Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.
Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup
I live in Northwest Florida about an hour west of Tallahassee. I have just acquired 10 acres of property. It is about 6 miles (as the coot flies) from Lake Seminole and less than a mile from 2 other large ponds that hold lots of ducks but, like Seminole are covered up with tons of inconsiderate hunters. To be honest, most times I really don't feel that safe taking my 7 year old son with me on these public lands.
On the property I have, I have the ability to fairly easily and inexpensively create a small impoundment of about 1/4 acre and flood it via a catfish pond. So I have a few questions:
1. Would an impoundment this small even be worth the trouble?
2. What should I plant for maximum drawing power?
3. Should I put out a few decoys and leave the ducks to notice the area (most of the ducks we shoot around here are teal, ringnecks, and woodies)?
I could also set up an impoundment that could flood a couple acres of bottom that has several large oak trees but that would take more work and more cash but if the small one works out, I might be willing to try it.
Thanks for the help!
- Posts: 33
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 pm
Post in the Florida forum they will help you possibly.
If it was up to me I'd flood the chit out of it and stock it with fish
Sent from my couch
Tengo demasiado caca
- Posts: 19639
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Its Thanksgiving be Thankful
- State Moderator
- Posts: 20506
- Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm
- Location: Minnesota / Calif.
Return to The Honey Hole
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: D Comeaux, TnDude85 and 15 guests