Duck Hunting Forum banner

Weird problem with SBE II

4K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  copterdoc 
#1 ·
Today was on a hunt and the gun (SBE II) would occasionally not fire. I would get 1 shot off, then 2nd would just get a click. Or I would get a click on first shot, pull the handle back to load another and the next shot would fire. This seemed to be completely random.

-The shells were ones I always use(tried a few different sized shells/brands, no fix)
-The temperature was about 8 F and -4 F with windchill
-I have hunted with the gun to about -20F before

This summer I cleaned the gun out with G96 and coated mostly everything with it. This is the only thing I can think of? Is it no good in the cold?

Any ideas...it has me stumped. :help:

#2 ·
pull your bolt apart (pull the firing pin, spring, ect) and pull trigger assembly.. soak in warm water and dawn dish soap.. rinse, dry and assemble.. only other thing would be your recoil spring is gummed up and the bolt is not going in to battery.

#5 ·
possumfoot said:
pull your bolt apart (pull the firing pin, spring, ect) and pull trigger assembly.. soak in warm water and dawn dish soap.. rinse, dry and assemble.. only other thing would be your recoil spring is gummed up and the bolt is not going in to battery.
The gun had never done this before...think it would start all of a sudden? Or could the cold weather have more of a negative effect?

t_baker said:
Buy a Beretta.
Not looking to downgrade... :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Get the green said:
Sounds like the bolt is not slamming all the way on the 2nd because its gummed up.. I would think it would have something to do with the G96...
What would be best way to remove the G96? Is there a spray to get rid of it? I am going to give the gun a good cleaning and I want this G96 stuff off in the process.

#9 ·
AB_Gunner said:
Get the green said:
Sounds like the bolt is not slamming all the way on the 2nd because its gummed up.. I would think it would have something to do with the G96...
What would be best way to remove the G96? Is there a spray to get rid of it? I am going to give the gun a good cleaning and I want this G96 stuff off in the process.
I use the break free powder blast without lube. After it's clean and dry use only 2-3 drops of Benelli oil.

#10 ·
If the primers aren't dented there is a good chance your problem is the gun not going into battery. The Wolff +25% recoil spring clears the problem right up. I ran 10k rounds through mine and got 10 years before I had to replace it, the sbe guns seem to have this problem more frequently than the m series guns.

Shouted from the bottom of a well

#12 ·
Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem. There is even a term for it- "the Benelli click". Wolf spring will help, but not completely alleviate. The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.

#15 ·
T Man said:
If the primers aren't dented there is a good chance your problem is the gun not going into battery. The Wolff +25% recoil spring clears the problem right up. I ran 10k rounds through mine and got 10 years before I had to replace it, the sbe guns seem to have this problem more frequently than the m series guns.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
This^^

If you pull your bolt back and gently slide it forward until it stops moving. You should notice that the "rotating head" did not fully rotate into firing position. If you pull the hammer back all the way and release it (letting it slam forward) you should see the bolt completely close (if working properly).

#16 ·
Troutslayer said:
Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem.........The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.
^^^ This guy clearly is not biased, and does not have an agenda ^^^

#18 ·
GomerPyle said:
Troutslayer said:
Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem.........The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.
Definately not. He probably sings the praises of the quality control at Remington though. Or Browning, whos most original idea in the last 20 years has been to copy Benelli's intertia system.

#20 ·
T Man said:
GomerPyle said:
Troutslayer said:
Definately not. He probably sings the praises of the quality control at Remington though. Or Browning, whos most original idea in the last 20 years has been to copy Benelli's intertia system.
I am pretty sure that benelli stole the inertia system from someone else .

#21 ·
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Browning had a long recoil system in the original A5 that Remington got the patent for and produced some guns built on the same principle, but as far as I know, the inertia system was all Benelli.

From Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt:
. Inertia operation was developed by Paolo Benelli in the early 1980s and patented in 1986. Until 2012, all inertia-operated firearms either were made by Benelli, or used a design licensed from Benelli, such as the Franchi Affinity. Then the Browning Arms Company introduced the inertia-operated A5 (trademarked as Kinematic Drive) as successor to the recently discontinued, long-recoil operated Auto-5. Both the Benelli and Browning systems are based on a rotating locking bolt, similar to that used in many gas-operated firearms.
Sorry if I touched a nerve with some Remington or Browning people. Browning builds some excellent guns, and Remington has too, I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.

#22 ·
I am going to the local hunting store to see if they have some wolff recoil springs. Long shot but worth a try before I have to purchase off internet.

To all the guys talking **** about Benelli...this gun has been used extensively for hunting waterfowl in AB for the past 5 years and has never had a hiccup. It's already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.

#23 ·
T Man said:
I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.
Exactly......you want a gun that is guaranteed to go *Bang* virtually 100% of the time, regardless of weather conditions or other factors? go buy a single-shot. when you're dealing with anything mechanical, there are always going to be issues that come up from time to time. and the more moving parts, the more likely that is.

#24 ·
GomerPyle said:
T Man said:
I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.
Exactly......you want a gun that is guaranteed to go *Bang* virtually 100% of the time, regardless of weather conditions or other factors? go buy a single-shot. when you're dealing with anything mechanical, there are always going to be issues that come up from time to time. and the more moving parts, the more likely that is.
It's just particularly pervasive with Benelli products.

#25 ·
T Man said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Browning had a long recoil system in the original A5 that Remington got the patent for and produced some guns built on the same principle, but as far as I know, the inertia system was all Benelli.

From Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt:
. Inertia operation was developed by Paolo Benelli in the early 1980s and patented in 1986. Until 2012, all inertia-operated firearms either were made by Benelli, or used a design licensed from Benelli, such as the Franchi Affinity. Then the Browning Arms Company introduced the inertia-operated A5 (trademarked as Kinematic Drive) as successor to the recently discontinued, long-recoil operated Auto-5. Both the Benelli and Browning systems are based on a rotating locking bolt, similar to that used in many gas-operated firearms.
I should have said the general idea of recoil driven.

#26 ·
Botiz630 said:
GomerPyle said:
T Man said:
It's just particularly pervasive with Benelli products.
no.. usually opporator error.. benellis have very few moving parts..

op said having problems with the first round.. either the firing pin is gummed up, how soapy water will fix it, or he is not letting the bolt slam home..

benellis like to run DRY.. very dry.. to the point that if you can tell the gun has been oiled, its probably too much..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.