Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:11 am

imboray wrote: The sound of their wings as they make their last pass, the hens answering the call. letting 5 land in teh decoys because 25 more are working above, convincing ducks to do something they otherwise wouldn't have done.

Something a buster will never know...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm more of a coffee kinda' guy...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Frylock » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Today I took a friend hunting who is undoubtedly a chronic sky buster (he told me a few weeks ago his hit to miss ratio was about ten to one!). He's only been hunting a couple of years and has no mentor other than me. This morning we get birds that were working nicely and we let them just come on in and did pretty good for ourselves, but I know when he's off on his own it's a giant turd storm. Why? Lots of reasons probably but mostly cause he's cheap as hell and won't put together a decent spread to get good results. He thinks I'm crazy for dropping lots of coin on a few good decoys or a layout blind and enough raffia to hide it well. I try to give him some insight so he can be a better hunter but I feel it falls on deaf ears and he'll continue to hunt in some half-@&$ed manner. Anyway, he's a good friend and I do enjoy hunting with him and hope some of what I trying to show him will stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby Underradar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 pm

You guys who don't skybust need to admit you don't skybust because you lack the skill to make the far shots. So you are forced to try the close shots only. You are limited in what you can do, and, inferior.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby imboray » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Underradar wrote:You guys who don't skybust need to admit you don't skybust because you lack the skill to make the far shots. So you are forced to try the close shots only. You are limited in what you can do, and, inferior.

I lack the skills to kill birds at 50+ yards...I haven't had enough practice because I don't need to
imboray
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

:bow:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:36 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:
Bigpuddin43 wrote:So how do new guys get started in the right direction. I have been hunting for a couple years and started hunting with some buddies that had been doing it for a few years before that so I know the ethics of what y'all are talking about. Took my brother hunting last year when he was down and he fell in love with duck hunting. Problem is he lives in Wisconsin 8 hours away from me or anyone else he knows that duck hunts. He has a few private spots but mostly is hunting public ground. He knows the ethics but has yet to kill a duck this year. He spends considerable more time scouting than hunting and sees ducks almost everytime out but just can't seam to figure it out and be at the right spot. Now if he posts up on a place like this asking for help within the first few posts I can guarantee you will get a cyberscouter reply and people will be digging him about trying to get someone's spot when he really just needs someone to show him the ropes. I'm headed up there next weekend to see if I can help him out any but in two days doubt I will be able to tell him much about anything going on in the area. But we will hopefully get some enjoyable hunts in and some quality time in the field.

Best way to find the birds is go on ducks unlimiteds website and read the reports for his area, that way he knows whats coming down, and what there already. the website also offers pics and videos on how and were to set up, what calls to use when, its really helped me get the technical aspects down when it comes to hunting.

I have no problem giving someone a hand if the come up to me and ask. That's what hunting is all about. Most of us had someone help us out somewhere along the road. What upsets me is when they just set up shop right next to me. With it saying a word, most places it is not that hard to move a couple hundred yards away.

Also if you are consistently knocking birds down and retrieving then you are not sky busting. These birds are within your effective range, this I do not have a problem with. What bothers me abd most other hunters is guys that shoot just to shoot. Or get pissed when birds start to work someone else's spread and shoot, because of they don't get them then no one will. It's pretty clear to see when this is what's happening.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Stish85 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stish85
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Stish85 wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:
Bigpuddin43 wrote:So how do new guys get started in the right direction. I have been hunting for a couple years and started hunting with some buddies that had been doing it for a few years before that so I know the ethics of what y'all are talking about. Took my brother hunting last year when he was down and he fell in love with duck hunting. Problem is he lives in Wisconsin 8 hours away from me or anyone else he knows that duck hunts. He has a few private spots but mostly is hunting public ground. He knows the ethics but has yet to kill a duck this year. He spends considerable more time scouting than hunting and sees ducks almost everytime out but just can't seam to figure it out and be at the right spot. Now if he posts up on a place like this asking for help within the first few posts I can guarantee you will get a cyberscouter reply and people will be digging him about trying to get someone's spot when he really just needs someone to show him the ropes. I'm headed up there next weekend to see if I can help him out any but in two days doubt I will be able to tell him much about anything going on in the area. But we will hopefully get some enjoyable hunts in and some quality time in the field.

Best way to find the birds is go on ducks unlimiteds website and read the reports for his area, that way he knows whats coming down, and what there already. the website also offers pics and videos on how and were to set up, what calls to use when, its really helped me get the technical aspects down when it comes to hunting.

I have no problem giving someone a hand if the come up to me and ask. That's what hunting is all about. Most of us had someone help us out somewhere along the road. What upsets me is when they just set up shop right next to me.

Would you be pissed if it were a pack of smokin' hot, friskey, coeds that set up right next to you?
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm

go get the bird wrote:
Stish85 wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:

I have no problem giving someone a hand if the come up to me and ask. That's what hunting is all about. Most of us had someone help us out somewhere along the road. What upsets me is when they just set up shop right next to me.

Would you be pissed if it were a pack of smokin' hot, friskey, coeds that set up right next to you?

Depends on how friendly they were. ;)

Stish85
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Stish85 wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Stish85 wrote:I have no problem giving someone a hand if the come up to me and ask. That's what hunting is all about. Most of us had someone help us out somewhere along the road. What upsets me is when they just set up shop right next to me.

Pretty much my point. You'd only be pissed if there was nothing in it for you.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:08 pm

go get the bird wrote:
Stish85 wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Stish85 wrote:I have no problem giving someone a hand if the come up to me and ask. That's what hunting is all about. Most of us had someone help us out somewhere along the road. What upsets me is when they just set up shop right next to me.

Pretty much my point. You'd only be pissed if there was nothing in it for you.

No like I said I have no problem if a guy comes and says something to me. If a guy comes up to me and says "hey I've never hunted here before so I might be a little close to you guys today" or "hey I'm new to hunting do you mind if I set up by you guys" or even "hey I woke up late and someone else is where I normally go mind if I set up near you" then I don't have a problem with it. It's when guys just try to sneak in and squeeze between to groups that I have a problem. Hell I've had guys come up to me after a hunt and say sorry I was kinda close I didn't see you there. Being friendly goes a long way.

Even if they didn't say anything to me but were respectful and let the birds work and finish to whomever's spread they wanted, no problem.

Stish85
hunter

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Stish85 wrote:No like I said I have no problem if a guy comes and says something to me. If a guy comes up to me and says "hey I've never hunted here before so I might be a little close to you guys today" or "hey I'm new to hunting do you mind if I set up by you guys" or even "hey I woke up late and someone else is where I normally go mind if I set up near you" then I don't have a problem with it. It's when guys just try to sneak in and squeeze between to groups that I have a problem. Hell I've had guys come up to me after a hunt and say sorry I was kinda close I didn't see you there. Being friendly goes a long way.

Even if they didn't say anything to me but were respectful and let the birds work and finish to whomever's spread they wanted, no problem.

You realize of course that you come across like a king on a throne or some crap, right? "If THEY come over to ME", "if HE says to ME". How about you get off your holier than thou ass and walk over and be friendly to them, as you advocated they do to you? You seem to forget, these are the new guys- they don't know any better. But you do. So walk over, be friendly, and explain it. Instead, it appears from this post as if you want any new hunters to admire your majesty, and occasionally come kiss your ring to get your blessing to hunt where they are. BS.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby aunt betty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Kiss my ring...kiss it!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Fatback » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:24 pm

It's not sky busting if your shooting lead through a turkey choke is it? I found a bunch of lead hulls where a group was hunting close to us.... We kept seeing them taking these crazy shots, kept wondering why....

Sent from the smoker
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Underradar wrote:You guys who don't skybust need to admit you don't skybust because you lack the skill to make the far shots. So you are forced to try the close shots only. You are limited in what you can do, and, inferior.

When you get them close like I do there is no "trying" or "forcing" involved.

My advice to you is to "keep trying"..... some day you will be a good enough hunter to get them close.............. :lol3:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby :-) » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:37 pm

If you don't hunt ducks to kill why take a gun? I would think a video camera would be your weapon of choice.

Like it or not duck hunting is a shooting sport, and it always will be.
:-)
hunter

Postby Underradar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:

When you get them close like I do there is no "trying" or "forcing" involved.

My advice to you is to "keep trying"..... some day you will be a good enough hunter to get them close.............. :lol3:

I laugh at your puny advice.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm

assateague wrote:
Stish85 wrote:No like I said I have no problem if a guy comes and says something to me. If a guy comes up to me and says "hey I've never hunted here before so I might be a little close to you guys today" or "hey I'm new to hunting do you mind if I set up by you guys" or even "hey I woke up late and someone else is where I normally go mind if I set up near you" then I don't have a problem with it. It's when guys just try to sneak in and squeeze between to groups that I have a problem. Hell I've had guys come up to me after a hunt and say sorry I was kinda close I didn't see you there. Being friendly goes a long way.

You realize of course that you come across like a king on a throne or some crap, right? "If THEY come over to ME", "if HE says to ME". How about you get off your holier than thou ass and walk over and be friendly to them, as you advocated they do to you? You seem to forget, these are the new guys- they don't know any better. But you do. So walk over, be friendly, and explain it. Instead, it appears from this post as if you want any new hunters to admire your majesty, and occasionally come kiss your ring to get your blessing to hunt where they are. BS.

I guess if that is the way you want to read it. However, if I am already in my spot when some one comes out and is deciding where to sit wouldn't it make sense for him to approach you. After all when you see a light shining around in the dark how are you supposed to know what's going on? Are they looking for other hunters to shine back so they know where others are? Are they trying to get there bearings? Did they drop something and are trying to find it? As far as new hunters how are you supposed to know if they need help? How are you supposed to know if they are even a new hunter? If people don't ask for help how can they expect to get it? It's one thing if it is obvious they need help but that is not always the case. And it's kinda hard to go out and talk to guys when so many people have and openly voice the "this is public hunting land I'll sit where I want and everyone else can piss off", which while true it's exactly the reason why hunter recruitment numbers are so low. I had a buddy he was out and went to ask someone a question and got his ass chewed just for approaching the hunter. Wasn't even able to ask his question.

Stish85
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:06 pm

They don't even know. Share a blind with a professional trap shooter one day and get your feelings hurt. They will take their limit on shots that the rest of the blind wouldn't even think of pulling up on!!
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:16 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:

They don't even know. Share a blind with a professional trap shooter one day and get your feelings hurt. They will take their limit on shots that the rest of the blind wouldn't even think of pulling up on!!

well the trap guys can usually shoot, but crossers at 30 mph, at 40-50 yards are not the trap guys fodder!!!!!!!!!!! they have premounted guns and shoot at mostly going away targets...sometimes they barely swing their gun at all... a competition sporting clay shooter is another story.... they get 60 yards targets all the time

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:52 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:

I've watched a guy who misses 4-7 birds in a 16 week trap season shoot 19 times to kill 3 farm pheasants.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:46 am

Bill Herian wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:

I've watched a guy who misses 4-7 birds in a 16 week trap season shoot 19 times to kill 3 farm pheasants.

Check youtube for tom knapp hunting. He misses just like anyone else.... some really easy shots too!

Trap is a lot different, a good trap shooter can see the clay leaving and know exactly where it is heading, not the case with live birds.
BBK
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:25 am

So here is a question. Watch this little video made while pass shooting (or is it skybusting). The camera is a Replay 480 with a 61 degree FOV, so it is not a fishbowl like the Gopros. Where the bird crosses the road, is is very close to 45 yds away and the second shot is probably closer to 60. The first shot is probably at 8-10 foot lead , and the second is out a little farther, probably 12-14 feet . Unfortunately, the camera is not quite over the gun to give a down the bead look, but you get the idea. I shot 8 birds this particular morning, at ranges from 20 yds to 60 yds. I missed 3 birds completely, 2 behind and 1 too far in front. I took 16 shots total.

Is it skybusting, or is it pass shooting?

A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm

assateague wrote:Or just have everybody grow a sack and stop bitching about it.

...this from the itchy trigger finger on pintails at 80+ yards...... :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:A few minutes one way or the other really isn't an issue. Not everybodys clocks are set for the exact time. But oftentime 20 minutes early means you have no clue what you are shooting at other than a shadow in the sky. These are the guys that are going to lose a higher percentage of birds and likely shoot over their limit of hens, and leave them laying in a pile.... THAT is what bothers and affects us .............

when a single comes in and I can hear the drake calling as he sits down, I know exactly what it is..... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole