your dollars worth. I haul and pull a lot of stuff I won't put a cheapo on my truck, I depend on them. A lot of goodyears are made in China now. Stay away 2 out of 4 knotted up on my trailer with less than 2k miles. They were 10 ply $210 a piece and suppose to be the BEST trailer tire. Chinese Junk! I priced 285/75/16 bfg at @ $860 mounted and balanced.

Lost another trailer tire. Make that 3 of 4. They'll never be a Good Year on anything I own again. From now on ill check the tire before I buy to make sure they're mase in USA.

Bahahahahaha Good luck. Even if it is an American company, dont count on your tires being made in America.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby dave79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 am

brsutton86 wrote:

We put on a lot of Firestone Transforce HTs in 10 ply on trailers.
dave79
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:07 pm

dave79 wrote:
We put on a lot of Firestone Transforce HTs in 10 ply on trailers.

They make a great trailer tire, hate them on vehicles though.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby TXducksanddeer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:45 pm

As my father said it's just transportation. If he found out I was spending what some of you guys spend on tires, he would personally come down and kick me in the azz.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 pm

You guys know how to check the code on a tire to see when it was manufactured...right? Tires have a 6 year life, after that, it's time to change them. does not matter it they are only on the rim for 2 years and sat on the shelf for 4 years........

The more yo know....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dave79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 pm

There are some RV insurance companies that will not cover a claim if tires are older then five years. Lots of people think that since they have a lot of tread their still good to run em.
dave79
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:42 pm

dave79 wrote:There are some RV insurance companies that will not cover a claim if tires are older then five years. Lots of people think that since they have a lot of tread their still good to run em.

^^^truth^^^^

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dave79 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Had a guy come into the shop running recaps on his motor home one time, the casings were from the late 90's.
dave79
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm

dave79 wrote:Had a guy come into the shop running recaps on his motor home one time, the casings were from the late 90's.

:shudder:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 pm

TXducksanddeer wrote:As my father said it's just transportation. If he found out I was spending what some of you guys spend on tires, he would personally come down and kick me in the azz.

Im not trying to make the case for $1800 tires, but when you consider the incredibly small patch that is actually in contact with the road at any given time, and what it is responsible for, the need for a good tire design is more than "just transportation". There are approximately 300 sq inches of rubber, responsible for stopping a 3000-6000lb vehicle. Think about that next time you have to stand on the brakes because someone pulled out in front of you.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby JustStartin' » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 pm

75-15 tires for gmc jimmy was 390 for everything
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 pm

$1750 35x17x12.5 toyo open country's, $1000 17 fuel hostages. :thumbsup:
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 pm

I just paid 300 for a set of 33 inch toyo mts with 85 percent tread. Just watch craigslist haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Frylock » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:06 am

I was all set to put a set of Toyo AT II's on my truck Monday but the dealer only had three.....so I put Master Craft HSC's on instead, and saved $120. The total bill was $697, not too bad really, but a hard to pill to swallow, putting 60k tires on a truck with 317k seems a little optimistic.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Another vote for the Hankook DynaPro ATm R-13.
I've got about 30K on mine and got out the door for $600 including ft. end alignment. (TireBarn) They are South-Korean made.
Great in the snow, and saved my BUTT in a freezing-rain episode last winter. (Lots of siping on the tread.) They run quiet on the road and I've no complaints at this point. I'd buy another set in a minute at that price.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm

~$400 to get my rear tires replaced, and that was a "DEAL".
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole