Looking at gun safes

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Looking at gun safes

Postby omaha » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am

Ok I know you get what you pay for but with a baby on the way money is gonna be the deciding factor. Have been approved by the wife to spend 450 to 500 on a safe. I could prob go more if i need to. Leaning toward the cannon or the field and stream safe. Need some opinions on both of them.
omaha
hunter

Re: Looking at gun safes

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:36 am

omaha wrote:Ok I know you get what you pay for but with a baby on the way money is gonna be the deciding factor. Have been approved by the wife to spend 450 to 500 on a safe. I could prob go more if i need to. Leaning toward the cannon or the field and stream safe. Need some opinions on both of them.

I bought 5 Cannon safes from Nashville DEA last year. All had locks torched out so I had to repair the doors and locks. I sold 4 and kept the biggest. I love mine. Its the 80 gun I believe. Fire rating is good, very well built. Put it in the least likely place of the house for a fire to start. Regardless of burn time I have seen nice safes still get hot enough to ruin the finish on a gun.
t_baker
hunter

Postby boder » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 pm

When I was looking at getting a safe I did a ton of research online. I settled on getting the Winchester safe from tractor supply company. Not sure who makes it for them but everything I read online this was the safe for must bang for your buck. I also believe a few stores will have safes on sale for Black Friday
boder
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Most of these safes marketed under field and stream or Winchester are made by the same companies as the big names like cannon. check the rating and size and choose from there. I went with the field and stream 24 gun safe anchored it to the floor of my basement. run some desiccant pads in it just in case. I chose to have a Manual lock not a digital lock I feel I don't want a digital aspect to deal with.

Hope I never need it but its there if I do... I have a few daily use guns throughout the house they do no good locked up.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I have a liberty, very pleased with it. I too have manual lock, dont like the digital aspect either. Best place for your safe is in the basement. A "real" burglar will not go in your basement, if you come home, he has no way out (except meeting God).
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby JohnnyUtah » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm

I purchased a Liberty safe last year and have been happy with it. I'm more worried about a house fire than I am a burglar. Burglars tend to be opportunist and avoid anything that looks like work.

Rogers Armor 14 looks like it will fit your needs. For the price of a cheap shotgun you could step up to the 26 gun model. You'll run out of room quicker than you think with the 14 gun model.
JohnnyUtah
Newb

Postby omaha » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:02 pm

We are getting a 16 gun looked at the centurion by liberty, piece of junk, I pulled on the handle and the door bent out. I am not sure about the field and stream 16 cause it has no top or bottom bolts. I want this safe to keep my 3 long guns safe and our important documents. i plan on getting more guns eventually and plan to keep the safe for as long as I live
omaha
hunter

Postby rank duck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:26 pm

get the most you can afford..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M
'Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.'
rank duck
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 pm

boder wrote:When I was looking at getting a safe I did a ton of research online. I settled on getting the Winchester safe from tractor supply company. Not sure who makes it for them but everything I read online this was the safe for must bang for your buck. I also believe a few stores will have safes on sale for Black Friday

Was out of town on Black Friday (I think the sale is actually 1 week), year before last. So last year I made sure I was home to get my Winchester 24 gun safe from Tractor Supply. Was about $560 if I remember right, maybe $200 off.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby hopkins11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:20 am

I don't know if you have Tractor Supply in the area but I bought a Cannon from them last year that I love. They have a big sale for Black Friday so timing is good as well.

Good luck!
hopkins11
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 am

http://www.rhinosafe.com/

My buddy sells them. here is his site http://www.pacificsafe.com/
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:09 pm

family friend of our built a house several years ago...just before pouring the foundation, a small local bank had gone out of business and he was able to buy their walk-in vault when the building was demo'd. he had it brought in on a flat bed truck and had the house built around it.....voila! walk-in gun safe. it was amazing.

I realize this is in no way helpful to you, but it's a cool story related to the topic... :biggrin:
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:15 pm

GomerPyle wrote:family friend of our built a house several years ago...just before pouring the foundation, a small local bank had gone out of business and he was able to buy their walk-in vault when the building was demo'd. he had it brought in on a flat bed truck and had the house built around it.....voila! walk-in gun safe. it was amazing.

I realize this is in no way helpful to you, but it's a cool story related to the topic... :biggrin:

My wife's grandpa laid block for 50 + years. He has built multiple walk in safes. I have a spot in my basement that would be perfect for one. Always wanted to do this.
t_baker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 pm

The safe shown in the video was not bolted down and in an area with lots of access. By bolting it down and putting it in a closet or the end of a narrow hallway it becomes much harder to use a pry bar on it. It's easy to add some fire resistence to it by setting it into a cove that has a couple layers of 5/8 fire rated gypsum on the sides and top. The door might still be the "thin spot but they are normally thicker than the walls anyway.

FYI any safe with a UL listing is tested to the same standards. If it isn't it probably isn't a UL label but something else. Also note that the listing is a MINIMUM. It is possible for a safe to last 44 minutes and 30 seconds (miss the 45 minute rating by 30 seconds and only be rated as a 30 minute safe.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:The safe shown in the video was not bolted down and in an area with lots of access. By bolting it down and putting it in a closet or the end of a narrow hallway it becomes much harder to use a pry bar on it. It's easy to add some fire resistence to it by setting it into a cove that has a couple layers of 5/8 fire rated gypsum on the sides and top. The door might still be the "thin spot but they are normally thicker than the walls anyway.

FYI any safe with a UL listing is tested to the same standards. If it isn't it probably isn't a UL label but something else. Also note that the listing is a MINIMUM. It is possible for a safe to last 44 minutes and 30 seconds (miss the 45 minute rating by 30 seconds and only be rated as a 30 minute safe.

I have pulled out around 5 or 6 safes from fires and as long as the origin wasnt near them, they generally last alot longer than rated. Only had one get toasted and it was in a basement same as where the fire started. And we estimated the fire to be burning over 2 hours before it got called in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
t_baker
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am

t_baker wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:The safe shown in the video was not bolted down and in an area with lots of access. By bolting it down and putting it in a closet or the end of a narrow hallway it becomes much harder to use a pry bar on it. It's easy to add some fire resistence to it by setting it into a cove that has a couple layers of 5/8 fire rated gypsum on the sides and top. The door might still be the "thin spot but they are normally thicker than the walls anyway.

I have pulled out around 5 or 6 safes from fires and as long as the origin wasnt near them, they generally last alot longer than rated. Only had one get toasted and it was in a basement same as where the fire started. And we estimated the fire to be burning over 2 hours before it got called in.

I have heard a basement (where mine resides) is bad because the fire drops into them as the house burns. But I feel better with theifs with it down there.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am

American Security safes are, in my "opinion", the best... but you will pay for 'em.

If I remember correct, most safes will have around a 1" door and a thin wall (can't remember the thickness, but for arguments sake lets say .20").

AMSEC safes have 1" walls as well as doors... but they also cost around $15,000... :crying:

Good luck prying into that, let alone trying to move it...

Do you need that much safe...? no

Are they better... I think so, but what would I know....

I had a Stack On once... :fingerhead:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 am

I have been told Winchester safes are made by Granite. They also have a new Pony series out that is made in the USA. I thought it was a lot of safe for the money. But, I've only owned it about two months, so not long enough to make an honest judgement. Time will tell that.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:46 am

18javelin wrote:
t_baker wrote:

I have heard a basement (where mine resides) is bad because the fire drops into them as the house burns. But I feel better with theifs with it down there.

Your right. But fire spreads up not down. Guaranteed. So if the fire starts on the floor above the basement you never have to worry about the floor falling through.

Only time this is not the case is on arson fire. But arsonist usually light a dwelling structor on the outside so it is uncommon.

t_baker
hunter

Postby bighop » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 am

t_baker wrote:
18javelin wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Your right. But fire spreads up not down. Guaranteed. So if the fire starts on the floor above the basement you never have to worry about the floor falling through.

Only time this is not the case is on arson fire. But arsonist usually light a dwelling structor on the outside so it is uncommon.

Unless you're in space. Then all bets are off.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 am

bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
18javelin wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Havent fought to many fires in space so cant help you there.

t_baker
hunter

Postby bighop » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am

t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
18javelin wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Only good news is that it's much easier to move the safe up there....
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 am

bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
18javelin wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Only good news is that it's much easier to move the safe up there....

You are correct.

t_baker
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 pm

I have a cannon and I love it. Here is a link to the one I have. I got it at the Great Alaska Sportsmans show on special from a local dealer. Worth every penny.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/gun-safes/s45.html
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

It's much less expensive to set up a couple booby traps around the house.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole