Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting Beaver Ponds

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  duckboy_390 
#1 ·
Looking at some land that has a lot of beaver ponds on and around it. I've never hunted beaver ponds or swamps. Was wondering if anyone had any advice? Many thanks.

#3 ·
What state are you in?

Have you scouted the area to see if the ducks are using it?

Beaver Ponds and Swamps in PA are "Da Ticket" for Ducks!

I'd hunt a Beaver Pond or Swamp anyday over lakes or rivers.

Bad thing about these 2 is, you have to watch were you step! You could end up over the waders in no time or get stuck in the uderlieing mud!

Most every Swamp or Beaver pond I have hunted here in PA holds Woodies and Mallards.

Every once in awhile we will get Blacks and Gadwalls in these areas.

Every Beaver Pond or Swamp I have found has a TON of feed in it which Equals a BIG MAGNET for Ducks!

We do not use many decoys, maybe a dozen, early in the season, 8-10 woodies and the rest mallards, as it gets colder, we switch to mostly mallards with a few odd balls thrown in.

We hunt the edge of these areas.

I have talked to guys from the Northern part of the state and in New York State, they have Geese using their Swamps and Beaver Ponds. Not the Case in my area, just ducks.

If you can, Do some planting in these areas if they do not hold any feed.

Swamps and Beaver Ponds, I LOVE! Seems atleast in my area, guys don't like to even try to get into them!

#4 ·
If you are using a dog on beaver ponds watch out for sharp branches cut by beavers,they can hurt a dog real bad.Big splashy water entries should be avoided.
As for beaver ponds and swamps,I've never seen one that wasn't a good duck spot.

#5 ·
Yep, the flooded timber (made by beavers) is the best we did this year.
This swamp is tough walking. Tripping over limbs under the water, finding a beaver trench sucks and no place to set your gun down when you need to take a leak. But it is all worth it when the ducks start landing on your head. The trail leading to this swamp is an old RR line. There are trenches on both sides for the old steam engines. The woodies will sit in them and will flush when you walk to the swamp. It is nice to hunt before you hunt.
If that makes any sense...I dunno.

#6 ·
The best "beaver pond" I ever hunted was a place called Sonny's Bar and Grill. Woohoooooooo!!! :tounge: :toofunny:

#8 ·
Another good idea for a beaver pond is a belly bloat, aka float tube. They are great for crossing creek channels and are a godsend if you step off in a hole. When you get to where you want to go you can get out of it and use it to hold your gun or other gear. Nothing beats a bunch of woodies dive bombing a beaver pond at first light. I almost forgot, you better be quick to dispatch any wounded ducks, because they will quickly disappear in all of the lovely cover provided by the beavers. Good luck :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Although season is out I visited the beaver dam that started my duck hunting jaunts when I was about 13. I'm 40 now and still love the lure of Woodies and Mallards pouring in just before sunset. I am blessed in many ways but have a pointing lab that not only loves to duck hunt but also likes to point quail and so I always swing around the edge of the old beaver pond where a covey hides in the thick grass.

My oldest son who is 23 got his start on this beaver dam and my youngest son who is 18 months will probably get his there too, Lord willing.

#10 ·
We have our best hunts on beaver ponds up here in N Minn. but all beave ponds aren't created equal maybe it just that up here there are so many ponds that the ducks favor the ones that offer the best food and cover options. The ones that have flooded timber always seem to be decent ones, especially if the timber is in the form of tamarack, cedar, or spruce. Also the ones loaded with some duck or smart weed and/or wild rice can be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.