Raising and releasing ducks

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Raising and releasing ducks

Postby Tinner4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 pm

So, my mom has in the past raised and released pheasants, hundreds of them. She has the permit to purchase and release them and just called and asked what kind of ducks we think she should do the same with. I think she's planning to buy a pair and raise and release the ducklings. Anyone know the specifics on what permits you have to have? I just want to be sure the permit she has now is all she will need. Also, it would be interesting to band any of the ducks released, any information on that? Hubby and I haven't put a lot of thought into what type we think she should get, but blue wing teal and pintail first came to mind.
Tinner4
hunter

Re: Raising and releasing ducks

Postby boney fingers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I believe they need to be marked buy removal of one toe. This is to indicate that they were not taken from the wild. Anything but mallards are very expensive (100s of $ a pair), not sure you would want to release them. I heard of a guy who hit a hen mallard with his haymower this year. The next day when raking he found her and retrieved the 9 eggs she was sitting on. One broke in the tractor while finishing racking but 8 were brought home and put under a broody hen he had. Close to a month later 8 hatched with one dying the next day. One more died close to the time they were ready to released, but in the end 6 were sent back to hopefully live a long life or at least until they fly past me. This same person also once did the same thing with some turkey eggs but he hatched them in a dry kiln; he banded them with small zip strips but has never heard of any being recovered. Ducks are very dirty compared to other birds, but they are fun watch grow and develop. Good luck.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

She is planning on keeping a pair and releasing the ducklings. I will have to check with FWS I suppose to make sure she has the necessary permits.
Tinner4
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 am

The state will likely frown on "wild" strain duck release plans, and you'll no doubt find just keeping them requires permits.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:47 am

From what I found last night online in Nebraska it seems only mallards can be released. I planned on calling and double checking that before she buys anything.
Tinner4
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 am

Isn't it a lot harder, not to imprint on ducks? I suppose, its easier when the hen is there to run the show, but human contact will still be a factor on the released birds success.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:14 am

That's something to consider too. If anything we can tell her if she wants to do anything she can stick to pheasants and quail. She just asked last night so I started looking into it.
Tinner4
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:16 am

Jim Hills with Frost Waterfowl Trust releases a lot of mallards if you do mallards.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby jcrowder0207 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 am

I spoke to Phil Robertsons at Bass Pro years ago, he actually started raising mallards in south Louisiana, only contact he would have with ducks was strictly at night. He raised a bunch of them and before it was time to relase them, LDWF shut it down and made them kill all of them. He said there biggest concern was spread of disease. Although, he had all the orginal birds disease certified.
jcrowder0207
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 am

jcrowder0207 wrote:I spoke to Phil Robertsons at Bass Pro years ago, he actually started raising mallards in south Louisiana, only contact he would have with ducks was strictly at night. He raised a bunch of them and before it was time to relase them, LDWF shut it down and made them kill all of them. He said there biggest concern was spread of disease. Although, he had all the orginal birds disease certified.

It can come from a lot of different places when birds are concentrated like that. Most likely, the feed.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:36 am

This is from a different state, but has a lot of information to consider before trying this...

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/waterfowl/mallard-release-areas-evaluation.pdf
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks guys, I skimmed across something regarding disease etc. as well. Personally I think it might be best if we tell her to just go with pheasants again.
Tinner4
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole