Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Sky busting and poor ethics the new norm?

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Bledsoe didn't get much play time, but he was there for every game. He also worked his azz off to get there. I would like to get a few names of players that were drafted after only playing 1/3 of the games...injured or not it's a vary rare occasion. Like I said, everyone gets lucky a few times a year.

As far as off season goes I also see ducks in parks, and on the golf course...they seem really happy. I wonder how they would act if you started shooting at em daily?

Anyway, good luck out there, and next time you have a bad hunt feel free to put the blame on me. Lord knows you did everything perfect, and those DD loving idiots need to get there own public place to hunt! :-)
:-)
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 pm

bighop wrote:
greenster wrote:Going back to the Arkansas 15 shell limit. This is on Green tree WMA's, where generally 25yds Will be the furthest shot..EVER. In addition to 15 shells No shot larger than #2. I have never ran out of shells..EVER. Yes I have came close.

I think I'd be a waterswatter only with a 15 shell limit.

My first shot usually is a Swat in the deeks
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 pm

:-) wrote:Bledsoe didn't get much play time, but he was there for every game. He also worked his azz off to get there. I would like to get a few names of players that were drafted after only playing 1/3 of the games...injured or not it's a vary rare occasion. Like I said, everyone gets lucky a few times a year.

As far as off season goes I also see ducks in parks, and on the golf course...they seem really happy. I wonder how they would act if you started shooting at em daily?

Anyway, good luck out there, and next time you have a bad hunt feel free to put the blame on me. Lord knows you did everything perfect, and those DD loving idiots need to get there own public place to hunt! :-)

I like how even though I listed of several other environments you focus on the parks and golf courses like that is the only place I would look.

Plus wouldn't you want to know what really happy ducks look and act like so you can attempt to duplicate that in field? Just saying...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:21 pm

And for the record Bledsoe only played 195 games, went to 4 pro bowls, 2 afc championship games and 2 super bowls. So I guess he did not get that much playing time ;)

Stish85
hunter

Postby :-) » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Stish85 wrote:And for the record Bledsoe only played 195 games, went to 4 pro bowls, 2 afc championship games and 2 super bowls. So I guess he did not get that much playing time ;)

You are 100% correct...I was talking about Brady. I apologize.

It's been a long day, and a few years since Brady stepped in to save the day. That was a special day, and the Patriots are a prime example of what people can do when they work together. IMO NE didn't any superstars, but they were a great team...unlike the Cowboys!

I'll argue more in the morning when I get back from hunting...3:00 comes early, and I need some sleep.
:-)
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:52 pm

:-) wrote: DD loving idiots

Do those initials mean Drahthaar Dog? If they do, I'm a proud idiot!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 pm

rank duck wrote:
toolmaker wrote:when i was a kid I had a crossman pump air rifle and I remember all the BB's were golden!!!

none that i ever had ever killed a duck at 80 yards!!

the tool

you probably suffered from soap poisoning...

yes, probably, we did move out of the south!!

PS: when I see quotes to the 20th power, i dont even read ..i just skip on down

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 am

I'm still amazed that there are people who are on board with shell limits. They must have voted for Obama- he's good at telling us what we need, too.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby toolmaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:07 am

assateague wrote:I'm still amazed that there are people who are on board with shell limits. They must have voted for Obama- he's good at telling us what we need, too.

some people need to go to jail when they are bad, some people need to be put into institutions because they cant think or care for themselves, some people should never have matches! and some people should have not have unlimited ammo access! especially while duck hunting!!!!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:15 am

toolmaker wrote:
assateague wrote:I'm still amazed that there are people who are on board with shell limits. They must have voted for Obama- he's good at telling us what we need, too.

some people need to go to jail when they are bad, some people need to be put into institutions because they cant think or care for themselves, some people should never have matches! and some people should have not have unlimited ammo access! especially while duck hunting!!!!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

the tool

Apparently you have never gone after sea ducks/divers.
They don't die easy.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Apparently you have never gone after sea ducks/divers.
They don't die easy.

Oh no you didn't!!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:01 am

I do think the amount of skybusting and unethical behavior has increased over the years past. In the past almost everyone was brought into the sport through their families. Often times if they were skybusters and had ethical issues it was because they were handed down to them but as a general rule hunters that grew up during the 30s or 40s were more conservative and passed that down to their children. Most of the hunters of that era could not afford to waste shells on skybusting.

Now days many hunters are drawn to the sport by it being glamorized on TV. To the point that limits are an expectation rather than a goal. I have noticed a "shoot first ask questions later" mentality when it comes to what they are going to do with the birds they shoot. Thus the piles of unclaimed dead birds.

A question was asked, "how does one learn to shoot at long distance birds without shooting at them?" It's a valid question but one also has to ask" how many birds do I want to wound to achieve that skill and is wounding birds to achieve skill ethical"?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:21 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:A question was asked, "how does one learn to shoot at long distance birds without shooting at them?" It's a valid question but one also has to ask" how many birds do I want to wound to achieve that skill and is wounding birds to achieve skill ethical"?

I got into it with a couple guys about this on the WI forum a while back. The best way to learn how to reliably kill ducks and what high percentage shots are, is to take some low percentage shots, probably cripple some birds, and learn from it. You can burn 10k rounds shooting at clays, that won't make you any better at killing ducks. You get good and knocking down ducks by shooting at them in the field.

The same can be said for bowhunting. You can put 10k arrows in the bullseye at the range. That does not translate into success in the field, it just gives you confidence. When you loose an arrow at a deer or elk, everything you did wrong, or everything you did right, is burned into your memory, and that experience is worth more than all those practice shots.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 am

If you are having those issues with folks not retrieving downed game, call the law. Green Jeans puts a quick stop to that. There are alot of new faces in this sport right now, especially hunting public land. Most guys who are in their late 20's early 30's are joining private clubs or hunting private ground. The best way to approach this stuff is to talk with these kids who are out there, take them hunting with you, and teach them a thing or two. Just this weekend we shot out in a timber hole and a group of kids 16-17 years old watched us walk out. One of my buddies tried to be cool, and say "don't be in this spot tomorrow, were comin back". Where do you think they were the very next day, and they probably did not kill a thing. If that situation was handled differently and we would have talked with them and said hey if y'all want to tag along tomorrow it'd be fine by us, those kids would have had the time of their lives in the timber and learned some things about hunting. We are all guilty of being guarded about alot of this stuff, me especially, but this new generation of waterfowl hunter, (most of which have no guidance in the field because they are first generation hunter alot of the time), need assistance, and need to be shown how to behave in the field, not yelled at and called an a$$hole when they are shooting ducks at 80 yards. They are seeing the pro's do it on tv, and also probably have no concept of yardage on the shots they are firing. In their mind if its close its decoying. Just my 2 cents on it.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

I'm just not seeing all these hundreds of thousands of new hunters flooding the marsh. Take some pictures next time. Better yet, video. Until then, I don't believe you. ("You" in general, not Sconny)
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 am

assateague wrote:I'm just not seeing all these hundreds of thousands of new hunters flooding the marsh. Take some pictures next time. Better yet, video. Until then, I don't believe you. ("You" in general, not Sconny)

Must be nice.

When hunting private property I've noticed an increase in the amount of shooting in my area over the last few years.

And when hunting public land I would say 90% of the shots I watch others take, I would have not taken.

But I don't hunt anywhere that taking video would really be possible. So, you will have to take my word.

Also, where we deer hunt we use to be the only people hunting on about 500 acres, now that has shrunk to about 100 because more and more people have gained permission on the land we don't own.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:22 pm

assateague wrote:I'm just not seeing all these hundreds of thousands of new hunters flooding the marsh. Take some pictures next time. Better yet, video. Until then, I don't believe you. ("You" in general, not Sconny)

Well I highly doubt there are hundreds of thousands in one marsh.

But I have noticed a drastic increase on that public land I hunt. I used to have one or 2 groups in my area. This year I have yet to see less than 5 separate groups. I'm sure it varies area to area

Stish85
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:54 pm

so it WOULDNT be a d*** move to call the gw on people? iv had 3 times out were i felt the need to. but my friends were saying " no dude, thatl just cause more problems! " now i wish i had

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Call, don't give your name, don't give your location. Tell him where the people are and what they are doing, say you want to remain anonymous. If there are other people out there is no way they will know it is you.
BBK
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Maybe the way to rid the sport of all the idiots, sky busters, etc, is to go back to the days of old, 3 bird limits, 2 possession limits, and a 50 day season. Then maybe a guy could get a quality hunt
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Or just have everybody grow a sack and stop bitching about it.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby Underradar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I teach a skybusting seminar. It's called "Leads, Loads and The Sling Method".
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:so it WOULDNT be a d*** move to call the gw on people? iv had 3 times out were i felt the need to. but my friends were saying " no dude, thatl just cause more problems! " now i wish i had

Thats what these guys are here for, I have called a few times. Much better than a possible altercation with firearms close by.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:35 pm

so the local dnr is the place to call right?

If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Hubby called the gw when a group shot 3 separate times before shooting time. I prefer that to a confrontation on the marsh.
Tinner4
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole