Bands

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Bands

Postby landon__odell23 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 am

Does anyone know if there are any ratios to nonbanded to banded ducks or the chances of getting one?
landon__odell23
hunter

Re: Bands

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am

landon__odell23 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any ratios to nonbanded to banded ducks or the chances of getting one?

I'm not sure on ratios, but I would say slim to none. Personally in 10 + years of hunting I've never shot a banded duck. Killed several goose bands though.
Last edited by steelshotslayer on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am

Depends on where you are. If you hunt near where they band the ratios are higher and you will shoot a lot more. I have shot thousands of ducks and never shot a banded duck. I don't hunt where they band them. I know guys who hunt areas where they actually look for a band before shooting. They are that common where they hunt.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 am

Attachments
Bands-will-make-her-dance-meme.jpeg
Bands-will-make-her-dance-meme.jpeg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 868 times
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby steelshotslayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:33 am

grizz18 wrote:.

LMFAO
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:40 am

landon__odell23 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any ratios to nonbanded to banded ducks or the chances of getting one?

they band 200,000 a year. and there were 45.6 million counted. You gotta assume only 50% of banded birds are actually shot in their lifetime. And ducks have been known to live 25 years.

Probably like 1 in 100?

1:228 for just one year.
but then account for ducks that lived from the year before and before and before and so on
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:57 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Depends on where you are. If you hunt near where they band the ratios are higher and you will shoot a lot more. I have shot thousands of ducks and never shot a banded duck. I don't hunt where they band them. I know guys who hunt areas where they actually look for a band before shooting. They are that common where they hunt.

Exactly scaup. We hunt on or near a lot of refuges that have banding programs. It's an odd year not to get a few bands. Did get a banded dove last year. That was a first! And on the way out of the area that particular day we coincidentally spoke to the woman that was in charge of the dove banding program!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 pm

It seems like we are in the 1:400 area. Of course some species are worse as I've only killed one banded scaup and one banded spoonbill.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby landon__odell23 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Anybody know about any around DFW? Ntx?
landon__odell23
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 pm

ArkansasRobertson wrote:they band 200,000 a year. and there were 45.6 million counted.

If these numbers are right, the odds are ~45,600,000 divided by 200,000 divided by the average number of seasons a banded bird sees. I have no idea what the average age of a duck in the wild is. I'm sure it is more than 1, but I doubt it is 5. If it's 2, then on average it is ~1 bird banded for every 114 birds, if it is 4 it would drop to 1 out of 57.

During my hunting, we have got 1 band for ever 56 ducks over the last 10 years and 1 band for every 24 Canada geese and 1 band for every 269 snows/ross, although that is just 1 band and 269 snows and ross geese, so that's not a good data point.

Of course, like everybody said. It depends on your proximity to where they band them. They band a lot of geese in our area. My guess is that the 1/24 is probably below average for the area.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:33 pm

50/50

It's either banded or it's not
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:57 pm

I hunted my home state of Oregon for 12 years and never shot a banded duck. In my first season here in Arizona I Shot a banded BWT and to top it off the bird was banded 45 minutes from my hometown back in Oregon. who woulda thunk it :rolleyes:
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:02 pm

blindbound86 wrote:I hunted my home state of Oregon for 12 years and never shot a banded duck. In my first season here in Arizona I Shot a banded BWT and to top it off the bird was banded 45 minutes from my hometown back in Oregon. who woulda thunk it :rolleyes:

sounds like it was meant to be....cool story.

i am still bandless. i do know of a couple trapping sites and if i hunted near them im sure i could get a band. i just do not enjoy watching morning traffic go by while hunting, even if it is technically a legal spot. part of the enjoyment for me is getting away from it all.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:12 pm

i do know of a couple trapping sites and if i hunted near them im sure i could get a band. i just do not enjoy watching morning traffic go by while hunting, even if it is technically a legal spot. part of the enjoyment for me is getting away from it all.

Right with you on that one. I tried a few spots like that when I first moved here. Noooo good.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:
blindbound86 wrote:I hunted my home state of Oregon for 12 years and never shot a banded duck. In my first season here in Arizona I Shot a banded BWT and to top it off the bird was banded 45 minutes from my hometown back in Oregon. who woulda thunk it :rolleyes:

sounds like it was meant to be....cool story.

i am still bandless. i do know of a couple trapping sites and if i hunted near them im sure i could get a band. i just do not enjoy watching morning traffic go by while hunting, even if it is technically a legal spot. part of the enjoyment for me is getting away from it all.

After 10 years of hunting and fishing in the Chicago suburbs, the sounds of the city don't bother me.

I literally had a news helicopter hovering over me one day when I was goose hunting a few years back. I heard the bad car accident happen about 200 yards away. :eek:

Last time I was out archery hunting, very loud Christmas music started to play for awhile :huh:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm

mallards are about 1:225 - 1:250 for us.. seems about the norm for the lower mississippi flyway. some years vary, but it all averages out.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Keep in mind that banding areas are pretty consistent over time and that ducks born in one area (and banded there) are likely to return producing more ducks that will be banded in that area and the cycle will go on and on. most of those duck will likely follow a similar flight path or paths year after year wany similarily winter in the same area year after year. Therefore hunting on that flight path will consistently produce bands while hunting areas not in one of those flight paths will only produce the occassional band.

The five duck bands I have I got in a single year on two seperate hunts in the mid 80s and I have never got another banded duck from that area since.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Keep in mind that banding areas are pretty consistent over time and that ducks born in one area (and banded there) are likely to return producing more ducks that will be banded in that area and the cycle will go on and on. most of those duck will likely follow a similar flight path or paths year after year wany similarily winter in the same area year after year. Therefore hunting on that flight path will consistently produce bands while hunting areas not in one of those flight paths will only produce the occassional band.

The five duck bands I have I got in a single year on two seperate hunts in the mid 80s and I have never got another banded duck from that area since.

very true.. there are 2 areas that that in the last five years i have killed multiple bands from. one site in manitoba and an area about 10sq Mi in sask.of course we get em from ontario, ill, Nd, Minn, and Wis. too.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Also depends on what birds you shoot. If you shot a ton of mallards your odds go up. I shoot a couple of banded mallards every year. Not local birds either.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 am

If you need bands to define you or your hunting go cruise ebay. It's the best banding site around and accessible to all!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 am

Bunker wrote:If you need bands to define you or your hunting go cruise ebay. It's the best banding site around and accessible to all!
If you shop ebay for bands, that most definitely defines you, but I haven't seen anyone here being defined by bands. They are just cool like shooting a rare duck or something unusual.

I shot this goose this year and it is just cool to see a goose with a white cap.

whitecapgoose.jpg

Unfortunately, when I say I shot it, it was crippled on the water after my buddy got it :sad:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:40 am

SpinnerMan wrote:If you shop ebay for bands, that most definitely defines you, but I haven't seen anyone here being defined by bands. They are just cool like shooting a rare duck or something unusual.

Yes it does, I've hunted 25 years and have shot my share of birds and have been fortunate to take 3 that were banded. A goose and mallard from Maine and a Woodie from Iowa. The bands are souvenirs, memories of great hunts and I remember all 3 vividly. It takes something away in my mind to seek out banding sites and areas adjacent with the intent to up the odds of shooting a banded bird. Do you eat the band? No you eat the duck and remember that image ingrained in your mind of squeezing the trigger when you look at the band.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:22 am

Bunker wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:If you shop ebay for bands, that most definitely defines you, but I haven't seen anyone here being defined by bands. They are just cool like shooting a rare duck or something unusual.

Yes it does, I've hunted 25 years and have shot my share of birds and have been fortunate to take 3 that were banded. A goose and mallard from Maine and a Woodie from Iowa. The bands are souvenirs, memories of great hunts and I remember all 3 vividly. It takes something away in my mind to seek out banding sites and areas adjacent with the intent to up the odds of shooting a banded bird. Do you eat the band? No you eat the duck and remember that image ingrained in your mind of squeezing the trigger when you look at the band.
You misunderstood me. I think we are mostly in agreement.

Buying bands is like buying a deer head. If you do that and lie about it or just let them believe something that is not true, it most definitely defines you in very negative terms. You need professional help.

Poaching game for bands or antlers, exactly the same thing.

However, if I know there is a big buck or bands in a particular area, I don't see the problem. That's just hunting on the X is it not? I've checked legs on geese in the air. Never saw one before I shot it, but I don't see a big difference. Clearly I'm trying to up my odds and not blindly hope for random luck when opportunity to do so presents itself.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

eBay bands are way cheaper then earning them the hard way.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Tealer wrote:eBay bands are way cheaper then earning them the hard way.

And full of memories too...."Man, was I lit the night I bought that one!" :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole