Playing a butcher

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Playing a butcher

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Greenheadindy wrote:Sounds like a lot of folks enjoy the LEM models, so that's going on the wish list. Never thought abound making goose sausage, but may have to try that someday. Happy thanksgiving all.

I make a lot of hot italian sausage with my geese. Very good.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Tealer wrote:Stand alone over kitchen aid every time. I use an LEM, have done a couple deer, elk and a couple hundred birds every year.

Our extended family has an LEM that is community property. It's like 2 horse power. We also have a 5# sausage stuffer.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:Sounds like a lot of folks enjoy the LEM models, so that's going on the wish list. Never thought abound making goose sausage, but may have to try that someday. Happy thanksgiving all.

Sounds like I may have a grinder found. Mind PM'ing me your recipe?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Indaswamp wrote: We also have a 5# sausage stuffer.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 pm

T Man wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

it is posted on this thread in the recipe forum T Man...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71435
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:18 pm

T Man wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=54338
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:08 am

I have the cheapest lowest powered LEM sold. It is exactly the type everyone warns you not to buy. I have ground over a dozen elk and, don't know how many deer, probably 5-6 antelope. The key is to let the grinder do the work. Always have your meat on the edge of freezing. The warmer the trim is, the more issues with the grinder.
I think they sell the grinder I have for around $100. The first time Sportsman's whse went under, I paid $50 each for three of them. I kept one. We gave my son one and I gave the third to a friend for Christmas. My friend broke his after 3-4 years. My son still has and uses his and so do I.
The problem with using your wifes food processor is they all have nylon gears and sometimes plastic housings too. You want all metal.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:26 am

I have been really happy with this unit dollar for dollar I don't think it gets much better its not a fancy stainless unit or anything but has steel gears and reverse it rips through geese faster then I think anyone would need..it takes me a lot longer to cube up the meat then it does to grind it..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200451267

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385720644.880249.jpg

Some honkers ready to hit the fridge

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385720713.728435.jpg
Northcoast
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

The cheapest electric grinder I've seen is the one from harbor freight. It is around $50 normal price but goes on sale periodically and then you can use their coupon. My "friend" told me there is a 25% off coupon in the newest playboy :thumbsup: . My dad and I each have that grinder and it works fine, just a bit on the slow side. It comes with a sausage stuffer attachment.
sharris
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Shoot, I've been nursing a plastic Rival through three or four deer a year since college in the '70s. But even having shimmed the spring for tighter fit of blades and grinding plate, I have to use the course plate and pass it and the blades on a wet stone fairly often if I don't want to fight silver skin, the great, great majority of which I remove before hand. Looking forward to breaking out a new #5 LEM during the split and seeing if its as good as its reviews. Going to be sorely disappointed if it doesn't simplify things.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole