Hunting the Tides

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Hunting the Tides

Postby Soup » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 am

I am new to hunting ducks and geese in the Northwest. Specifically the Tacoma, WA area. While reading the migration reports on DU, I've seen several people mention having a "GOOD TIDE" or a "BAD TIDE". I assume the tide has an effect on when you can duck hunt as compared to morning or evening hunts. Not that it affects the ducks movement. Is this correct? Also, what tide is a "GOOD TIDE"?
Soup
Newb

Re: Hunting the Tides

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:45 am

your post has been copied and posted on the Washington forum where you will more than likely get a better answer to your question.

Short answer is that it depends on what the food source is that the ducks are feeding on and whether you are hunting divers or puddlers.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Boatman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:51 am

Most of the time birds will pile in on a falling tide, as vegetation will start to be exposed.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:57 am

Boatman wrote:Most of the time birds will pile in on a falling tide, as vegetation will start to be exposed.

that totally depends on the tidal range involved. If it drops too low where the birds have to walk around on mud, they will wait and come in with a rising tide so they can dabble in shallow water. Ducks prefer to sit on water to feed when they can, geese prefer a mud flat to walk on.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Boatman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Boatman wrote:Most of the time birds will pile in on a falling tide, as vegetation will start to be exposed.

that totally depends on the tidal range involved. If it drops too low where the birds have to walk around on mud, they will wait and come in with a rising tide so they can dabble in shallow water. Ducks prefer to sit on water to feed when they can, geese prefer a mud flat to walk on.....

Totally agree, depends on area, in ours they move best at falling. When it bottoms out or is close to birds are all on the water. At that time you have little or no chance of them flying to your decoys to feed with your decoys. Mainly Atlantic Brant,buffies,and lots of blacks. We don't see many other dabblers.I think the tidal marsh we hunt don't have a good fresh water push.As it's a peninsula surrounded by salt water. Will have to watch the low rising tide. Thanks Swamp.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't when the best is around here. I really like hunting the high tides when it floods out the pot holes in the marsh...but then again on a low tide that takes a ton of water away and leaves lots less areas for them to land in.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:36 pm

strong winds will also amplify the tides either way...by blowing more water out or holding more water in. you guess wrong and it'll be a long night if you get stuck high and dry.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Indaswamp wrote:strong winds will also amplify the tides either way...by blowing more water out or holding more water in. you guess wrong and it'll be a long night if you get stuck high and dry.

Done that before

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:strong winds will also amplify the tides either way...by blowing more water out or holding more water in. you guess wrong and it'll be a long night if you get stuck high and dry.

Done that before

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28

yup, me too, just last week.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole