Duck Hunting Forum banner

Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

3K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  OHIODUCKA5 
#1 ·
I couldn't believe my eyes this morning. Flocks of black swans invaded the marsh. I was able to call one in range and drop it. We had a few shots at mallards but they were not responding to my calls. It was great because we were the only ones out there which surprised me. Anyhow here is a pic, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

See less See more
#6 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
i wish we could put a hurt on the cormorants here.
It's selectively legal in 24 states, mainly in the SE....but only for deprivation on certain lakes and fish farms.
Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

#8 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
so y'all are kickin em up north, are you? no fair, because up here theyre more protected than joe schmo. everybody hates them but there is nothing we can do about it.
naw...we're short stopping 'em...... :sarcmark: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

#10 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
i had one land in my inland pond duck hunting spot. it is about six inches of water. what the hell is a cormorant doing landing in 6 inches of water? i clicked the safety off. i admit it....but i didnt shoot.
they will eat damn near anything that swims...even minnows.....

#12 ·
60,000!?!?!? dayumn. i saw a flock of 100+ flying and was surprised. we never used to have nearly as many when i was a kid, a long time ago. i happened to be looking through an old book that belonged to my grandmother, about coastal birds, and it listed cormorants as rare here. what a difference 50 years makes!

#14 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
i wish we could put a hurt on the cormorants here. i bet that i have that in common with lots of people up and down and over the coast. whyy exactly are they protected? all they do is inhale the babies of the fish i want to catch.
I agree. I hate em too. Although it is pretty funny to have em get close when I got a newbie in the boat/blind :yes:

#15 ·
I hunted at the coast last year and had a dude in the blind that would see one from far away and start blowing his goose call. When he saw them close he would hail call. Every time. I wanted to shoot him.

#16 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
60,000!?!?!? dayumn. i saw a flock of 100+ flying and was surprised. we never used to have nearly as many when i was a kid, a long time ago. i happened to be looking through an old book that belonged to my grandmother, about coastal birds, and it listed cormorants as rare here. what a difference 50 years makes!
60k may have been a bit of an exaggeration but easily thousands on the local lakes combined. Florida bay fills with them this time of year as well.

#18 ·
We had some old stakes from our old blind sticking out of the water. We set our new blind about 40 yards away. We were hunting the early season, didn't bother pulling the old stakes out. We had cormorants lighting on the old boards all early season. There were a few less by the time reg season opened.

#23 ·
I wish we could kill them. They are EVERYWHERE here.

One spot in particular they come from across the river and fly to the ocean. There are generally flocks of 25-100 that last about 5-10 minutes. Flock after flock after flock. Easily 3-5k. Every single morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.