Nick's Definitive Guide on how NOT to be a Googan

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Nick's Definitive Guide on how NOT to be a Googan

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:58 am

I have had many a morning ruined by someone setting up to close to the spread. Trying to break laws of physics and shooting at birds 120 yards away and daffy duck blowing his DC mallard call at a group of divers. So instead of ranting and complaining I figured I would try a different approach so here it goes.

So you have watched a few episodes of Duck Dynasty or maybe you've seen a group of guys discussing the hunt while at waffle house late in the morning. Whatever it may be that has attracted you to this glorious sport, the hype or maybe even the mystery from tight lipped hardcore fowlers and you say well how do I start please begin with number 1.

1. If your cheap stick to watching duck dynasty or better yet buy the duck commander videos (they are better).
2. You need waders.
3. You need to read the regulations.

4. You need to learn how to identify a bird. (Shooting at a cormorant at 110 yards is not duck hunting)
5. For the love of God practice shooting ( I know that your new Benelli Super Black Eagle is an awesome duck killing machine but it can not kill a duck at 100 yards so don't bother)
6. If you just bought your calls 3 days ago don't even attempt to take them on a hunt until next season after you have practiced for a year. (Its better to be quite and everyone wonder if your and idiot than to blow a call that you don't know how to run and remove all doubt.)
7. Don't get on an online forum and ask where the ducks are. Every one of these guys on here works hard to find birds and they aren't gonna tell Joe blow from down the road. Get out and scout burn some gas look for birds, walk, hike I don't care just put in some work we do. (If you are wondering about how much that costs please refer back to point #1.)
8. Just because you have a pet lab doesn't mean hes a duck dog (Don't bring Fido to the lake if he can't mind his manners at the boat ramp I would hate for my monster of a 120lb lab to kill him.)
9. If a guy beats you to the spot you were gonna hunt don't set up 50 yards away. (That is just a douche bag move and no one likes a douche bag. )
10. If you watch a group of guys shoot ducks and your sitting on the other side of the lake don't get mad when the next group works them and attempt to flare birds. (No one likes a sore loser or a googan flaring birds on purpose)

If you can some how not be like the rest of the newbies or googans you might can actually kill some birds and maybe just maybe change some of the opinions of the true water-fowlers and make some friends.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Re: Nick's Definitive Guide on how NOT to be a Googan

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:14 am

WTFITG ? :huh:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 am

OGblackcloud wrote:WTFITG ? :huh:

I was bored.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:27 am

Tell us how you really feel.

Also, where are the birds at?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:28 am

I don't understand why you blame DD or the Robertsons...they do not hunt on their show.

And who the hell is nick?
Willie
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 am

Willie wrote:I don't understand why you blame DD or the Robertsons...they do not hunt on their show.

Not once did I blame DD or the Robertsons all they are responsible for is shining the lime light on the sport which in my opinion can be a good thing more sales on stamps and license helps. Only the idiots are responisble for their own actions I was bored and figrued I would type up a what not to do based on things I have experinced your not so bright people doing over the years even before duck dynasty and I'm Nick
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

steelshotslayer wrote:
Willie wrote:I don't understand why you blame DD or the Robertsons...they do not hunt on their show.

Not once did I blame DD or the Robertsons all they are responsible for is shining the lime light on the sport which in my opinion can be a good thing more sales on stamps and license helps. Only the idiots are responisble for their own actions I was bored and figrued I would type up a what not to do based on things I have experinced your not so bright people doing over the years even before duck dynasty and I'm Nick

Well hello Nick. I have some inlaws headed to my house today from GA.
Willie
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:34 am

MarkM wrote:Tell us how you really feel.

Also, where are the birds at?

No birds where you are at buddy.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 am

Willie wrote:
steelshotslayer wrote:

Well hello willie and sorry about the inlaws coming to visit if they are anything like mine.
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 am

steelshotslayer wrote:
Willie wrote:
steelshotslayer wrote:

Well hello willie and sorry about the inlaws coming to visit if they are anything like mine.

Actually they are really cool...like them as much or more than my own family. Big Dawg fans, which does get annoying after a while, but whatev.
Willie
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 am

Willie wrote:
steelshotslayer wrote:
Willie wrote:
steelshotslayer wrote:

Actually they are really cool...like them as much or more than my own family. Big Dawg fans, which does get annoying after a while, but whatev.

LUCKY mine is a Gators fan... Ask me how Thanksgiving and Christmas goes. HA
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 am

steelshotslayer wrote:I have had many a morning ruined by someone setting up to close to the spread. Trying to break laws of physics and shooting at birds 120 yards away and daffy duck blowing his DC mallard call at a group of divers. So instead of ranting and complaining I figured I would try a different approach so here it goes.

So you have watched a few episodes of Duck Dynasty or maybe you've seen a group of guys discussing the hunt while at waffle house late in the morning. Whatever it may be that has attracted you to this glorious sport, the hype or maybe even the mystery from tight lipped hardcore fowlers and you say well how do I start please begin with number 1.

1. If your cheap stick to watching duck dynasty or better yet buy the duck commander videos (they are better).
2. You need waders.
3. You need to read the regulations.

4. You need to learn how to identify a bird. (Shooting at a cormorant at 110 yards is not duck hunting)
5. For the love of God practice shooting ( I know that your new Benelli Super Black Eagle is an awesome duck killing machine but it can not kill a duck at 100 yards so don't bother)
6. If you just bought your calls 3 days ago don't even attempt to take them on a hunt until next season after you have practiced for a year. (Its better to be quite and everyone wonder if your and idiot than to blow a call that you don't know how to run and remove all doubt.)
7. Don't get on an online forum and ask where the ducks are. Every one of these guys on here works hard to find birds and they aren't gonna tell Joe blow from down the road. Get out and scout burn some gas look for birds, walk, hike I don't care just put in some work we do. (If you are wondering about how much that costs please refer back to point #1.)
8. Just because you have a pet lab doesn't mean hes a duck dog (Don't bring Fido to the lake if he can't mind his manners at the boat ramp I would hate for my monster of a 120lb lab to kill him.)
9. If a guy beats you to the spot you were gonna hunt don't set up 50 yards away. (That is just a douche bag move and no one likes a douche bag. )
10. If you watch a group of guys shoot ducks and your sitting on the other side of the lake don't get mad when the next group works them and attempt to flare birds. (No one likes a sore loser or a googan flaring birds on purpose)

If you can some how not be like the rest of the newbies or googans you might can actually kill some birds and maybe just maybe change some of the opinions of the true water-fowlers and make some friends.

9. bayou meto opening morning
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole