Susquehanna River Location

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Susquehanna River Location

Postby Woodywoodduck » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Anyone want to try and Explain to me, were the Susquehanna River goes thru Virginia?

I was reading thru my October 2004 issue of Wildfowl and was reading the Article "Blast from the Past" By Bill Buckley.

In the article he talked about Scull boats and made a referance to the Susquehanna Boat or what we here call the "Sneak boat".

His Quote
The Susquehanna boat, for instance was designed for drifting into waterfowl on the Susquehanna River in Virginia.

Guess what I'm asking is,
Is there a River or Small Steam/Creek in Virginia that is named sorta like the Susquehanna River that Starts in New York State, Flows thru the Middle of Pennsylvania and Dumps into the Cheasepeak Bay in Maryland?
:umm:
For the Life of me, I can not Find were the Susquehanna River Flows Anywere into or thru Virginia!
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:09 am

The bottom of the bay in Virginia used to be the mouth of the Susquehanna river during the ice age if that counts. :umm:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodywoodduck » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:01 am

For some reason, I don't think they came up with the name from were the River was During the Ice Age.

Seems all the Stories I've heard about were these Boats were first built was in Maryland around Havre de Grace.
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:31 pm

Yeah, it's a misprint. The Susky starts in NY, goes through PA, and ends at Havre de Grace MD.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:42 pm

HatterWayne wrote:Yeah, it's a misprint. The Susky starts in NY, goes through PA, and ends at Havre de Grace MD.

Being Raised ALL of my Life Along the Susquehanna River, I would also have to say a Misprint!

There is a Western Branch of the Susquehanna that starts out in Karthaus Pa and flows to Sunbury and meets up with the Main Branch that starts in New York State. It Ends at the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.

Does anyone know for Sure were the Susquehanna Boats were first Built?

From the Stories I have heard on them and read, they were made in Havre de Grace MD by the Market hunters.
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:00 pm

I know that Maryland passed laws prohibiting the use of "Susquehanna Skiffs" and other boats using "long guns" in 1837?

HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

My partners and I have 2 of these boats

Postby RiverRat » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:06 pm

We hunt the Susquehanna River,near Columbia.Pa.Scull boats use a 16 foot oar and you must row in figure 8's,My freinds Uncle made manny of these boats back in the 30's and 40's.His name was Charles Lucas.We still have one of a Charles's boats that we use today,but with Fred getting up in age,I guess it's my turn to learn how to row the boat.
Almost no wind and depending how hard the dam is pulling is very critical in running these boats.
Where in the heck have all the birds gone,My fly zone must stink
RiverRat
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole