I am so old

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: I am so old

Postby Bug Doc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 am

Good memories. In warm weather hunted in canvas sneakers (as that was the only shoes you owned). In cold weather used rubber chest waders, piling on three pairs of socks in a vain attempt to keep your toes from going numb. "Camo" meant a duck-brown cotton coat that was water-resistant in name only. We had paper goose decoys on wood stakes (could only afford a dozen), rubber inflatable duck decoys w/o anchors (only usable in the marsh where they wouldn't drift off too far), and actual wood calls. Shotguns were heavy blued steel and walnut (definitely better than today's camo'd abominations). Shot cheap 'Duck & Pheasant' lead 6's early in the season, but would switch to Winchester SuperX DoubleX 4's when the northerns showed up. Lead 4's would roll up a greenhead a fer' piece away. I'm not quite as old as UR, as our picker charged a quarter for ducks and fifty cents for geese (plucked, dressed, wrapped, and frozen). Had to know how to use a manual choke to start the old Bronco, three-on-the-tree shifter, and needed strong arms to wrestle the manual steering. Only real men need apply...
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:03 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:What's a duck picker?

Long history of "duck picker shacks" here in Louisiana. Not sure about the rest of the country, but some are still in operation in SWLA. We saw a sign on the side of the road in Gueydan advertising duck picking. meant to take a picture, but left town without doing so.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Underradar wrote:When I started hunting we used
Paper shells.
Papier mache decoys
Lead shot
No limits (well, there were limits but no one paid any attention to them)
Charcoal buckets to heat blinds
Left our boats and motors at the lake all season and no one stole them.

The first duck I killed was out of season and after legal hours. When I got home a state trooper car was parked in our driveway, scared the crap out of me, but he was just visiting, a friend of my dad. I did not show him the duck.

We had duck pickers, who charged a dime a duck.

When white perch fishermen got too close to the blind, we shot at them. They always moved and never called the cops, I guess they knew they deserved being shot at.

I can not tell you all I know.

Yall are always there to remind us how crappy we got it now
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Anoldhuntersc wrote:Oh yeah. Years gone by. Have heated with coal in a old coffee can. Shot 7 1/2 lead reloads that were hot!!! Shot some old waterfowl magnums #4 w/4 1/2 drams powder. Sweet!! The dang brass is half the shell. Remember the first years of steel shot. That stuff was crap! Much better today. Still hunt with cork decoys a lot. Nothing's rides waves and current better. When running the creeks and rivers in boat jump
Shooting was an excepted way to hunt. My grandfather drowned on the river that we hunt. We launch boat at cabin and landing that he had in the 60's. corn hole wasn't a bean bag game. Wader and hip boats were crap. Nothing like today. Remember days before Mojo. Having duck tape on gun was ok. Used bread bags to keep feet dry. Still wear old school camo jacket that when new was new school. People give me chit about that jacket a lot. Trying to crank a 20 mercury! Seems like you had to pull that mother 100 times. Gosh dang 20 degrees outside and would be down to nothing but pants and t shirt before she started.

you brought back A LOT of memories with this post!!!

I thought I was the only one to have their parents put those on me... but that was for snowmobiling when I was real little.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:What's a duck picker?

Long history of "duck picker shacks" here in Louisiana. Not sure about the rest of the country, but some are still in operation in SWLA. We saw a sign on the side of the road in Gueydan advertising duck picking. meant to take a picture, but left town without doing so.

Sandusky Bay in Ohio has at least one. The guy who runs it cleans fish in the summer.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Makes me sad some times to see how much things have changed . Just seems that life was easier back in the day :sad:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

technology be the death of this country.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:51 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Makes me sad some times to see how much things have changed . Just seems that life was easier back in the day :sad:

GTFO you getting soft OG. Lol
Easier,less complicated,rougher around the edges. Change is what we live with.boats,gear,guns,etc. Kinda hard to believe the simplicity with which hunting was with all the gadgetry today. I read about plantation owners hunting the same places we hunt out of dug out canoes! Today nobody hunts there with nothing smaller than 16 ft w/60hp some much larger. Seems to me that the process of "going hunting" today is much easier with all the advancements in clothing and equipment. Use to be that freezing half to death was just a part of going duck hunting.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 am

Indaswamp wrote: We saw a sign on the side of the road in Gueydan advertising duck picking. meant to take a picture, but left town without doing so.

Surprises me that seemed novel to you. We've so many there are duck plucker wars in Lake Arthur. Will have to see if I can remember to photograph the house decorating competition between two neighboring ones.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: We saw a sign on the side of the road in Gueydan advertising duck picking. meant to take a picture, but left town without doing so.

Surprises me that seemed novel to you. We've so many there are duck plucker wars in Lake Arthur. Will have to see if I can remember to photograph the house decorating competition between two neighboring ones.

not novel to me Rick, but it is to some on this forum. That post was in response to the question of 'what is a duck picker?"

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Underradar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 am

Ducker Pluckers. My season opens tomorrow.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

I'm guessing you saw Missy's sign in Gueydan, as she's the only one I know of there and near Dave's camp. Might be others, but I bet none can top Timothy and Lena's marketing campaign:

Can't speak to the quality of their work, but you'll not beat the price, either, thanks to an ongoing battle with the pluckers across the street and elsewhere in town.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Do those "pluckin places have a little red light out front?

I can just hear the conversation down in LA."Billy Bob, you was out huntin pretty late, was you with another woman"....Billy Bob " nope I was at the duck pluckers" (snicker snicker).................................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:54 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Do those "pluckin places have a little red light out front?

I can just hear the conversation down in LA."Billy Bob, you was out huntin pretty late, was you with another woman"....Billy Bob " nope I was at the duck pluckers" (snicker snicker).................................

Used to be a place on Maryland's Eastern Shore called Alexander's Plucking Palace that sold the devil out of t-shirts with a naked goose saying "I got plucked at Alexanders". Can't help but think the double entendre boosted those sales.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

I'm guessing you saw Missy's sign in Gueydan, as she's the only one I know of there and near Dave's camp. Might be others, but I bet none can top Timothy and Lena's marketing campaign:

Can't speak to the quality of their work, but you'll not beat the price, either, thanks to an ongoing battle with the pluckers across the street and elsewhere in town.

2 or 3 blocks north from the cabin we stayed in.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 pm

BTW Rick-how long is the turn around time on plucked birds? I've never used a duck picker, always just plucked the birds myself. And how good a job is it? do they look like a store bought chicken when they are done?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm

That varies wildly from place to place, but Alexander's was the only one I've seen that's methods and assembly line approach allowed them to do a good job while you waited. Our camp's current pluckers pickup and deliver but use paraffin, which does a nice job but takes some time. Also charge $3 for ducks and $5 for geese, which is enough to encourage me to scald and pluck my own. Quick and slick once the water's at 180. No way I want something I'm going to eat being part of what I've seen of the $1 a bird places.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Rick Hall wrote:That varies wildly from place to place, but Alexander's was the only one I've seen that's methods and assembly line approach allowed them to do a good job while you waited. Our camp's current pluckers pickup and deliver but use paraffin, which does a nice job but takes some time. Also charge $3 for ducks and $5 for geese, which is enough to encourage me to scald and pluck my own. Quick and slick once the water's at 180. No way I want something I'm going to eat being part of what I've seen of the $1 a bird places.

Gotcha...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Me and my uncle built one of these. You can get all the fingers on amazon and we went to the appliance repair place that we have in our little town and got a old washer tub. It works great. It doesn't even break the skin, pin feathers and all are gone.
t_baker
hunter

Postby dave79 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:36 pm

t_baker wrote:

Me and my uncle built one of these. You can get all the fingers on amazon and we went to the appliance repair place that we have in our little town and got a old washer tub. It works great. It doesn't even break the skin, pin feathers and all are gone.

Does it bruise the meat up at all. Planning on doing 40+ chickens next year.
dave79
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 pm

dave79 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Does it bruise the meat up at all. Planning on doing 40+ chickens next year.

Not at all. Cost us about 50 bucks total. We did about 30 chickens last summer and it took longer for a guy to go in and get the chicken, cut the head off, dip it in the pot than it did to pluck it. Ours works better than the one in the video. We have more fingers going up the sides.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:41 pm

We also cut the head and feet off before throwing it in. Not sure what her plan was in the video. I will get some pictures of ours next time I stop at my uncles.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:42 pm

t_baker wrote:

Da Indacamp needs one of those!!! Dat rooster looks like he's doing the 'funky chicken' in dat tub!!! :lol3: :lol3:

what kind of motor? washing machine motor?? does it work on geese?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:46 pm

t_baker wrote:We also cut the head and feet off before throwing it in. Not sure what her plan was in the video. I will get some pictures of ours next time I stop at my uncles.

please do... I think I already have most of the parts handy.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Da Indacamp needs one of those!!! Dat rooster looks like he's doing the 'funky chicken' in dat tub!!! :lol3: :lol3:

what kind of motor? washing machine motor?? does it work on geese?

We started with a washing machine motor but it went to tell. Ended up with another one that my uncle came up with that I think came off of an industrial fan. Yes it will work on geese. And if the motor stops, you can still turn the drum by hand and it will work just as good.
t_baker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole