Weird problem with SBE II

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Weird problem with SBE II

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 am

T Man wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
I am pretty sure that benelli stole the inertia system from someone else .

Browning had a long recoil system in the original A5 that Remington got the patent for and produced some guns built on the same principle, but as far as I know, the inertia system was all Benelli.

From Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt:
. Inertia operation was developed by Paolo Benelli in the early 1980s and patented in 1986. Until 2012, all inertia-operated firearms either were made by Benelli, or used a design licensed from Benelli, such as the Franchi Affinity. Then the Browning Arms Company introduced the inertia-operated A5 (trademarked as Kinematic Drive) as successor to the recently discontinued, long-recoil operated Auto-5. Both the Benelli and Browning systems are based on a rotating locking bolt, similar to that used in many gas-operated firearms.

I should have said the general idea of recoil driven.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 am

Botiz630 wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:
T Man wrote:I was just trying to prove the point that there is no mass produced gun on the market that is infallible.

Exactly......you want a gun that is guaranteed to go *Bang* virtually 100% of the time, regardless of weather conditions or other factors? go buy a single-shot. when you're dealing with anything mechanical, there are always going to be issues that come up from time to time. and the more moving parts, the more likely that is.

It's just particularly pervasive with Benelli products.

no.. usually opporator error.. benellis have very few moving parts..

op said having problems with the first round.. either the firing pin is gummed up, how soapy water will fix it, or he is not letting the bolt slam home..

benellis like to run DRY.. very dry.. to the point that if you can tell the gun has been oiled, its probably too much..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 am

possumfoot wrote:
benellis like to run DRY.. very dry.. to the point that if you can tell the gun has been oiled, its probably too much..

Ive found this too. It was tough to go from my 870 which liked to be wet to my M1 which runs almost bone dry once it gets cold.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am

possumfoot wrote:benellis like to run DRY.. very dry.. to the point that if you can tell the gun has been oiled, its probably too much..

reckon if my Stoeger 3500 is the same way? It's what I would consider "moderately oiled" and I've had no problems, but I've also not used it in temps below probably 80*

.........I guess I could do a search, but it's easier to ponder the question here and see if someone gives me the answer... :biggrin:
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 am

possumfoot wrote:no.. usually opporator error.. benellis have very few moving parts..

op said having problems with the first round.. either the firing pin is gummed up, how soapy water will fix it, or he is not letting the bolt slam home..

I said sometimes it was the first round, sometimes it would fire one shot and not fire the second. Seemed to be random. I know if you dont let the bolt hit hard it will not shoot, this was not the case. I usually try and press the button for it to reload so I can be sure the bolt is fully closed.
I am starting to think I will clean it off and try running it dry.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:34 am

AB_Gunner wrote:
possumfoot wrote:no.. usually opporator error.. benellis have very few moving parts..

I said sometimes it was the first round, sometimes it would fire one shot and not fire the second. Seemed to be random. I know if you dont let the bolt hit hard it will not shoot, this was not the case. I usually try and press the button for it to reload so I can be sure the bolt is fully closed.

yea, i know.. but i pointed out the first round problem as that would have nothing to do with the spring.. and i'm dead serious whe i say you should soak your broken down bolt and trigger grouping in hot soapy water.. do that, rinse, let dry, then take a paper towel, put a dab of oil on it, and wipe the rails on the carrier.. should run like new... would not hurt to take the time and pull the recoil spring though..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 am

Cold weather + oil = slow system.

First round clicks are typical if you don't let the bolt drive home. It's a Benelli... don't baby it.

I love my SBE 2. Wouldn't trade it for anything... But Berettas are pretty BA...

Second round/third round click sounds like too much oil (as has been stated, don't oil the mechanics of your gun when it's colder than 32ish. I rarely oil it anyway... Dry, dry, dry.) you don't need it. Just get a good gun cleaner...

(example:) http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemic ... flush.aspx)

and blast that cold, gummed up oil outa' that sucker... should run like a champ... (only old, dried up manginas need lube...Benellis and young ladies are fine without it... :grooving: )

If not... buy a Beretta... :hammer:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:52 am

possumfoot wrote:
AB_Gunner wrote:

yea, i know.. but i pointed out the first round problem as that would have nothing to do with the spring.. and i'm dead serious whe i say you should soak your broken down bolt and trigger grouping in hot soapy water.. do that, rinse, let dry, then take a paper towel, put a dab of oil on it, and wipe the rails on the carrier.. should run like new... would not hurt to take the time and pull the recoil spring though..

When my spring finally wore out it sometimes wouldn't shut fully even pushing the button.

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Troutslayer wrote:Ha, I wouldn't classify your problem as "weird". I would use words like standard, normal, common and typical to describe your problem. There is even a term for it- "the Benelli click". Wolf spring will help, but not completely alleviate. The only real solution to your "weird" problem is to get rid of that clicking pos and get yourself something that goes boom every time you pull the trigger.

Weird? My sbe2 goes boom every time I pull the trigger? What's wrong with mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Mine too...

Haters gonna hate...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Non of my pump guns have ever failed to go BOOM, my Dad's & buddies auto loaders were known to screw up on occasion at low temps.

The only pump gun I have ever seen to fail, was my Dad's. He decided to retire his Browning Sweet 16 when steel shot was mandated. He bought a Winchester 1200 pump. It would go BOOM on the 1st squeeze of the trigger, second squeeze, no BOOM, he forgot to pump the action, too many years shooting an autoloader. He went back to the Sweet 16. My buddy referred to the Winchester as Dad's single shot pump. All 3 of us laughed about that! I gave my buddy that gun after my Dad passed away, there were tears & laughter on that exchange, good times & memories.
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. " Red Green.

I tried it, it, it did not work!
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby AB_Gunner » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm

I took the whole gun apart including bolt assembly and trigger. Washed in dish soap as was recommended and used some gun solvent to get the G96 off. Dried/wiped off everything and then sprayed a light dusting of quick dry graphite lube on the rails.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Update:

Last trip of the season resulted in same problem. Had the 870 as a backup so trip was not wrecked. The gun works for the first 30 mins out of the truck but then once gun starts to get cold the bolt does not slam shut as usual. It is very sluggish, I was trying to purposely slam it shut and this did not help. Every shot had a dent on the nipple of the shell but not firing.

What are your guys thoughts? This was in about 0 degree weather.
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:30 pm

I already played this game once with you pick some thing different
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Frylock » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:49 pm

AB_Gunner wrote:Update:

Last trip of the season resulted in same problem. Had the 870 as a backup so trip was not wrecked. The gun works for the first 30 mins out of the truck but then once gun starts to get cold the bolt does not slam shut as usual. It is very sluggish, I was trying to purposely slam it shut and this did not help. Every shot had a dent on the nipple of the shell but not firing.

Recoil spring, recoil spring, recoil spring........did you disassemble that? Clean it or buy a new one, it's the heart of you SBEII, treat it well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Junk guns
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Shells have nipples?

I'll be damned.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:46 pm

The most likely cause of your problem is that you are a getting a buildup of moisture from condensation on some of the internal working parts, caused by going from warm truck to sub-freezing conditions, and then back to warmth.

If you keep your gun case in the truck, and you put a cold gun back in a warm case after the hunt, you will get a lot of moisture in there, and it will remain there until your next hunt if you don't take the gun out and let it dry properly.

G96 flows freely at -74 F, so there's no issue there.

My best advice is to never case a cold gun, but if you do, then take it out when you get home and bring the gun indoors and allow it stay in a warm and dry environment until the next hunt. Ditto for the case.
Also, if you do use the gun in wet conditions, do a thorough breakdown and cleaning immediately.
Lube with G96 or similar synthetic CLP and wipe the parts, leaving just a light film of lube on them, never wet or dripping.
tucker301
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm

La. Hunter wrote:I've heard people reference the Benelli click. Is this what they are talking about?

NO. The Benelli click is reference to a light switch turning on a light bulb and the thought of "should have bought a Beretta!"
coupe1975
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:03 pm

t_baker wrote:Buy a Beretta.

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 pm

copterdoc wrote:Shells have nipples?

I'll be damned.

Can you milk them?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:30 pm

AB_Gunner wrote:Update:

It is starting to sound like a weak hammer spring. The Benelli click wont dent primers as the hammer hits the back side of the bolt before striking the firing pin. There is a chance there is something gumming up your firing pin, but I would almost put money on it being a weak hammer spring. Im not metallurgist, and I may be blowing smoke, but it makes sense to me that a weak spring would be exacerbated by cold temps.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
copterdoc wrote:Shells have nipples?

I'll be damned.

Can you milk them?
Oh yeah, you can milk anything with nipples.
copterdoc
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole