Post your birds.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Post your birds.

Postby t_baker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Turkeys that is.

I know its a night early, but once you get to cooking tomorrow throw up a picture and how you prepared it. I am going to do a trash can turkey again.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7874
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio


Re: Post your birds.

Postby TrapperRob » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 pm

t_baker wrote:Turkeys that is.

I know its a night early, but once you get to cooking tomorrow throw up a picture and how you prepared it. I am going to do a trash can turkey again.


Will do.....
We wrap it with cheese cloth and bacon....
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by TrapperRob on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
TrapperRob
hunter
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm
Location: Middle of Delaware

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:33 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385645609.300603.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385645609.300603.jpg (117.61 KiB) Viewed 898 times



Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Boocephus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 am

Bunker wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385645609.300603.jpg



Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

That birds got hooters!! :eek:
Boocephus
hunter
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 am
Location: N.IL.

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:42 am

Sorry is that against the rules of this forum? Should I have photoshopped some pasties on there? :)


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Boatman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:30 am

Image
My 11 year olds first turkey
Image

Got to wait 7 hrs
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 am

Boatman wrote:Image
My 11 year olds first turkey
Image

Got to wait 7 hrs


Mmmmmmm wild bird! :thumbsup: Did you skin it or pluck it?


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Post your birds.

Postby MichaelT » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:01 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385672463.877465.jpg
MichaelT
hunter
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Post your birds.

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:37 pm

image.jpg
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Post your birds.

Postby TXducksanddeer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Yumzz

Image
User avatar
TXducksanddeer
hunter
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:11 am
Location: Waco TX

Re: Post your birds.

Postby t_baker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:20 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1385680793731.jpg

Cooked in the confines of a metal trash can. Tastes amazing.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7874
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Boatman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Bunker wrote:
Boatman wrote:Image
My 11 year olds first turkey
Image

Got to wait 7 hrs


Mmmmmmm wild bird! :thumbsup: Did you skin it or pluck it?


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk


I always take the time to pluck our wild birds, the only way to keep them juicy.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I should have taken a picture of my buddies injected/smoked turkey onda green egg. Or the greaseless frier turkey a few weeks ago....

BTW-wild turkey legs make awesome dressing or pot pies!! :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56918
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post your birds.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:05 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683517.813073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683535.787074.jpg
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I should have taken a picture of my buddies injected/smoked turkey onda green egg. Or the greaseless frier turkey a few weeks ago....

BTW-wild turkey legs make awesome dressing or pot pies!! :thumbsup:


I would like to hear about this dressing. Did you mean dressing for a pot pie??? I've pretty much given up on trying to make them edible always very tough!


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:52 pm

go get the bird wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683517.813073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683535.787074.jpg



Is this heaven?


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Bunker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I should have taken a picture of my buddies injected/smoked turkey onda green egg. Or the greaseless frier turkey a few weeks ago....

BTW-wild turkey legs make awesome dressing or pot pies!! :thumbsup:


I would like to hear about this dressing. Did you mean dressing for a pot pie??? I've pretty much given up on trying to make them edible always very tough!


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

no, I meant turkey and cornbread dressing. this is the recipe I use, but I substitute the meat and stock from wild turkey legs and thighs.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornbread-and-sausage-stuffing/

I boil the turkey legs and thighs downfor about 6 hours to make a stock, then I pull all the meat off the bones. the legs of wild turkeys have numerous little bones in them so be careful de boning that you get them all. I coarse chop the meat and freeze in about 1# packages with 1 cup of stock. When I make the dressing, I add some thyme, sage, corriander, red pepper flakes, and some salt to the turkey meat before folding it into the dressing.

making a stock:
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce35.htm

Turkey pot pie is another different recipe....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56918
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:08 pm

another variation:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56918
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Post your birds.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Bunker wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683517.813073.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385683535.787074.jpg



Is this heaven?


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

Yep. Most turkey seems like its really dry. Wrapping it in bacon keeps moisture in.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:02 am

[quote="t_baker"]
uploadfromtaptalk1385680793731.jpg

Cooked in the confines of a metal trash can. Tastes amazing.[/

Do you use charcoal or wood coals? Also have seen where some add charcoal inside can and some or just outside and on top? Is there any differences?
User avatar
Anoldhuntersc
hunter
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Post your birds.

Postby t_baker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:56 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:
t_baker wrote:
uploadfromtaptalk1385680793731.jpg

Cooked in the confines of a metal trash can. Tastes amazing.[/

Do you use charcoal or wood coals? Also have seen where some add charcoal inside can and some or just outside and on top? Is there any differences?


Charcoal. Just on the outside. I found that on top it will burn the top edge of the turkey.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7874
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks! Going to give it a try.
User avatar
Anoldhuntersc
hunter
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Dakotadog72 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 am

Too late.
Dakotadog72
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:06 am

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Boocephus » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Bunker wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385645609.300603.jpg



Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

Hey Bunker, how was them brestesses? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Boocephus
hunter
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 am
Location: N.IL.

Re: Post your birds.

Postby Bunker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Boocephus wrote:
Bunker wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385645609.300603.jpg



Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

Hey Bunker, how was them brestesses? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:


Supple & Juicy!!!


Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
User avatar
Bunker
hunter
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am
Location: The Bunk


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: possumfoot and 34 guests