i promised some pictures..

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: i promised some pictures..

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:47 pm

possumfoot wrote:we call it grey duck season for a reason.. red head in the timber was a suprise.

Today's bag?
t_baker
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 pm

I haven't seen but a couple flocks of gaddys this year, and that was a few weeks ago. Last year and the year before we saw gaddys every day for nearly the entire season.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm

t_baker wrote:
possumfoot wrote:we call it grey duck season for a reason.. red head in the timber was a suprise.

Today's bag?

yea, early 2 day on the lake..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 pm

possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Today's bag?

:banana: :banana: :banana: push 'em south possum....push them south!! :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 pm

possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Today's bag?

Nice shoot. 3 man limit if I counted right?
t_baker
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Today's bag?

kinda hard for em to move south on the 25mph south wind.. only the lake was open.. and i see no weather to push em further.. i think alot of birds went back north..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:38 pm

possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Today's bag?

kinda hard for em to move south on the 25mph south wind.. only the lake was open.. and i see no weather to push em further.. i think alot of birds went back north..

spoiler! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 am

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Today's bag?

spoiler! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

hey, just calling it like i see it.. :yes:

:lol3:

possumfoot
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 pm

possumfoot wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
possumfoot wrote:over 500k ducks used to be common place.. all with in about 3 miles of us.. at times the counts peaked at over a million, but now 250k would be a wet dream..

What changed?

i think it is a combination of things.. cooling ponds up north. lack of snow cover. lack of long lasting cold. no-till farming. more refuges. more crop left devoted for waterfowl..

at one time, there was a count with several hundred thousand canadas.. now, we would be lucky to see 100 canadas in a season..

the year that we had all the canadas, a pit in the field out infront of us killed over 1200 geese that year.. the pit has since been neglected for so long, it has caved in.. used to be all about the geese here... we were the first ones to adapt, and no one in the area has caught up.. plus the birds have imprinted on us and the refuge for so long, the people that have tried to copy us have not enjoyed the same success.

Our farm in So. Il. used to be the same. I never got to really experience it in its prime from what I hear, but I can remember a few years where we were thick with Canadas. Southern Illinois used to self-proclaim itself as the "Goose Capital of the World" it was so lousy with geese. Now a days the ducks get down here, although in not near as high numbers, and the last big push of geese I can remember was in '04. Things have changed indeed.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole