anyone recognize this place?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

anyone recognize this place?

Postby terryg » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:29 am

terryg
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:46 pm

Nope, but I will go if you tell me :smile:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:04 pm

Sure do! I go to places like that in my dreams every night!!
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:28 pm

Let me guess terry this is five minutes from your new house. I saw the pictures of your new place and it looks sweet.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby txquackhead » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:32 pm

Looks like cooper lake
txquackhead
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:08 pm

That looks like a few places ive been, where is that?
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:58 pm

So Cal is my guess. The mountian outlines should be a dead give away to any of the locals out there as to exactly where it is.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

I know where it is

Postby Quacked-out-Yooper » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Thats heaven where the birds never quit landing, and the shells just keep coming. No plugs, no limits, just sore shoulders
Quacked-out-Yooper
Newb

Postby Snaph » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:03 pm

Quacked...funny thing about your post is that there would be sore shoulders in Heaven. It is kind of like a painful reward. But you gotta have the bruise to go along with it. Lets call it a "duck hunters tattoo".
Snaph
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 pm

Perris in the back Ground?
tstrong
hunter

Postby terryg » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:44 am

all good guesses. the peaks you see in the background are the legendaryy "buttes" found north of sacramento in an area known as the "butte sink".

all around are mountains like this(approx 1000 feet high so really hard to call them mountains) and ther area around uit "sunk" in an earthqauke millions of years ago. it is the wintering grounds of 60 percent of the sprig in noth america. it can be seen as a background in many waterfowl paintings offerd by du and others waterfowl artists. it is also the home of "grey lodge" wmp. saw this view on the way home sunday evening and had to grab a pic.

BTW, i don't get to hunt this but we have about 100,00 acres just like this around that can be hunted.

this pick was taken saturady morning, same area, but with the fog the buttes were covered.

hope you guys think it is pretty as i do!

terryg
hunter

Postby surf_ox » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:45 am

what were those GPS coordinates again???????
Is a frustrated hunter swinging a canoe paddle after sunset at a fall teal breaking any laws?
surf_ox
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:34 pm

One of the Good Lord's finest creations w/o a doubt. Yes - what are those coordinates? Wow.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:59 pm

surf_ox wrote:what were those GPS coordinates again???????

Exactly :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby terryg » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:20 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:
surf_ox wrote:what were those GPS coordinates again???????

Exactly :thumbsup:

look on a map and find marysville/yuba city california. about 50 miles north east of sacramento.

the catch is finding a place where they will let you hunt. that is when you will know you are a real duck hunter:salude:

there is a club 1 1/2 miles up the road from this place that has identical rice fields and they hardly ever have a duck fly over. 3 man pit goes for $4500 :yes:

grey lodge refuge , at the base of the buttes, is open wed, sat, and sunday and will hold 400 hunters at a time. you have to draw or stand in a sweat line. they get about 3000 apps for the 400 spots each day it is open. i opt for takimg picks and shooting my ducks elsewhere as i have finally become a real cal duck hunter. :thumbsup:
terryg
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Well that place isn't anywhere around here because we don't have mountains that big, but I do recall the ducks comming into us like that :tounge:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:59 pm

Simpley AWESOME!
tstrong
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 pm

No thank ya, I dont stand in no line for no christmas sell and i will never stand in one to try and hunt somewhere just to shoot a duck. Dont get me wrong I love to hunt but I rather go 30 times have 2 good days than pay anyone that amount of money to hunt. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:46 pm

nice pics thanx. hope we never have to wait in line to hunt.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:10 pm

Guess i'm the oddball. I have to stand in line to hunt all the time if I want to hunt MO Conservation Refuges. Stand in line, draw pills, hope to draw a low number so I can at least hunt. Hoping to get some land along the Mississippi in the next few years, so I don't have to do this.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:34 pm

I'm in the same boat you are GPS. I live in Calif and I have to wait in line on the freeway to go and wait in line at the refuge. 300 miles one way. I'm just glad I get to get out and hunt. I raise my glass of JD to all of you that get to hunt or even scout new areas on your way home.
tstrong
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:07 am

tstrong: more folks should listen to what you're saying. As much as I complain about W. Pa., @ least we can get permission from farmers as well as hunt state - maintained gamelands. In other states, it's line up or "pay as you go". Problem is, the latter is the trend of the future. Pay up for expensive leases or line up for refuges is how hunting is going. If one can buy land in the heart of the flyways, that's the way to go. But not everyone can. Good info; a wake up call for anyone who's paying attention. :thumbsup:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby terryg » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:19 am

you are correct mark. even if you can afford land ion the heart of the flyway does not mean you can find a place to hunt.

the hardest part about hunting in califiornia is actually hunting a place to hunt.

we have game everywhere but we also have people everywhere. most don't hunt and don't think you should either.

when i get a shot at a duck i consider myself every fortunate. when i get one i feel truly accomplished. when i get 3 or 4 i feel like i have hunted a safari equal to any in the world.

i feel bad for my grandkids as i don't think they will have as much opportunity as i do now. :eek:
terryg
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole