I am so old

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: I am so old

Postby Underradar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:36 pm

We bought our cases of shells from a mafia guy who got them from black thugs who stole them from railroad cars.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Water turkeys, indeed!

You callin our President a water turkey?

Underradar
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 pm

winchester1852 wrote:you guys dont shoot lead :eek:

My thoughts exactly :fingerhead:
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm

*****r ****e.

Underradar
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Never was able to hunt with lead but my grandpa left me a few cases of those duck and pheasant loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby thesob » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 pm

Goose Tags. We got 8 per year.
thesob
Newb

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

I remember before mojos (at least before everybody and his brother used one) but that's about it. I love hearing stories of the old days though, wish I coulda seen how much a difference lead really makes.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby Frylock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm so old I cannot remember anything before my last bowel movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:28 pm

blindbound86 wrote:I remember before mojos (at least before everybody and his brother used one) but that's about it. I love hearing stories of the old days though, wish I coulda seen how much a difference lead really makes.

...all depends on the man behind the gun. I've seen some impressive shooting with lead in the hands of some really good crack shots!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm

...all depends on the man behind the gun. I've seen some impressive shooting with lead in the hands of some really good crack shots!

Swamp you gotta keep that stuff quiet man! I have been blaming poor shooting on the inadequacy of steel shot for years! I would have some explaining to do if anyone knew I have never shot lead at a duck. :lol3:
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 pm

my first 'real' solo duck hunt was in 1985. I got invited to hunt extended family property in SW louisiana marsh. I walked out the back door of the house to the pond my dad's cousin told me to go to and sat down, threw out 11 decoys and waited in the small blind. it was cold, misting rain... I remember looking up and ducks were dive bombing the little pot hole. I was shooting a wincheter 20ga. pump and when a flock of gadwalls set over the pond, I pulled up and dropped one. I was so excited, I jumped up and when I did, I slipped on the wet wood floor of the blind and jammed my gun barrel into the mud. I panicked..birds were coming in from every direction looking for shelter from the wind and I could not shoot-I had to clear the barrel. I did as my dad had taught me and removed the barrel to clear the muzzle, but when I did, the magazine spring shot out of the magazine and landed in the pond!! :lol3: That spooked a large flock of ducks off the water when it landed! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I took my pocket knife, cut a tail off my shirt, wrapped it around a piece of cane from the blind and shoved it down the barrel from the breach end to clear it. I remember looking up and seeing all those birds that had been spooked circle and set right back down on the water. I looked out and saw pintails, mallards, widgeons, teal, spoonies, and some divers-can't remember what they were....

I carefully reassembled my gun and when I went to load it, I dropped shells in the water because I was so damn excited! I had to calm myself down...
since I did not have a spring, I was now shooting a single shot, which was no problem for me because I cut my teeth chasing rabbits with a single shot full choke... I picked my shots and picked my birds...
I had strict orders to bring back 3 pintails for the pot of gumbo. (we were on the point system then and pintails were 10 points)
I remember that my next three birds were drake pintails. I made DAMN sure I got those!! don't remember what else I shot other than a mallard later that same hunt, but I brought those ducks back for the gumbo!!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 pm

blindbound86 wrote:

Swamp you gotta keep that stuff quiet man! I have been blaming poor shooting on the inadequacy of steel shot for years! I would have some explaining to do if anyone knew I have never shot lead at a duck. :lol3:

...from Nonc Sid....

"Mey, you need ta adjust da rear sight on dat shotgun boy!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 pm

I still have 8 or 10 boxes of the old Remington Power Piston shells. Not that I was ever the age to shoot them at ducks, but my grandpa had them and gave them to me a year or so ago. They are what I use when I float the river for squirrels.
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 pm

t_baker wrote:I still have 8 or 10 boxes of the old Remington Power Piston shells. Not that I was ever the age to shoot them at ducks, but my grandpa had them and gave them to me a year or so ago. They are what I use when I float the river for squirrels.

Are any of those squirrels named Woodie? :biggrin:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm

ohio mike wrote:
t_baker wrote:I still have 8 or 10 boxes of the old Remington Power Piston shells. Not that I was ever the age to shoot them at ducks, but my grandpa had them and gave them to me a year or so ago. They are what I use when I float the river for squirrels.

Sorry, but I am lost?
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:36 pm

t_baker wrote:
ohio mike wrote:

Sorry, but I am lost?

When I float the river I shoot squirrels and a small colorful bird called a Woodie.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

ohio mike wrote:
t_baker wrote:
ohio mike wrote:

Sorry, but I am lost?

When I float the river I shoot squirrels and a small colorful bird called a Woodie.

OHHHH! Actually I always go during the split. I have considered going during the season and just never have. We were up 2 Sundays ago and seen 10 or 12 woodies and a couple deer. Its so relaxing up there this time of year.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Oh yeah. Years gone by. Have heated with coal in a old coffee can. Shot 7 1/2 lead reloads that were hot!!! Shot some old waterfowl magnums #4 w/4 1/2 drams powder. Sweet!! The dang brass is half the shell. Remember the first years of steel shot. That stuff was crap! Much better today. Still hunt with cork decoys a lot. Nothing's rides waves and current better. When running the creeks and rivers in boat jump
Shooting was an excepted way to hunt. My grandfather drowned on the river that we hunt. We launch boat at cabin and landing that he had in the 60's. corn hole wasn't a bean bag game. Wader and hip boats were crap. Nothing like today. Remember days before Mojo. Having duck tape on gun was ok. Used bread bags to keep feet dry. Still wear old school camo jacket that when new was new school. People give me chit about that jacket a lot. Trying to crank a 20 mercury! Seems like you had to pull that mother 100 times. Gosh dang 20 degrees outside and would be down to nothing but pants and t shirt before she started.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Oh yeah. Years gone by. Have heated with coal in a old coffee can. Shot 7 1/2 lead reloads that were hot!!! Shot some old waterfowl magnums #4 w/4 1/2 drams powder. Sweet!! The dang brass is half the shell. Remember the first years of steel shot. That stuff was crap! Much better today. Still hunt with cork decoys a lot. Nothing's rides waves and current better. When running the creeks and rivers in boat jump
Shooting was an excepted way to hunt. My grandfather drowned on the river that we hunt. We launch boat at cabin and landing that he had in the 60's. corn hole wasn't a bean bag game. Wader and hip boats were crap. Nothing like today. Remember days before Mojo. Having duck tape on gun was ok. Used bread bags to keep feet dry. Still wear old school camo jacket that when new was new school. People give me chit about that jacket a lot. Trying to crank a 20 mercury! Seems like you had to pull that mother 100 times. Gosh dang 20 degrees outside and would be down to nothing but pants and t shirt before she started.

you brought back A LOT of memories with this post!!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:Oh yeah. Years gone by. Have heated with coal in a old coffee can. Shot 7 1/2 lead reloads that were hot!!! Shot some old waterfowl magnums #4 w/4 1/2 drams powder. Sweet!! The dang brass is half the shell. Remember the first years of steel shot. That stuff was crap! Much better today. Still hunt with cork decoys a lot. Nothing's rides waves and current better. When running the creeks and rivers in boat jump

That comment about that mercury made me smile. When I was a little duffer I went out with my uncle and grandpa. Uncle was just out of high school. Grandpa had a old 40 merc tower of power that pulled super hard. That morning we had to break ice at the ramp. When grandpa pulled the rope we always had to get to the front so he had room to move. That day my uncle didnt. I will never forget it. Watched my grandpa pull that rope with all his strength. In one smooth motion the rope came back, his elbow connected with my uncles head, uncle flew out of the boat and slid what seemed to be 10 feet on the ice that managed not to break. We hunted that day, but my uncle wasn't real chipper. Now all my grandpa's boats have electric start.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Used to shoot 7.5's out of a 20 ga.double. (Stoeger Uplander). Wore a Old canvas hunting coat,black rubber hip boots,and a Jones cap. Carried 2 pairs of brown jersey gloves. Used 6 paper decoys and I still have 2 of them. Mostly shot mallards and blacks with a few stray divers. At that time geese were almost non existent. I never killed one until 1982 with a Remington model 11 Sportsman and #4 federals. We didn't have a boat or retriever and carried the decoys in a army duffel bag.On rainy days our blind was a cave the french explorers used to use in the 1700 hundreds on the Maumee River. I really really miss those days. I remember my Dad standing in the backyard pass shooting Blacks going into a cornfield on the edge our neighborhood with a leFever .410 double.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 am

I remember when there was more unposted land than posted..................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am

These are just like the stories my dad tells in the blind today. Charcoal heaters, Gunny sacs full of birds, bread bags as "waders", Deuce Magnums (Lead #2s), and breaking ice with coffee-can-concrete anchors, Coffee @ 7:00am, Beers @ 8:00am.

I've got a good feeling UR will be picking ducks for me in the very near future.....I. can't. wait. :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 am

What's a duck picker?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 am

Indaswamp wrote:

Boy, no kidding!!! Heaters made from coffee cans stuffed with a roll of toilet paper soaked in alcohol, for us. Duck tape was your friend :lol3: Memories......
D Comeaux
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole