Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 pm

imboray wrote:I have the luxury of not having to hunt WMA's, even though I only live 7 miles north of one of the biggest public hunting areas in IL, we hunt on a city lake with a permanent blind that we sign up every year, so I really don't have to deal with the issue, though I have in the past. I don't begrudge any young guy whose out there, regardless of how they hunt, it is public hunting. As much as we'd like to think different, we don't have our spot in a public area. Unfortunately I think one should expect that sort of thing when hunting public land. So many times its young hunters just getting involved that don't have what it takes to finish ducks. It is the old difference between "hunting to kill" vs. "killing to hunt." Most youths do the latter, hopefully as they age their philosophy changes. The thing I can't get my head around is how its any fun to skybust and take those ridiculous shots. For me all the fun is passing up a 30 yd shot because you know you have them on a string & can put them in your dekes at 20 yds. I don't think I would duck hunt if I had to shoot passing shots at 40 yds, or further, to kill ducks, I just don't see any enjoyment in it. We have a blind across the lake from us that shoots shots all the time that we would never take. They knock some down at long distances & retireive them, but I just shake my head because, again, I don't see the joy or skill involved.

This.
Geaux Tigers
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana


Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:27 pm

T Man wrote:I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.


I've noticed that too. Its only sky busting when the guy across the marsh misses. :rolleyes:
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby imboray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
T Man wrote:I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.


I've noticed that too. Its only sky busting when the guy across the marsh misses. :rolleyes:


That's not true, sky busting is sky busting is sky busting. It doesn't matter how many you knock down. If you are shooting long distances because you can't get them any closer, then you are sky busting. I've seen people that are pretty good at it, doesn't mean they can finish birds. To each their own I suppose, its just not for me.
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Bill Herian » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:38 pm

If you can reliably knock them down, it's not sky busting.

I don't get up at four in the morning to watch birds that I could kill fly away because they aren't "feet down over the blocks".
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 3830
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby imboray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:17 pm

I do!!LOL At least you admit it. That's something I can respect
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 pm

As mentioned, if you can consistently kill them at 50+ yards it isn't skybusting. I have a hunting buddy that we upland hunt with that regularly kills fly aways at 50+ yards. He lets everyone else shoot and miss, then hammers em way out there.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 5920
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby boney fingers » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:01 pm

If I miss em at 15 yards is it skybusting?
boney fingers
hunter
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby toolmaker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:06 pm

imboray wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
T Man wrote:I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.


I've noticed that too. Its only sky busting when the guy across the marsh misses. :rolleyes:


That's not true, sky busting is sky busting is sky busting. It doesn't matter how many you knock down. If you are shooting long distances because you can't get them any closer, then you are sky busting. I've seen people that are pretty good at it, doesn't mean they can finish birds. To each their own I suppose, its just not for me.

you totally have no clue where the term skybusting comes from or its MEANING..... skybusting means missing ducks and just shooting the sky!!!

it ludicrous for you to say that you don't care how many a guys knocks down, its still skybusting.....just total hogwash.

soooo if the guy shoots 30 ducks and kills 30 ducks beyond YOUR specified range limitation....you still think he is doing something wrong? :huh: :huh: :huh:

if a guy shoots at 9 ducks at 55 yards overhead and he kills 6 of them.......he isn't skybusting.....he is INCREASING the kill percentage for the AVERAGE duck hunter in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get your head out of your pompous behind.....and live your life and let other live theirs!

where does it end with you?? do I have to use the shells YOU say?
do I have to use the dog breed YOU say?
do we have to use the gun YOU say?


its opinions like yours that just blow my mind.....

and its not what you like... that's fine, like what ever you want!...
its what you say is acceptable and NOT acceptable FOR OTHERS

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:39 pm

toolmaker wrote:
imboray wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
T Man wrote:I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.


I've noticed that too. Its only sky busting when the guy across the marsh misses. :rolleyes:


That's not true, sky busting is sky busting is sky busting. It doesn't matter how many you knock down. If you are shooting long distances because you can't get them any closer, then you are sky busting. I've seen people that are pretty good at it, doesn't mean they can finish birds. To each their own I suppose, its just not for me.

you totally have no clue where the term skybusting comes from or its MEANING..... skybusting means missing ducks and just shooting the sky!!!

it ludicrous for you to say that you don't care how many a guys knocks down, its still skybusting.....just total hogwash.

soooo if the guy shoots 30 ducks and kills 30 ducks beyond YOUR specified range limitation....you still think he is doing something wrong? :huh: :huh: :huh:

if a guy shoots at 9 ducks at 55 yards overhead and he kills 6 of them.......he isn't skybusting.....he is INCREASING the kill percentage for the AVERAGE duck hunter in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get your head out of your pompous behind.....and live your life and let other live theirs!

where does it end with you?? do I have to use the shells YOU say?
do I have to use the dog breed YOU say?
do we have to use the gun YOU say?


its opinions like yours that just blow my mind.....

and its not what you like... that's fine, like what ever you want!...
its what you say is acceptable and NOT acceptable FOR OTHERS

the tool

Skybuster.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre


copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
User avatar
sampsonhuntin
hunter
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:45 am
Location: roseboro, north carolina

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 pm

I feel the need to apologize for my generation. There are an alarming amount of idiots who happen to be my age. Thankfully I had mentors and know better, I only wish the same was true for the rest of the 20 something year olds that are out there.

Only shoot the birds you know you can kill, know what you are killing, and don't leave even the shit-birds to rot. This should be common sense :no:
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:19 pm
Location: Do you really have to ask?

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby imboray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm

toolmaker wrote:
imboray wrote:
Bill Herian wrote:
T Man wrote:I've never understood the condemnation of sky busters but the constant need for tighter and tighter chokes.


I've noticed that too. Its only sky busting when the guy across the marsh misses. :rolleyes:


That's not true, sky busting is sky busting is sky busting. It doesn't matter how many you knock down. If you are shooting long distances because you can't get them any closer, then you are sky busting. I've seen people that are pretty good at it, doesn't mean they can finish birds. To each their own I suppose, its just not for me.

you totally have no clue where the term skybusting comes from or its MEANING..... skybusting means missing ducks and just shooting the sky!!!

it ludicrous for you to say that you don't care how many a guys knocks down, its still skybusting.....just total hogwash.

soooo if the guy shoots 30 ducks and kills 30 ducks beyond YOUR specified range limitation....you still think he is doing something wrong? :huh: :huh: :huh:

if a guy shoots at 9 ducks at 55 yards overhead and he kills 6 of them.......he isn't skybusting.....he is INCREASING the kill percentage for the AVERAGE duck hunter in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get your head out of your pompous behind.....and live your life and let other live theirs!

where does it end with you?? do I have to use the shells YOU say?
do I have to use the dog breed YOU say?
do we have to use the gun YOU say?


its opinions like yours that just blow my mind.....

and its not what you like... that's fine, like what ever you want!...
its what you say is acceptable and NOT acceptable FOR OTHERS

the tool


You obviously hunt to kill ducks, I kill ducks so I can hunt. The juice for me is calling & working ducks as tight as I can get em. I would rather walk out with an empty strap and watch you kill birds at 50+ yds than revert to turning duck hunting into a wing shoot. You seem to get a bit irate at the thought that someone hunts differently than you. I don't think one way is right o wrong, in fact I think I said that a least twice, I just prefer to hunt in a manner that requires more skills than shooting a shot gun. Hitting birds at 50+ yds certainly takes skill, kudos!!
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby toolmaker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

imboray wrote:
You obviously hunt to kill ducks, I kill ducks so I can hunt. The juice for me is calling & working ducks as tight as I can get em. I would rather walk out with an empty strap and watch you kill birds at 50+ yds than revert to turning duck hunting into a wing shoot. You seem to get a bit irate at the thought that someone hunts differently than you. I don't think one way is right o wrong, in fact I think I said that a least twice, I just prefer to hunt in a manner that requires more skills than shooting a shot gun. Hitting birds at 50+ yds certainly takes skill, kudos!!

thats worded much different that the previous post i replied to. the gist of your earlier post was that guys who shoot at longer ranges were automatically skybusters if they killed birds or not...
guys who take pop shots at ducks flying way over head and seldom drop a bird...are skybusters....

and its unethical to shoot over and over again at ranges you are consistantly NOT KILLING the birds....that can be 25 yards or 60 yards

I love to hit what i am aiming at...I persoanlly shoot at ducks from 20 yards out to occasionaly 55 or 60 yards....seldom do i measure them....id prefer not to shoot ducks less than 20 yards... they just get torn up. I shoot a factory mod choke 100% of the time... i shoot 3.5 " 2's 1.5 oz 100% of the time at ducks....the load is too devastating at close range....but I shoot puddlers out to seaducks..and i want to shoot JUST one load for every hunt...no switching up and guessing at leads....

I dont shoot golden eyes past 40 yards, nor seaducks. i dont shoot past 45 yards in winds over 15 mph. at each phase of the game, you have guys who can do it and guys who fail miserably( at shooting) for sure guys who shoot past 40 yards when they never hit birds ...need to stop....and guys who shoot at the 75 yard hail marys, ruin it for everyone in the marsh, because they just keep pushing the birds back up and never let them work....


you can t hunt anyway you like and you can give your preference....we all have those.....but i only objected with the way you labeled guys who shoot at ducks you dont....as skybusters......which isnt neccessarily the case!

calling ducks and getting them to circle and hook into the spread is great....i like that but not that much better than a 40 yard passer......i love the 35-45 yards crosser and over head.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 am

Here's a fundamental question for everyone that may help this debate....

If you saw a party of guys, let's say pass shooting a point with decoys...
and they were consistently hitting and killing birds at 50yards+....they got out and retrieved their birds every time...there were 6 guys in the boat, so the limit was big because they were nailing brant, buffs, mergs and a few other things...and they went though boxes of shells....

Would you say that they were skybusters?

The root of my question is:
Do you think that guys that shoot a lot at long distances are Busters?
Do you think that guys that shoot a lot and miss are busters?
Is it just the perceptions of a bunch of yahoos showing up late in a POS boat, with crap decoys, yuckin it up and blasting their guns that makes them busters?

My personal view is this:
I don't care how hot a spot is, there is almost no reason at all (unless you are wiffing on Old Squaw) to go through a box of shells in one sitting.
I for one will almost never shoot unless a bird is almost feet down in the deeks. That's what I am after. Not "Hail Mary's" and "Let's see's" and "why nots"......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:18 am

Not me. I'd rather shoot 20 times and come home with no birds than only see one bird, shoot, and drop it.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:21 am

assateague wrote:Not me. I'd rather shoot 20 times and come home with no birds than only see one bird, shoot, and drop it.

Really...I'm surprised...
What's the logic there? Loud noises? Do you like sparkly things too?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:22 am

assateague wrote:Not me. I'd rather shoot 20 times and come home with no birds than only see one bird, shoot, and drop it.

I`ll let this one go for now since its still early . Morning assa
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 10390
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby toolmaker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:35 am

no they are not skybusters, guys with $40,000 duckwater boats hanging 300 hp worth of motor off the back with a $3,000 seaduck rig, can skybust...it has nothing to do with slobby ness....

skybusting is guys shooting at birds they cant hit, and usually other people notice when its REALLY high......

the worst case of skybusting I have ever seen and I easily realized its effect on EVERYONE within a mile radius, is up in VT on the Canadian border on opening day... near a federal wildlife refuge... a shoreline , lined with guys in blinds and boats....hundreds and hundreds of birds in the area!....and they were working...they wanted in!!!

but there was at least 50 % of the hunters popping away at them when they flew over at 80 yards...so the ducks rarely if ever actually flew down below 80 yards... those guys just kept them up..... if they waited till they were killable.... slowly but surely groups would have shot their limit one by one and everyone would have killed ducks.....but no way......very few guys got ducks, they lucky ones where the ducks dropped in fast...

people have "skybusting" stuck on their head, and they use it to term up poor hunters. although guys that let the birds work and miss time after time at decoy ranges are really skybusters too...they don't hurt other hunters in the area.....they may educate the birds...but that doesn't matter, because if they shot good , the ducks would be dead...

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:03 am

Slack Tide wrote:
assateague wrote:Not me. I'd rather shoot 20 times and come home with no birds than only see one bird, shoot, and drop it.

Really...I'm surprised...
What's the logic there? Loud noises? Do you like sparkly things too?



Nope. Just means I'm where some birds want to be, but am a poor shot. I'll take that over being a great shot, yet sitting and seeing only one duck all say. That's boring and frustrating.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby imboray » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 am

I think we are arguing semantics kids!! Everyone's definition of a what skybuster is, is going to be one that doesn't qualify them as such. If you shoot birds at 50 yds then a skybuster is someone who shoots them at 60 yds, if you shoot at 60 yds then its 70 yds, etc, etc. I think its kinda funny that everyone bitches about skybusters, but has anyone ever actually met one? We've all seen em, watched em, but have you ever talked to someone about hunting ducks & had them say "Ya I'm a skybuster! Its fun!!! I can kill birds at 50 yds!!!"?? I always viewed a skybuster as someone who didn't have the skills or know how on the call or with decoy set up get birds to finish, so they slung some steel in hopes of shagging some birds that flew over to look at the decoys. I don't argue the fact that some are good at it, again its just not for me. As previously mentioned I don't begrudge those that do it that way, I just don't see how it can be any fun. I bet dove season is a hoot around your place!! One other reason many of us hunt is to be able to hang out with our buddies, bitch about our wives, tell lies & talk about the good ol' days, skybusters get those enjoyments as well, so I understand it, it just seems you would miss out on those conversations because you are out of breath from those 1/2 mile walks retrieving your birds.
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby toolmaker » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 am

funny, in a way I hunt with skybusters all the time....my friends miss at 30 yards crossers, then miss again at 40 yards going away only to clip a wing on the 50 yard hail mary and turn to me and yell" I got it, I got it!!!"

as I have to go get the boat and pick up their crip that sailed 300 yards. luckily they don't start shooting at 50 yard ducks!!
on the other side of the coin I had a buddy I hunted with many years ago when I was cutting my teeth on learning duck hunting... he was a great shot.. and I would get upset many times when he would shoot at a duck WAY WAY up there...and his occassinaly golden BB would knock one down and justify his efforts to himself!!!! his father had told him once, you cant kill it unless you shoot the gun....he kept that philosophy at heart!

I don't hunt with him anymore and haven't for 10 years.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:01 am

I just wish guys would wait until the birds are committed and in the rig...they are so fixated on the fact that they only get out on the weekends and somehow they are entitled to blast away...there is zero concern for the locals who have to stay behind..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:02 am

I personally won't shoot that far but have always considered anything outside 70-75 yards skybusting.. I knew some guys that routenly pass shot at geese 100 yards plus over their head. The thing about skybusters is they often consider one bird in 20 or 25 shots a great success when is is realy just dumb luck. I'll admit in my younger days I fired a few rounds way beyond reasonable range and would on a rare occasion drop a bird. But it was never the bird I was shooting at so I realized right away it was luck. In all my years I doubt I have fired even a box of shells at birds beyond 60 yards Because I quickly realized the futility in it.
User avatar
dakotashooter2
hunter
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Underradar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 am

ScaupHunter wrote:As mentioned, if you can consistently kill them at 50+ yards it isn't skybusting. I have a hunting buddy that we upland hunt with that regularly kills fly aways at 50+ yards. He lets everyone else shoot and miss, then hammers em way out there.

This. Is what I do.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
User avatar
Underradar
hunter
 
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Rut Coon, LA

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby imboray » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:17 am

I wonder how many "skybusters" have ever had the opportunity to kill ducks at 20 yds with their boots on?? I would surmise, not many. I have been fortunate to have a mentor & friend that introduced me to the sport & showed me how great that experience could be. Its why I won't do it any other way. I've been hunting for 10 yrs & still get goose bumps every time a bunch of mallards fall into the dekes at 20yds. My heart rate increases, the adrenaline pumps, 20 degree weather ceases to exist The sound of their wings as they make their last pass, the hens answering the call. letting 5 land in teh decoys because 25 more are working above, convincing ducks to do something they otherwise wouldn't have done. That's the juice brother, that's the juice!!!
imboray
hunter
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 am

That's juice to you. Tastes like pecan juice to me. To each their own.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clif12345, Google [Bot], Greenheadindy, MinnesotaDan, OGblackcloud, sprigs4days and 34 guests