I am so old

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: I am so old

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:We also cut the head and feet off before throwing it in. Not sure what her plan was in the video. I will get some pictures of ours next time I stop at my uncles.

please do... I think I already have most of the parts handy.

I will. In the mean time look up whizbang chicken plucker on youtube, and chicken plucker fingers on amazon. You can get a pretty good idea.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:56 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:We also cut the head and feet off before throwing it in. Not sure what her plan was in the video. I will get some pictures of ours next time I stop at my uncles.

I will. In the mean time look up whizbang chicken plucker on youtube, and chicken plucker fingers on amazon. You can get a pretty good idea.

Does it leave enough feathers on the head to be legal in transport from the camp to the house? I see that the plucker pulled all the wing feathers off. Do you soak the birds first, or just throw them in the plucker?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Does it leave enough feathers on the head to be legal in transport from the camp to the house? I see that the plucker pulled all the wing feathers off. Do you soak the birds first, or just throw them in the plucker?

We have cut the heads off of everything we have thrown in it. It usually pulls all the feathers except a few long tail feathers on a chicken. Everything we have ever thrown in it has been scalded for about 15 seconds before hand.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:02 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

We have cut the heads off of everything we have thrown in it. It usually pulls all the feathers except a few long tail feathers on a chicken. Everything we have ever thrown in it has been scalded for about 15 seconds before hand.

I would not be using it for chickens. Would like to bring it to the camp for ducks and use it there if there is a way to ensure a feathered head for transport. Would be useless for me to have it at the house.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I would not be using it for chickens. Would like to bring it to the camp for ducks and use it there if there is a way to ensure a feathered head for transport. Would be useless for me to have it at the house.

I bet you could take a zip lock and cover the head and rubber band around the neck to hold the bag on and be fine. Like I said, it doesnt even break the skin so I am sure that a ziplock would be fine.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:17 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I bet you could take a zip lock and cover the head and rubber band around the neck to hold the bag on and be fine. Like I said, it doesnt even break the skin so I am sure that a ziplock would be fine.

care to experiment with that and report back whether it works?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

care to experiment with that and report back whether it works?

I will do so. If I can figure out youtube I will even post a video.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 pm

ever try it on Doves?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:ever try it on Doves?

Nope.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:14 am

The Whiz Bang is a homemade version of commercial chicken pluckers. Here's a video of Grant's commercial plucker in action at his Sweetlake camp:

Swamp, you'll note they didn't scald the heads, and the feathers where they did scald came off first, while those on the head stuck. And, Dave, once the heart stops pumping blood to it, meat can't bruise.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:56 am

Might need to make me one of them. Any trick to scalding them?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:10 am

beretta24 wrote:Might need to make me one of them. Any trick to scalding them?

Yeah. Dip them in hot water.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:12 am

Rick Hall wrote:The Whiz Bang is a homemade version of commercial chicken pluckers. Here's a video of Grant's commercial plucker in action at his Sweetlake camp:

Swamp, you'll note they didn't scald the heads, and the feathers where they did scald came off first, while those on the head stuck. And, Dave, once the heart stops pumping blood to it, meat can't bruise.

thanks for posting that Rick. I looked for that video last night but the old link was broken. I remember posting the video a while back.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Spunky » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 am

I'm so old that the distant future is now the distant past. Sure do miss the old days.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 pm

beretta24 wrote:Might need to make me one of them. Any trick to scalding them?

Dipped in 180 degree water with a little Dawn dish soap to cut the natural oils until the wing feathers come out easily. Never timed a duck, but timed a speck the other day, and it was almost a minute with me pulling it out periodically for the wing feather test.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote:ever try it on Doves?

I can only imagine the plucking fingers batting a dove out of the park, but when I've had a mess of doves to pluck, I've found plucking them in a bucket of water makes them even easier than easy.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Get the green » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:40 pm

There is an old club in TN that still uses charcoal buckets in they're blinds, oh and they have they're own pick shack and pickers that show up around lunchtime.. They need them too because they shoot a LOT more ducks than anyone in the area..
Get the green
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 am

First hunt in '85 :huh: My oldest son was born in '81. I hunted deer with a long bow. Compound bows weren't invented yet. The only SUV on the market was a jeep. When I walked through he neighborhood with a shotgun on my shoulder the only person to say something about it was the person who wanted to join me.

You know your getting old when your wife says, "Lets run upstairs and make love." and you answer, "Honey, I can not do both."
Freezer
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:47 am

ImageImage
Raided the ammo chest at my parents, found this last box.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:14 am

I see it was bought at a Coast to Coast store.
There used to be one in the town I grew up in.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:12 am

I have dropped the hammer on some crows with those shells haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Freezer wrote:First hunt in '85 :huh: My oldest son was born in '81. I hunted deer with a long bow. Compound bows weren't invented yet. The only SUV on the market was a jeep. When I walked through he neighborhood with a shotgun on my shoulder the only person to say something about it was the person who wanted to join me.

You know your getting old when your wife says, "Lets run upstairs and make love." and you answer, "Honey, I can not do both."

Your getting senile already. Compound bows were invented in 1966. There were all kinds of SUV's out. Blazer, Bronco, Ramcharger.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Spunky wrote:I'm so old that the distant future is now the distant past. Sure do miss the old days.

Just remember....these will be the old days! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Great thread.
I remember when the Jones style hunting hat was the norm if you could afford one.
There was no Gortex, spinners,Muck boots, etc.
I was just a kid but remember some of the old guys still had wooden decoys out.
Some still hand loaded brass shot shells one at a time.
No one had any money.
This was 1951.
The reward I got for tagging along.
Carrie up firewood, pick ducks, pump up water, fill up the kerosene lamps that was out .
Did I enjoy it you bet ya.
I got to skip school.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:22 pm

I have plucked two geese( same day) what a freaking mess....I never did that again..... I was 16 years old and so proud of getting those geese....brought em home for my mother to cook up...my dad said, You have to pluck and clean them....

loved those old Duck and Pheasant loads.... they came in 4's and 6's..... the smaller shot was called rabbit and squirrle I think...

high brass 2-3/4" shells with 3-3/4 dram powder

for long range duck they had max dram and 3 " shells.....1-1/4 oz of shot

was cutting my teeth on hunting in the early 70's

i would have paid $2 NOT to pluck another goose

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole