Burning off a rice field.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

What field would you prefer to hunt out of???

A rolled riced field
9
90%
A burnt rice field
1
10%
 
Total votes : 10

Burning off a rice field.

Postby Cypress_Bend » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:41 pm

The farmer just burnt off the rice field and wondering if it will help or hurt our hunting this year.
Cypress_Bend
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am


Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

The odds are.........????? Flood in and see. Time will tell. Well my guess is....
User avatar
Anoldhuntersc
hunter
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby bighop » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 pm

It's baited now. Can't hunt there.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby copterdoc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

bighop wrote:It's baited now. Can't hunt there.

Exactly.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5806
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 pm

It could go either way. The fire likely killed some germination so there could be more grain than if it were rolled, but it could have gotten too hot and popped the grain leaving little behind. I prefer a rolled field mainly because of the extra over it provides.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12336
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby copterdoc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:33 pm

ByersFarm wrote:It could go either way. The fire likely killed some germination so there could be more grain than if it were rolled, but it could have gotten too hot and popped the grain leaving little behind. I prefer a rolled field mainly because of the extra over it provides.
You don't get it.
It's against Federal Law, to hunt a burned crop field.

It doesn't matter what's "better".
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5806
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm

copterdoc wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:It could go either way. The fire likely killed some germination so there could be more grain than if it were rolled, but it could have gotten too hot and popped the grain leaving little behind. I prefer a rolled field mainly because of the extra over it provides.
You don't get it.
It's against Federal Law, to hunt a burned crop field.

It doesn't matter what's "better".


I'm going to assume that the OP means that the field was harvested first. In that case it is not baited.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12336
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby bighop » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 am

copterdoc wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:It could go either way. The fire likely killed some germination so there could be more grain than if it were rolled, but it could have gotten too hot and popped the grain leaving little behind. I prefer a rolled field mainly because of the extra over it provides.
You don't get it.
It's against Federal Law, to hunt a burned crop field.

It doesn't matter what's "better".

I was 85% giving him crap.

It doesn't prohibit hunting burned fields, if that's normal ag practice for the area.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby Cypress_Bend » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 am

The field was already harvested, and apparently it is normal ag practice since there was about 10 other fields on the horizon burning also.


they burned yesterday and the wind was 30-40 mph out of the north. i doubt that it would have gotten hot enough to burn up the seed, but i may be wrong, what you think Byers.
Cypress_Bend
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:46 am

Cypress_Bend wrote:The field was already harvested, and apparently it is normal ag practice since there was about 10 other fields on the horizon burning also.


they burned yesterday and the wind was 30-40 mph out of the north. i doubt that it would have gotten hot enough to burn up the seed, but i may be wrong, what you think Byers.



It depends on a lot of factors. What kind of header it was cut with, if any prep work was done to the stubble, moisture, and wind. It was dry enough here with that wind to really get one burning. All in all I doubt it hurt much if any.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12336
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby Cypress_Bend » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 am

http://www.wildlifemiss.org/magazine/fa05/research.htm

http://deltafarmpress.com/it-s-hammertime-when-ducks-come-calling-arkansas

here are 2 articles about burning and rolling, the first was from a Mississippi State University Study
the other is an interview with Charles Snapps who once ran Davy Crockett Guide Service in Walnut Ridge, AR

after reading these two articles I feel like it wont be that harmfull
Cypress_Bend
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby Underradar » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am

Sophistocated ducks prefer that charcoal-flavored rice.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
User avatar
Underradar
hunter
 
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Rut Coon, LA

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:12 am

Underradar wrote:Sophistocated ducks prefer that charcoal-flavored rice.


Wrong, they prefer propane.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5477
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: Burning off a rice field.

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:31 am

Cypress_Bend wrote:http://www.wildlifemiss.org/magazine/fa05/research.htm

http://deltafarmpress.com/it-s-hammertime-when-ducks-come-calling-arkansas

here are 2 articles about burning and rolling, the first was from a Mississippi State University Study
the other is an interview with Charles Snapps who once ran Davy Crockett Guide Service in Walnut Ridge, AR

after reading these two articles I feel like it wont be that harmfull

My father and Snapp were friends and shared many thoughts on waterfowl management. He's valuable source of information.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12336
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests