Alcohol on flights...ENJOY

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Alcohol on flights...ENJOY

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm

http://imatravelninja.com/2012/05/16/ta ... ur-flight/

I was recently tipped off to one of the most unbelievable travel tricks ever. In this day and age of insane security, invasive procedures and removal of freedoms, here’s a bright ray of sunshine. With an unintentional loophole (maybe intentional with some of the drinking habits in Congress), you have the freedom to take the alcohol (or non-alcohol) of your choice on your flight with you.

I first had a discussion with a TSA supervisor about this a couple of months back. My clarifying question was in regards to the 1 qt bag of liquids you are allowed to take through security. The rule is that you can take as many containers that are less than 100ml (~3 oz) each that you can fit in a 1 qt Ziploc style bag. I then specifically asked if alcohol was allowed. The answer was a resounding “Yes!” In fact, he was enthusiastic about it.

To test this, I waited until Amy and I took a recent trip to Vegas. I drove to the Missouri border liquor store, Macadoodles, and purchased ten 50 ml bottles of liquor. Arkansas liquor stores don’t offer the tiny buggers. They were $2.50 each, compared with $7 each on American flights. I decided to fore-go my Listerine and cologne and was able to fit all ten bottles in my liquid bag.

The moment of truth came when I went through the TSA security checkpoint at XNA. I pulled my computer out of my bag, took off my shoes, then reached in and grabbed my 1 qt dream bag. I put it into its own bin, skittishly looked around to see if Tasers we’re being drawn, then moved to the full body scanner. As I walked by the TSA Agent at the scanner, he smiled at me and said, “I like your liquid bag.” I smiled back, more in relief than joy.

I then moved through the scanner, collected my computer, shoes and 500 ml of fun. I asked another Agent if I could take photos and he gave me permission.

So, there you have it. At least for now, you are allowed to take bottles of alcohol that are 100ml (~3 oz) or less through security, as long as they fit in your 1 qt bag.

Some quick tips:

Bottles cost around $7 on the flight, but around $2.50 at a liquor store.
The variety offered at a liquor store will far surpass that on the flight, so you can get the brand you prefer.
Once you buy and use the 50 ml travel bottles, save them so you can refill them later. The refill will cost you around $1 each, based on a $20 1L bottle of alcohol.
There are 88.7 ml in 3 oz. Therefore, you can actually buy 3 oz travel shampoo containers and get more liquor per container, but not necessarily more per bag. The 50 ml travel size is the largest standard size that meets the < 3 oz criteria.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Re: Alcohol on flights...ENJOY

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

so where are the photos?

thanks for the very helpful PSA :beer:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:so where are the photos?

thanks for the very helpful PSA :beer:

Click the link at the top
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm

:fingerhead: i will after i take my laps
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

So stupid :no: .....the entire time I thought you meant that you poured the booze into a zip lock bag......

Cool!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 am

Cheaper to buy a 1.75 and reusable 3 oz travel bottles. Less than a buck an ounce. :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby WTN10 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:02 am

This is happening in the future. I'm terrified of flying but whiskey makes everything better.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

WTN10 wrote:This is happening in the future. I'm terrified of flying but whiskey makes everything better.

^^^this^^^ and maybe a xanax or two
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am

WTN10 wrote:This is happening in the future. I'm terrified of flying but whiskey makes everything better.

This was my life for a time until I started getting upgrades and free Woodford Reserve. :grooving:

I don't mind flying though, except for the other people on the plane and in the airport.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Are you allowed to drink your own alcohol once you get it on the plane?
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes. Sir.

At least I've never been told otherwise.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Bunker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:34 am

I just found this thread and what the OP stated is true and as far as the TSA they could care less as long as you observe the 3oz limit but take it from someone that flys almost as much as the flight crews themselves if you get caught by them they are not I repeat NOT very happy. If you look in the back of the air carriers magazine (no not sky mall or the safety card) the actual magazine and every carrier has one. Somewhere in the back near the snack/movie/route map section it clearly states no outside alcohol. It also says around the no smoking section no e-cigs which are the big trend now a days. That being said bringing your own whiskey and slipping it into your ginger ale when nobodies looking goes a long way (as does the afore mentioned xanax or even valium & KP's...) but I wouldn't go broadcasting it to everybody on the plane. Also if you plan on bringing your own don't give the empties to to the stewardess when they come through unless its the same brand they serve on the plane i.e. Don't hand in a empty smirnoff nip when the vodka they serve is Finlandia BIG no no. The other big one is if they haven't sold much liquor yet you are noticeably chit-housed the gig is up. Other than that Cheers! & travel safe!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 am

Crazy Matt, the travel ninja!
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Bunker wrote: if you get caught by them they are not I repeat NOT very happy.

I almost never fly anymore...but 1) why would they be pissed? Because they didn't get to sell you their own? and 2) who cares if they are pissed...? What could they do about it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Bunker wrote: if you get caught by them they are not I repeat NOT very happy.

I almost never fly anymore...but 1) why would they be pissed? Because they didn't get to sell you their own? and 2) who cares if they are pissed...? What could they do about it?

For one you hit the nail on the head, in the current travel times the carriers are looking to squeeze the common flier for everything they have. As for #2 the common flier could probably care less if they get pissed but in todays travel world they can easily get kicked off the plane (there goes that trip to vegas you already paid for) and in my line of work clients get pissed if you don't show up on time especially when they are footing the bill for the travel. Not saying I don't agree with you and am guilty on several of the above counts and then some just saying better to keep it on the DL.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:04 pm

beretta24 wrote:Yes. Sir.

At least I've never been told otherwise.

I have. And I wasn't told politely. Worth it though, I just chugged the drink and handed it to him after. He was pissed, but I was hammered. Figure I won that round.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:18 pm

I've been doing that for years. And remember to always get the can of mixer...I mean soda. The airlines tend to pour you a drink in a little cup full of ice. Generally if you ask for the can they will give it to you. :thumbsup: And yes, they do get upset when you bring your own booze. I brought a whole pizza onboard one time. After we took off I opened the box and the whole plane smelled like pizza! Everyone was drooling eating their stale peanuts and cardboard crackers. Talk about some dirty looks. I could have sold it by the slice and probably paid for my trip. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm

I typically fly once a week, or that's how it's been lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Bunker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:32 pm

It just so happened when I wrote the prior post I was sitting in Philly waiting for my flight here is what I found in the back of the carrier magazine:

Nov US Airways cover.JPG

US Air Passenger Info #1.JPG

US Air Passenger Info #2.JPG

Now I've never had any problems with bringing on my own food so the pizza idea could be pretty lucrative! :thumbsup:
Bunker
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Delta started cracking down on the chew too about 5 years ago. Flying was kinda fun before that.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Ya just gotta learn how to gut it.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Ya just gotta learn how to gut it.

X2
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 pm

beretta24 wrote:Delta started cracking down on the chew too about 5 years ago. Flying was kinda fun before that.

That is the only time I buy snus or dissolvables. What they don't see can't hurt me.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Ya just gotta learn how to gut it.

X2

Not thanks....nowadays I'm down to a tin for opener and maybe one for one other trip throughout the year.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Funny. My wife and I do this every time we fly. I guess we try to be discrete on the plane but don't really go out of our way trying. Also, I didn't know anyone actually used a baggie to put liquids in. I just cram stuff in my carry on and proceed. Never had an issue.
berudd
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole