Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 pm

BBK wrote:
Sounds like they were willing to learn, kudos for the guy who offered to help them! I can't imagine learning to waterfowl hunt on my own without anybody showing me the ropes.

Exactly. Thankfully, I had about 5 years to learn the ropes from my grandpa when I was 8-13 before he got real sick. I then hunted trial and error until I got the hang of it around 17. He passed away last January and one of the last conversations I can remember with him was getting advice on a hole he hunted for years and what to do. I still shut my mouth and open my ears when someone with experience starts talking. You can never learn it all.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby sneaky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:
BBK wrote:
Sounds like they were willing to learn, kudos for the guy who offered to help them! I can't imagine learning to waterfowl hunt on my own without anybody showing me the ropes.

Exactly. Thankfully, I had about 5 years to learn the ropes from my grandpa when I was 8-13 before he got real sick. I then hunted trial and error until I got the hang of it around 17. He passed away last January and one of the last conversations I can remember with him was getting advice on a hole he hunted for years and what to do. I still shut my mouth and open my ears when someone with experience starts talking. You can never learn it all.

I've been a diesel mechanic for seven years, the last part you wrote about shutting the mouth and opening the ears is spot on when it comes to wisdom. It doesn't matter the books you study, videos you watch, nothing beats experience. And the one talking has earned those gray hears, and usually the hard way by making plenty of mistakes.

When an elder starts talking hunting, i just listen, because theres nothing i can contribute, that they havn't already experienced.

Cheers!
Duckwise wrote:Duck Calls have saved more ducks lives than they have caused to be taken thats for damn sure.
sneaky
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 am

t_baker wrote:I took a guy hunting 3 years ago. To this day he thinks he is a master duck hunter. His call sounds like a kazoo. He cant shoot. Cant set decoys, all around idiot. His ethics caused me to not take him hunting again. He asked me if he could use my blind couple weeks ago and i told him no. I didn't want people thinking it was me in the blind shooting grebes and calling like a moron.

Moral of the story, peoples ethics are gone and most people are idiots.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Obviously he learned from you, like you stated nimrod
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:02 am

GET OFF MY LAWN.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Smith » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 am

This isn't the new norm; it's the old norm. This exact conversation has been repeated every year since before the invention of smokeless powder. Personally, I don't think it's any different from when I started hunting back in the early '70's. There were jerks then; there are jerks now.
Smith
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 am

Smith wrote:This isn't the new norm; it's the old norm. This exact conversation has been repeated every year since before the invention of smokeless powder. Personally, I don't think it's any different from when I started hunting back in the early '70's. There were jerks then; there are jerks now.

Quite right.
Many people start this sport with little experience. "I see bird, I shoot" is the only "ethic" most people have. Here where I hunt shooting starts at legal time. And no, the birds aren't decoying. What you'll see are boats (some camoed) and NO DECOYS. Their excuse is "well, everyone skybusts anyhow." And - who amongst the inexperienced really trusts their decoys (when they use them). Put them out correctly and no need for the kazoo. I've had woodies decoy. Yes - woodies. On public land, with no one else around.

And I'm one of those "kids" (I guess) that no one "mentored." Learned what little I know all on my own; still learning.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 am

Smith wrote:This isn't the new norm; it's the old norm. This exact conversation has been repeated every year since before the invention of smokeless powder. Personally, I don't think it's any different from when I started hunting back in the early '70's. There were jerks then; there are jerks now.

I agree there has always been idiots out there. It just seems to me that in the last couple years it has really exploded. Not just in waterfowl hunting, but all hunting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:52 am

macdaddy wrote:

Quite right.
Many people start this sport with little experience. "I see bird, I shoot" is the only "ethic" most people have. Here where I hunt shooting starts at legal time. And no, the birds aren't decoying. What you'll see are boats (some camoed) and NO DECOYS. Their excuse is "well, everyone skybusts anyhow." And - who amongst the inexperienced really trusts their decoys (when they use them). Put them out correctly and no need for the kazoo. I've had woodies decoy. Yes - woodies. On public land, with no one else around.

And I'm one of those "kids" (I guess) that no one "mentored." Learned what little I know all on my own; still learning.

You are one of the few that obviously has more than 2 grains of common sense. Learning to duck hunt isn't impossible on your own. It just takes a lot more time and patience.

We are all still learning, I think I learn something new almost everytime I go out.

Stish85
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

The new norm is to blame everyone else because you can't kill a duck.

I get a kick out of hunters that blame everyone but themselves for a bad hunt...you show me a someone that can tell how far I'm shooting from 300-400 yards away, and I'll stop hunting.
:-)
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 am

Stish85 wrote:Today I went out in my home state of Wisconsin. This was to be my 7 year old sons first duck hunting trip. When we arrived there was several other groups out, surprisingly everyone set up at respectable distances. I thought to myself this should be a great morning cold, cloudy and windy. As legal shooting time began to arrive several shots rang out, I glanced down at my watch, 15 minutes early!! Little did I know this was merely the beginning. Once legal shooting hours arrived the whole bay erupted into what sounded like a small war. I could see flocks of divers trading back and forth. As it began to get lighter I noticed the groups to either side of me while shooting a lot were not retrieving many birds. And thought it odd that nothing had come to my spread yet. I soon began to notice the groups consistently taking shots of 80+ yards. If anything turned towards my spread it was getting shot at regardless of distance. I then observed one group get lucky with the proverbial golden bb and the bird sailed about 150 yards from their hide. They made no attempt to retrieve the bird, even though it had fallen in open water. After retrieving one of my birds that was actually able to sneak past the other groups I noticed the group of 6 guys had parked their boats a mere 50 yards from my spread. 6 guys with 3 boats parked right along shore with no attempt made to conceal them. Thought out the day I continued to observe sky busting and non retrieval of game. This saddens me a great deal. I have hunted this area for nearly 15 years and it's only been in the last 3 that I have noticed things like this, it is typically from what appears to be younger hunters, well younger than I am, 28. I even once found a pile of dead redheads in my path out that had just been left there to rot. I called my local warden about them and was troubled when he arrived and attempted to accuse me of shooting too many birds even though the birds had clearly been left for several days. Today was the first time I have ever done hunting of any kind and when I was done I wished I had never even gone. I then had to explain to my son why other hunters were shooting at ducks so far away and not retrieving them when they shot them.

My question is are other hunters experiencing the same problems?

Is this what has become of our sport?

There is a silver lining here, Stish. Your son is learning from an ethical hunter (you) how to hunt. He also learned that not every trip out means birds in the gamebag. It's a lesson for him in right & wrong; as well as personal responsibility (to quote :-)). He saw you do what's right. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 am

Been going on forever, this is why we have regulations, shell restrictions, saftey zones, shooting hours, blind distance rules, are all a result of this and have been around for a long time as well as the people who violate them. Also it always appears as though others are skybusting when observed from a far; put a forty yard string on a balloon and look at it from different perspectives. Also when you hear the shot and look up the bird has already been flared and climbing assuming you are a reasonable distance from them, and whos to say there arnt dead birds laying ten feet from them by the time you look. Crowded hunts suck, but so does paying thousands to belong to a club.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:27 am

We arrived this morning at 330 first guys here. About 530 6 different boats show up and park with 75 yards of us and are hunting 50 yards from each other freaking crazy we can hewr their whole conversation going on
txhunter90
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:37 am

txhunter90 wrote:We arrived this morning at 330 first guys here. About 530 6 different boats show up and park with 75 yards of us and are hunting 50 yards from each other freaking crazy we can hewr their whole conversation going on

was it an interesting conversation?
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 am

15 CT shell limit we have on public WMAS in Arkansas is awesome. The kids run out of shell's early...OR Carry over the limit and risk a ticket.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 am

Shell limits are un-American.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby buffalorider » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 am

greenster wrote:15 CT shell limit we have on public WMAS in Arkansas is awesome. The kids run out of shell's early...OR Carry over the limit and risk a ticket.

Agreed! I wish they'd impose the limits on the WMA's here in TX as well.
feet down, toes up
buffalorider
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 am

Communist.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby beretta24 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 am

Bet those limits work great if you cripple a bird.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Bunker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:03 am

greenster wrote:15 CT shell limit we have on public WMAS in Arkansas is awesome. The kids run out of shell's early...OR Carry over the limit and risk a ticket.

I have to say I like the idea of this because if you really think about it how often do you shoot more than 15 rds on a 6 bird limit (at least where I am its 6). I shot 6 ducks yesterday with 7 shots. If people would learn to shoot better their crimple count would go down and their wouldn't be an issue.

That said I have to agree with Assateague it just seems un-american though.

Question...you say something about a ticket if over the limit. Does anybody count the hulls on the way out to make sure they are picking up their trash too, cuz that should be a ticket-able offense!!!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:09 am

:-) wrote:The new norm is to blame everyone else because you can't kill a duck.

I get a kick out of hunters that blame everyone but themselves for a bad hunt...you show me a someone that can tell how far I'm shooting from 300-400 yards away, and I'll stop hunting.

Ruining it for everyone on the lake, not just my hunt. And I can tell pretty well from 300-400 yards away when geese are sky high.

You can stop hunting now :)
kbooger
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:09 am

The Arkansas shell limit is a good thing. If you can't kill a limit with 15 shells or less you need to shoot clays and stay outa da woods.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby MSparks909 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 am

Same crap goes on here in Eastern NC. During teal season we had guys shooting at Pintails and Black Ducks :no: in addition to the usual 75+ yard hail mary's and setting up 60 yards away. Ridiculous. It only gets worse after January 1st when the deer-duckers come out for the last part of the season. I put in a lot of time and gas into scouting and finding out-of-the-way places that no one hunts. Got my limit of wood ducks yesterday and was back at the dock by 7:30. Not another hunter within 2 miles probably.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 am

:lame: Ha- and I thought all the sky busters lived in Utah? On the federal lands they have made a 10 shell limit if you are 50 feet from any dike. It seems to have helped the sky busting thing :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:31 am

aunt betty wrote:The Arkansas shell limit is a good thing. If you can't kill a limit with 15 shells or less you need to shoot clays and stay outa da woods.

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk

"An assault weapon ban is a good thing. If you can't defend yourself and your family with a 6-shot revolver, you need to spend time on the range or have 911 on speed dial".

This is fundamentally the exact same argument. Do you agree with it, too?
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am

:-) wrote:The new norm is to blame everyone else because you can't kill a duck.

I can see by your answer you are the new norm we are talking about, since you are the only response out of over 30 that blames it on others not being able to kill ducks. I kill 50+ ducks a year even with sky blasting, game leaving idiots that setup less than 100 yards from my spread

Idiots shooting at everything that attempts comes near someone else's is the problem.

It's not that hard to tell when birds are sky high. Might not be able to tell horizontal distance, but vertical distance is pretty easy. And odds if you are 300 to 400 yards away, you are not the guy I'm worried about. Sky blast away those birds will be liking for a safe place to land by time they get to me.

Last edited by Stish85 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stish85
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole